I know less than you do about it!

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Graphite Goodness

USA
88 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  21:37:13
ok ok. You need VPC to mount the floppy images , but thats all i know. Good luck all!

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  22:25:34
you can't mount the images in Mac OS (so the OS6 admin says), you need to use "rawrite" (sp?) to make floppies out of them...

--------------------

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 06 Apr 2002 :  05:48:35
Ok Ok, time for penguin to save the day (or confuzzle the bejezus outta everyone) again. No I do not know how the heck to do any of this. But i DO know I got the hardware to have fun with it. I'm going over to try it on the g4 with VPC 5 right after I'm done typing this. Goodluck to meself! Let you Guys know how it goes.

~The Penguin

P.S. - For these large, not quite 68k file, I've decided to move them to the g4 permamnently. Here I will Run a Different HL Server for these files(Cold Storage). I will let all know when I have done this, and further information on how to contact it will be later.

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 06 Apr 2002 :  07:09:13
O sweet flaming squiggly bejezus!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH
*warning*
This is NOT fun
*end warning*

Ok on a lighter note, I DID get through SOME of the installation on VPC5. However I have no clue what drivers to 'use' off the drivers 'disk.' Why the h*ll does all this have to be so complicated. *cries* I WANT MY GUI BACK!!!!! WAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I have pictures and will UL them to my site later on. Anyone else wanna try? i found this site that helps alot: http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~kjt/software/nextstep/openstep-win.html

But still, need pointers fro drivers seeing as how OpenStep did this:
'vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root
(type 'r' to reboot or 'm' for monitor)'

HELP??

~The Once Again Insane Penguin

There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 06 Apr 2002 :  07:28:13
WooHoo!!!! I WIN!!!! hehehehehe
It is installing right now!!!!! yes!!!!!!

Anyone else trying it and need pointers? I got LOTS.
I am going to do a write up and UL it online later on this weekend. *switches apps really quick* nope, still 'preparing for installation' Let you guys know when it really really works.

*tick tick tick.........*

~The Penguin

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 06 Apr 2002 :  09:00:15
It.....It....It......
IT WORKED!

Yeppers that is right. OpenStep Is 100% completely installed on my g4 under VPC5. Further details will be posted and a write up has been almost completed. Look for more information later. Gotta go back to playing.....

~The Supreme Geek God Penguin!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 Apr 2002 :  09:32:51
quote:

~The Supreme Geek God Penguin!

all hail, emperor penguin!
nice work, t-bird!

jt

p.s. i can never resist a chance to stray WAAAAY off topic!

torpedobird's unauthorized photo biography!
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/seahorse/images/emperorpenguin2.jpeg
http://www.panda.org/toxics/graphics/tx_pic_theemp.jpg
http://emperor-penguin.com/emperor-chick.jpg
http://www.piedmont.k12.ca.us/beach/room20/penguins/171.gif

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 06 Apr 2002 09:35:22Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 06 Apr 2002 :  14:45:08
Woohoo! Hour later and fingers sore I have an installation manual ready!! yay!!
http://www.angelfire.com/or/wojo/OpenStep/install.html
My http server is currently down so yay for my old angelfire account! Oh yeah, btw, there are some piccies on there too! Both the ups and downs of the installation. Although, All in all, it went pretty smooth and easy. I kinda want a windoze box now.................... just to install OpenStep on

~The OS God Penguin

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 06 Apr 2002 :  14:50:06
ok... Would Da Penguin mind putting that VPC image on his Cold server, and has anyone tried a Mac OS X app on OpenStep?

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops 68k
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 06 Apr 2002 :  18:52:19
This all sounds very cool. I want to try installing OpenStep on one of my PCs as soon as I get access to a broadband connection.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 06 Apr 2002 :  21:33:07
Ok, as i have already discussed with timac privately, my VPC image is 2 GB large, not gonna be DL'able for MOST people.
As for OS X apps, I can try this tomorrow.

BTW, would someone 'proofread' my installation shtuff? I cant type worth crap let alone stay coherent very long.

~The Exhausted Penguin

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 06 Apr 2002 :  21:47:14
Is OpenStep easier to install than Linux? I keep trying to install Red Hat 7.1 and Slackware on my PCs, and I keep getting errors.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  07:24:30
Thanks! Now I can put OpenStep on my P166!

OS X apps won't work with GNUStep or OpenStep unless they are recompiled. The dev tools are similar, though.

By the way, where is the dev tools CD image? The great thing about OS X/OpenStep is the programming!

Macs Liberated:
SE, IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400

PCs liberated from Windows: 3Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  07:57:36
Just looking for some software for OpenStep and I found:

http://www.peak.org/next/apps/LighthouseDesign/
Some productivity apps for OpenStep

http://www.peanuts.org/
Lots of OpenStep stuff

http://www.caffeinesoft.com/
Free TIFFany 2 for OpenStep

http://www.stone.com/
Create 5 for OpenStep

Macs Liberated:

Graphite Goodness

USA
88 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  15:28:45
There is some other stuff on os6 and ill get it as soon as I clear up some HD space.

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  17:06:05
Yes OpenStep IS easier to install than linux, imho.
Anyone else install it? If so, notice how scarily similar the two are sometimes. Especially the 'busy' mouse.

Anyhue, someone out there should install it on hardware. I know VPC5 on a dual 800 SOUNDS good, but really, I'm sure a hardware machine would do better, even a windoze one.

~The Penguin

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  18:33:58
quote:

Anyhue, someone out there should install it on hardware. I know VPC5 on a dual 800 SOUNDS good, but really, I'm sure a hardware machine would do better, even a windoze one.

when I get the time, I'm going to download and attempt to install it on my 6100 DOS card...this may take a while, since I have 56k dialup..

--------------------

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  19:42:53
When I need to make large downloads, I usually go to stores like Datavision and CompUSA and leach off the broadband connections that are hooked up to the computers on display. I might be able to go on a Sunday and download this, I have too many old PC's lying around and I must get something out of them.
Would I be able to run Openstep on a 486 laptop with 12 MB of RAM and a 1 gig hd?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  06:25:31
Wonko you *should* be ok on that 486.RAM is the only thing I would be conserned about. Other than that it meets the specs for it. Yepfolks, It says OpenStep will Run on 486's !Woohoo

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  16:10:55
If I can manage to get it downloaded, I'll try to put it on my peecee (a PIII/733). I have an empty 1 gb hard drive installed, which should be plenty of space for it.

yeah, this is my first post, I have been lurking for a while, ever since my brother, Macdaddy, gave me the link...

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  18:02:15
quote:

yeah, this is my first post, I have been lurking for a while, ever since my brother, Macdaddy, gave me the link...

welcome aboard!

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  18:06:29
quote:

If I can manage to get it downloaded, I'll try to put it on my peecee (a PIII/733). I have an empty 1 gb hard drive installed, which should be plenty of space for it.

I don't know if that new of a machine/architecture would be supported by such a (relatively) old operating system...

--------------------

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  19:04:49
It'll work. Drivers and etc. will not be recent enough to take advantage of speakers, monitor cards, etc. that are optimize, but it will basically work. Let us know how it goes!

~The Penguin

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  20:13:50
Extra drivers for newer hardware (SoundBlaster cards, ATI Rage, S3 Virge, etc.) are available on the disk images from Apple's site at http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/MultiCountry/Enterprise/openstep/ along with the rawrite.exe program to write the floppy images to disk.

Macs Liberated:

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  21:05:17
For those of you with iPods and local AppleStores, I'm sure Steve won't mind you using some of their bandwidth...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2002 :  09:36:49
I now have everything necessary to try OpenStep on white hardware. I have a a Compaq Pentium 166 with an IDE hard drive, ATAPI CD-ROM, and an S3 video card. Here's how to get the installation media ready (all I've done so far).

First, download and burn the OpenStep CD image. Disk Copy won't burn the CD image, saying that it won't be mountable after it's burned. You have to use XRay to change the type and creator of the disk image to "RCDm" and "PImg", respectively, and then burn it with Discribe.

NeXT, download rawrite.exe for DOS and put it on the Windoze box you plan to use. You can get it anywhere. Download the install and driver floppy images onto the Windoze box also. Rename the install image to "install.img" (without quotes) and rename the drivers image to "drivers.img" (also without quotes) so RaWrite will recognize them. Double-click on rawrite.exe and the "Micro$oft DOS Box of Doom" will appear. Type in the complete path of the disk image you want to write (for example, c:\openstep\install.img). When asked for a disk drive, type a: or whatever your 3.5" floppy drive is. Insert a blank floppy into the drive and hit enter. The disk image will be written to the disk in the drive. Eject the disk, and repeat this procedure to make the other floppy. Be sure to label them so you know which is which.

That's as far as I've gotten. I haven't tried actually installing OpenStep yet, but I have a 500 MB partition free, so this shouldn't be too hard.

Good luck! I know I'll need it!

Macs Liberated:

jdbon
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts
Posted - 15 Apr 2002 :  07:46:07
There seems to be a problem with 68k.torpedobird.com. Does anyone know how long it will be down? Plus, if anyone already has the openstep image could they mirror it somewhere else?
Thanx

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2002 :  20:10:19
It Works!!! OpenStep 4.2 on Intel Hardware!

After a bit of guilt about stealing, I decided to buy the real OpenStep 4.2 User CD from someone I know. I'm sure the image on the hotline server will work as well, though I destroyed my burned CD of that for fear of conscience). I do not condone illegally downloading OpenStep, but I do suggest that one of us petition Apple to release it into the public domain.

Here's how I went about installing OpenStep for Mach/Intel:

Create the install and driver floppies, as shown.

Use FIPS, Partition Magic, or something similar to create free partition space starting in the first two gigabytes of your hard drive! Yes, that's right, OpenStep doesn't like anything after the 2047th megabyte to start its partition. (Something with the bootloader, I think). I don't know if OpenStep will install on a second hard drive; I only have one.

Right click on My Computer, and write down all the hardware you have and what drives are attached to what controllers.

Stick the Install floppy in the drive and turn the computer on.
OpenStep will come up. Don't do anything at the boot prompt. Select English as the language, say that you will indeed be installing a fresh copy of OpenStep, and choose the correct drivers for your setup. If you have a dual IDE bus (like I do), choose Primary/Secondary (Dual) IDE and ATAPI driver for both the hard drive and the CD-ROM. OpenStep's installer will then come up in a NeXTish window. Choose the disk on which to install OpenStep, and select to use the free space you created earlier for OpenStep. Wait a long while. Follow the instructions from here on out: it's pretty much self-explanatory.

Once Workspace Manager comes up (after installation is complete), you MUST open the prefs panel (double click on the clock) and set a password for yourself. Then, log out, log in as root, and set a password for root. If you do not do this, your system is not secure. Don't log in as root again unless you're installing packages; log in as "me" instead.

Now that OpenStep is installed, when your system boots, press "d" for DOS/Windoze and "n" for OpenStep.

You might want to try out the apps I mentioned further up the page. They're all great apps, but I haven't had a chance to install them yet; I just got the CD today.

Macs Liberated:

Graphite Goodness

USA
88 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2002 :  21:12:29
Say do you think you can upload those floppy disk images to the server. I dont wanna go through the pain of rawrite. It's not ilegal either Apple has them on their server.

Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2002 :  21:16:12
Hey, anyone know if OpenStep will run on VPC 4? That's what I've got, and I'd love to try it out...
Thanks!
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Mac_boy2
Starting Member

8 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2002 :  15:03:55
Where is it on Apple's server? Also how do you get into the cold storage hotline? Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2002 :  17:02:15
OPENSTEP is on our hotline server, if that's what you're talking about...

--------------------

Mac_boy2
Starting Member

8 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2002 :  19:50:26
What I'm asking is where is it on the hotline.

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2002 :  05:31:30
right in the uploads folder on the root level of the server...

I think its something like "openstepuser.tgz" or the like...

--------------------

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.