dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  22:04:32
Wow, that one was nice and costly...

But a nice find, nontheless! Good one, JT!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  22:10:37
quote:

Wow, that one was nice and costly...

But a nice find, nontheless! Good one, JT!

i've got no idea what they usually go for, but it's ok by me!
hop it really is a good lookin one!

jt

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  23:49:54
WOW NICE!

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:17
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  00:17:33
WOW.

GREAT FIND!!!!!!!!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  00:25:51
Hope it's the backlit model!!!

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  01:49:08
quote:

Hope it's the backlit model!!!

00014 Macs liberated

Backlit model or not, a Portable is still a SCORE in my book!

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  07:29:21
Just an FYI...we went over this before...

It has been agreed that any eBay finds aren't considered "liberations" unless it is explicitly evident that A) The seller has absolutely no idea what he is selling, B) in the picture (if present), the Mac is dirty, yellowed, missing bezels, etc...

otherwise, it's just another eBay auction won...something anybody can do...real liberations, however, is a skill.

just thought I'd add my 2cents...I won't lock this thread...just because I'm a nice guy

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  07:44:20
nice score on the Portable jt. that was the first Mac I used regularly, and I miss lugging it around - NOT!

<little rant>

Why would you buy an old Mac off eBay if you were'nt going to liberate it? If you're going to polish and clean it's poor old dirty yellow case, and tinker with the insides... Liberation should be based on effort

</little rant>

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  09:07:44
quote:

Just an FYI...we went over this before...

It has been agreed that any eBay finds aren't considered "liberations" unless it is explicitly evident that A) The seller has absolutely no idea what he is selling, B) in the picture (if present), the Mac is dirty, yellowed, missing bezels, etc...

otherwise, it's just another eBay auction won...something anybody can do...real liberations, however, is a skill.

just thought I'd add my 2cents...I won't lock this thread...just because I'm a nice guy

--------------------
--------------------

see my post in this thread:
topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=1134.html

jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  09:20:30
quote:

nice score on the Portable jt. that was the first Mac I used regularly, and I miss lugging it around - NOT!

<little rant>

Why would you buy an old Mac off eBay if you were'nt going to liberate it? If you're going to polish and clean it's poor old dirty yellow case, and tinker with the insides... Liberation should be based on effort

</little rant>

LOL!

i think the only new toy i didn't immediately disassemble and tinker with the insides...polish up and reassemble lovingly is now a high school student! though i certainly spent a lot of time, effort and dinero cleaning that little **** up and playing with him!

i got it off eBay precisely to do all of the aboove, but i never claimed any of my toy acquisitions as liberations as i recall.

whatever! muah!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!haaaaaaaaaaah!
they're MINE! ALL MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  09:33:28
to respond to this and the other thread...if you're posting in "68k Conquests", it's assumed that the threads are of liberation...

Am I incorrect?

--------------------

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  10:00:10
quote:

to respond to this and the other thread...if you're posting in "68k Conquests", it's assumed that the threads are of liberation...

Am I incorrect?

dunno, the title says "finds", the objections that i recall only had to do with what you could claim as liberations in the sig tally, which i have opted out of anyway. (among other things! )

jt

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  15:58:34
If the title of the Forum was 68k Liberations, then by our own definitions, FireWire would be correct.

since it's 68k Conquests (let it be known that I can't type and mis-spelled conquests 3 times before getting it right), then anything that fits the following would seem to apply:

conáquest -- n.
1. The act or process of conquering. See Synonyms at victory.

Winning an auction is a victory of sorts, and as someone that-I'm-too-lazy-to-scroll-down-and-see-exactly-who-it-was said, the forum description says 68k finds. JT found it, wanted it, won it.

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  17:49:51
I stand corrected.

--------------------

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2002 :  18:32:48
As long as we don't sneak 'Conquests' into our Liberation tally...

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 10 Apr 2002 :  01:31:18
Congrats Trash on the buy. Funny how old stuff gets the "boys" here all excited:)

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2002 :  16:54:23
IT'S HERE! i was starting to get worried about it, but my portable came in the mail yesterday!

it wouldn't boot using the power supply that came with it, but the one from my PB100 works like a charm. it came with an apple portable data modem installed, does anybody have any info on this? unfortunately it only has two megs of memory, but 6.0.8 boots from a cold start in a hair over 25 seconds! it's not backlit, but the case is BEAUTIFUL!

looks like there's a spot for a 9 volt battery, does anybody know what that's for offhand, i haven't had time to rtfm! looks like a backup battery or maybe modem power, dunno!

the only other fault i can find is a metal, bar coded inventory control tag somebody stuck onto the lcd/lid under the apple logo thats just a tiny bit crooked. i'd pry it off, but i don't wanna bend it, cuz the NASA logo on it is WAY cool!

jt . .

p.s. hey rex, i'm REALLY excited, remember all the launches! the Gemini program was my favorite!

p.p.s. muahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 05 May 2002 16:58:32Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  01:38:05
Yes Trash, I remember the early days of the space program, back to the days of the Mercury program and the first launch of that. Back in my school days everyone would stop and watch a launch, it was always a big event. Today when a shuttle is launched everyone sort of yawns. The public does not seem to appreciate the sacrifices made to the space program. In another life I would have liked to have been an astronaut, an explorer. I am saddled with mundane things like us all now.
I am one of those guys who tear up when I see a shuttle launch, Gus Grissom was a fellow hoosier and died testing the first Apollo capsule.
Anyway it maybe interesting to know what was on that old Apple you tagged. The NASA logo makes it a cool piece of history. At least we don't collect old memory cores and run mainframes in our basements:)

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  02:01:34
Quick! Run Norton on it before you overwrite the HD! Who knows what you may find...
Anyway, wouldn't it be cool it it was the Mac Portable which was the first computer to send email from space?

Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  03:23:41
quote:
the only other fault i can find is a metal, bar coded inventory control tag somebody stuck onto the lcd/lid under the apple logo thats just a tiny bit crooked. i'd pry it off, but i don't wanna bend it, cuz the NASA logo on it is WAY cool!

Umm...are you sure that you don't actually have the actual Portable that was used to send the first AppleLink from space? Geez you better open it up and check how the trackball is put together...

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7

Say hello to FlyingColours: My new PowerBook 180c!!!!!!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  06:34:36
quote:

quote:

Umm...are you sure that you don't actually have the actual Portable that was used to send the first AppleLink from space? Geez you better open it up and check how the trackball is put together...

i doubt it, i hope that one is in the smithsonian collection, the inventory control barcode/number would make it easy to document, at least the lid anyway! if this turns out to be the one, it'll be on loan to the smithsonian or maybe the intrepid air/sea/space museum the day after i find out! (that way i could visit it!)

the trackball was clunky so i cleaned the rollers up a little, they're a soft translucent amber that i haven't seen before, dunno, what was special about the ones on orbital portables?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  06:52:44
quote:

I am one of those guys who tear up when I see a shuttle launch, Gus Grissom was a fellow hoosier and died testing the first Apollo capsule.

me too! the launch tears AND the fellow hoosier part. the family farm is now a suburb of fort wayne! i spent junior high school in terre haute, do you remember seeing the last of the front engined roadsters running at the brickyard? i kind of lost interest in the 500 after the turbine era, when the homogenation crap started. last time i looked at indy cars they looked like can-am cars with a couple of fender sections missing. i liked it when they built 'em purty, gimme a lotus-ford!

i loved the sprints and midgets, they were really cool before the wings got bigger than the freakin' cars! loved that flying dirt, it was kinda like gallagher's sledge-o-matic schtick with ringing ears and exhaust fumes!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  14:27:05
quote:
the trackball was clunky so i cleaned the rollers up a little, they're a soft translucent amber that i haven't seen before, dunno, what was special about the ones on orbital portables?

they modified it a little so that it could be used in space, where there is zero gravity.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  14:50:58
quote:

they modified it a little so that it could be used in space, where there is zero gravity.

LOL! geez, ya think!

i kinda figured that and was angling for a clue as to what KIND of mods they might have done for use in Zero-G!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  02:50:28
Wow...TRash that is scary we are both hoosier made...lol! I was raised in Indy on the southside and just recently returned from the "Left Coast" after 12 years. Everybody in Indiana is a motorhead, you are in good company. I do remember the old Offenhauser motors, the front engine cars at the 500. The midgets are always the last cars to run at Indy in the fall. They are more exciting to watch. I have been to a couple of motorcross races with the nephews at the RCA dome since I have been back. I have noticed that people get cabin fever and whenever the weather breaks they all get out the old street rods and head to the nearest burger joint. It is great to be home. There is something special to Indiana. I think it is the people:)

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  07:34:35
quote:

Wow...TRash that is scary we are both hoosier made...lol!

jeez! you make it sound like we're factory seconds or something!

quote:
It is great to be home. There is something special to Indiana. I think it is the people:)

i think it's the effects the fumes from the soy bean fields have on the people! have you noticed any increase in yo . . . . .

whatever! the bus exhaust fumes in NYC produce a similar effect!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  07:59:52
quote:

quote:

Wow...TRash that is scary we are both hoosier made...lol!

jeez! you make it sound like we're factory seconds or something!

quote:
It is great to be home. There is something special to Indiana. I think it is the people:)

Well...being from Kentucky, I could fire off a couple of Hoosier jokes, but this really isn't the place

------------------
MacMoose
Benevolent Genius, 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 9 and counting
------------------
Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  00:01:09
Careful MacMoose, I have a whole battery of Kentucky jokes at the ready:) I do think there is something special about the midwest. And yes Trash, there is an odor in the air in Indy at least with the Indy 500 coming up. I think it is all the fumes from the high test gas and beer being consumed there right now...lol! In May the whole state comes alive as activities pick up. People are already putting race flags on their cars here.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 May 2002 :  07:25:12
quote:

Everybody in Indiana is a motorhead, you are in good company. I do remember the old Offenhauser motors, the front engine cars at the 500. The midgets are always the last cars to run at Indy in the fall. They are more exciting to watch.

do they run on the pavement at indy? where was the dirt track near terre haute? i was in junior high school while we were there so it's a little vague, but it sure was exciting!

i had a great model of the first turbine car, the wedge shaped ones were some of the last really beautiful indy cars in my book, the way they've gone they may as well be can-am cars. remember the chapparal and the ford gt? or the meyers manx and then all rest of the dune buggy knock offs running around on the streets!

airplanes'll always be my greatest love tho! since i can't collect those or cars either, i guess i'll have to be satisfied with classic 35mm rangefinder systems and computers! 's ok!

they'll do!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  02:13:52
When I was a kid TRash we would watch the midgets run at the 500 track. They saved those for the fall just before they closed the track for the winter. I liked to watch the midgets race since you could actually see the drivers faces, this was in the late sixties. I don't remember the dirt track at Terre Haute.
I collect diecast to get my fix on cars. My brother and I had alot of different V8 wonders. Anytime I see anything reminding of those days I grab it. It is also my way of remembering him since his death.
I am into digital photography and have some decent equipment. I try to keep up on technology. I have noticed how ungainly laptops are getting. They have bigger screens and weigh less but they are no longer notebook size. The Sony Vaio is the only slimline that I see currently that fits that form factor.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.