UNIX on 68k
 PHP on a microquadra.
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  00:40:37
OK so I have a few linux Quadras around, and one is Angela, my fave lil Quadra 605 - running Debian & a 2.2.19 kernel. I've had apache sitting there as a webserver I installed and did nothing with. Anyhoo, I found a few online opensource forum packages written in PHP and MySQL. First step is to install PHP - and it's working! yay!.

For those who don't know, PHP allows you to embed a few commands in the html of a web page, but instead of your computer receiving those commands and executing them, the SERVER executes them before the page gets to your computer. Lets me use databases and... stuff. I'm going to play with the forum software now, but it'd be nice to have 68k info in a database, called up in dynamically created pages, easily updated... and all running on a 68k :D

dana

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  10:11:53
quote:

it'd be nice to have 68k info in a database, called up in dynamically created pages, easily updated... and all running on a 68k :D

schweeeeet! good luck (i'm jealous)!

jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  10:32:27
So.....PHP is like CGI scripting? Are they the same thing?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  20:09:49
quote:

So.....PHP is like CGI scripting? Are they the same thing?

close enough to - yeah. From the (little again!) that I know, CGI (Common Gateway Interface) is the form of communication between your browser n a script, much like if you look at the top of the url for these forums when posting you'll see something like:

post.asp.method=ReplyQuote.html&REPL....etc

everything after the questionmark there are arguments sent to the "post.asp" script - using... ta-dah, the common gateway interface. The script is written in microsoft ASP... it could be done in perl, or php, or any other language that the webserver can run...

My big problem atm is having PHP talk to SQL to do the database side of things... but that just gives me something to do until the new modem arrives!

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  20:10:38
quote:

quote:

it'd be nice to have 68k info in a database, called up in dynamically created pages, easily updated... and all running on a 68k :D

schweeeeet! good luck (i'm jealous)!

More stuff to break!

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  20:30:01
quote:

More stuff to break!

think positively!
don't you mean: more stuff to modify in new and unexpected ways!

if it aint broke, play with it a little more recklessly!

jt

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  20:39:37
It'd also be good to have the EveryMac thread put into a database which is updated for new acquisitions, then the pages linked off it are updated automatically.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  00:46:44
Good news. PHP is now talking to MySQl - yay!. The forums work, I can create them, look around them, add/remove people... all the admin kinda stuff. There's just one small problem... an error in a php script that won't let me post messages. ha!

I can't do much in the way of putting it online yet, else I would... especially with the above problem, and the 605 isn't set up to mail out passwords yet if you register so... it's all for me to play with a bit more :D. I have a bit of a birthday dinner tonight for my brother in law, so I'll be heading over there and won't be able to touch it till the morning.

dana (this is fun!)

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  00:58:51
quote:

quote:

More stuff to break!

think positively!
don't you mean: more stuff to modify in new and unexpected ways!

if it aint broke, play with it a little more recklessly!

:D.

Truthfully, when it comes to linuxstuff, I do try -not- to break things all that much... I can fix a dud mac OS, but a linux that's gone messed up is aaaaaaaall beyond me just at the moment!

dana

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.