Balloon Help
 Simple Question?!?
Author Topic  
cee3pee0
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  18:08:12
Alright here's what I got: one 7200/120 (soon to be 7500), one Quadra 840av, one Sony dual external CD drive unit (with CDR). Is it possible to connect all of them together in a SCSI chain?

7200-->External CD-->Quadra 840?

I would like to burn movies from the 840 and mp3's from the 7200 without having to unplug stuff all the time.

mark

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  18:17:34

Unless someone comes to contradict me later, I would have to say No.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  18:19:54
No.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  19:32:08
quote:

Alright here's what I got: one 7200/120 (soon to be 7500), one Quadra 840av, one Sony dual external CD drive unit (with CDR). Is it possible to connect all of them together in a SCSI chain?

7200-->External CD-->Quadra 840?

I would like to burn movies from the 840 and mp3's from the 7200 without having to unplug stuff all the time.

yes!

you need a centronics 50 pin (telco, but with bails instead of screw holddowns) and you should probably have active terminators on the infeed side of each for when the either computer is not connected to the terminated burner. you're looking at a pretty penny in price between the terminators and a switchbox. if a crossover switchbox is available you could try that with one standard terminator on the back end.

i've never tried it, but a DB25 crossover switchbox should work just as well, i never thought of using a crossover box to get around the termination problems before tonight. i used the centronics 50 switchbox on an electronics project and i have used it as a cutout to hot swap SCSI deviced (unpowered) so i didn't have to shut down my mac at times so termination was not an issue. i have two active terminators from old APS drives for the day that i get a decent PC in the shop again.

jt

=8-}

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  20:40:04
somebody correct me, but if there are 2 SCSI ports on the back of the drive, then wouldn't it follow that you could just connect 1 cable to the 840av, then the other cable to the 7500 (all using proper termination, of course)...

it seems too easy to be correct...

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  20:58:49

1) termination
2) SCSI does not work by any sort of logic

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  21:22:55
quote:

somebody correct me, but if there are 2 SCSI ports on the back of the drive, then wouldn't it follow that you could just connect 1 cable to the 840av, then the other cable to the 7500 (all using proper termination, of course)...

it seems too easy to be correct...

might even work if both machines really had a proper SCSI implementation and there actually is provision for having a bus master on both ends of the chain in the spec. dunno, but i'm sure the mac's not gonna have drivers for it.

i have Quickshare, which i could explain in the peripherals forum if anyone is really interested. it makes a two machine network with an ISA card in a PC as SCSI 6 at the end of the mac's chain. the software sets up a virtual disk for the mac on the PC's HDD and allows file transfers at SCSI speeds, but the PC can't use it as a controller. it never made it to System 7, but i'll set it up again someday.

jt

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  21:27:40
I'm not sure what you are saying about the dual cable setup...
Theoretically, if you plugged both computers to the drive, it should work when ONE of the computers is turned on, but not the other.

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  21:37:13
quote:

Theoretically, if you plugged both computers to the drive, it should work when ONE of the computers is turned on, but not the other.

what which who is saying?

technically, it's not good to have SCSI devices that have the same address on the chain even when only one is powered atany given time. i can't imagine having two bus masters in the same config is any better an idea.

jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  21:39:48
quote:

Been there done that with an external scsi hard disk and 2 amigas with scsi...

It ended up trashing one of the amigas internal scsi drives. oops. prolly because the host ID of the computer was the same, was unchangeable, and confused things :D.

AFAIK the host ID of a mac is always either seven or zero (I never remember which!) and with 2 ID's the same on a scsi chain thats all for causing confusion when they're both on!.

But what ~Coxy just said may work just fine, especially since external termination on most macs I've used is something you don't always need - and the mac-thats-not-turned-on may even supply termination as a side effect... if it is unpowered internal termination... thats a hardware level side of things I really couldn't do any more than guess at.

Of course, accidentally turning one mac on while the other is also could screw up the drive on one or both - but hey, thats all part of the fun!.

dana

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  21:47:28
quote:

AFAIK the host ID of a mac is always either seven or zero (I never remember which!) and with 2 ID's the same on a scsi chain thats all for causing confusion when they're both on!.

mac=7
int hdd=0

i always understood it to be the case that one off at all times would be ok for the duplicate id thing, but very recently i read something i thought was trustworthy that said it was definitely NOT a good idea and could lead to dire consequences. dunno!

jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  20:01:30
So much for this being a "Simple Question".
From what I know about SCSI (which is admittedly very little), this would work.
(It works by forming a Daisy Chain-like Localtalk connectors, right?)

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

cee3pee0
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  21:53:37
Yeah, maybe this is not so simple after all. I was thinking of connecting the 7200 SCSI port to the CD Burner SCSI in port the the CD Burner SCSI out port to the 840av SCSI port. Is it possible to change the 840's SCSI ID's?

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  22:01:35
No. You can try to connect the computers in a chain if you don't mind risking your hardware. If you only ever have ONE machine on at a time, it may work.

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 Apr 2002 :  19:19:36
quote:

No. You can try to connect the computers in a chain if you don't mind risking your hardware. If you only ever have ONE machine on at a time, it may work.

00014 Macs liberated

don't do it! here is a link to a good source for mac related stuff.

I got a DB-25 A-a/B-b crossover to A-b/B-a switchbox and a 25 pin passive terminator that screws down like any DB-25 cable from these guys at a computer show today. connect a similar box and terminator as such:

7200--------------A-box-a----------------Terminator-External CD
840A/V------------B-box-b-Terminator

it changes with a flip of the switch (everything powered down to be safe, but it probably would be ok to hot switch WITH LUCK! and a devil may care attitude!) to this config:

7200--------------A-box-b-Terminator
840A/V-----------B-box-a----------------Terminator-External CD

no cable changes, no muss, no fuss, no fried SCSI controller IC's!

the crossover box is not listed, but they do exist!
the box is marked 25/X in magic marker on the bottom.

DB-25 ABXXXXX Switch Boxes:
http://www.cablesonline.net/dbparswitbox.html

Here is something that will be very handy, i got a few, the four way is in use at the moment, works great:

These Switch Boxes are used for sharing MAC Monitors or PC Joysticks:
http://www.cablesonline.net/dbmacorjoysw.html

They also have SCSI switchboxes (Centronics 50):
http://www.cablesonline.net/scsiswitbox.html

haven't tried the DB-25 SCSI switch box yet, but i can't see any reason for it to cause any problems at all!

have fun!
jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 06 Apr 2002 19:24:06Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  14:54:29
I remember reading a while back that certain desktops can run in SCSI dock mode... although I can't remember what cabling was required to accomplish this.

This could give you a partial solution.

Cheers!
CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
1 LC 475
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
2 Powermac 6100s
1 Wallstreet

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  15:40:28
quote:

I remember reading a while back that certain desktops can run in SCSI dock mode... although I can't remember what cabling was required to accomplish this.

do you mean, SCSI Disk Mode? i thought that that was a powerbook only trick, even the duo dock can't do it and it's got the proper connector to use the required powerbook SCSIDM cable! only the mini and micro docks with SCSI are SCSIDM capable in the Duo line.

which desktops have you heard about?

jt

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  20:34:12
Hot switching using a DB-25 switchbox should be alright: the danger in hot plugging is the actualy physical insertion and removal of the plugs.

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  20:44:28
quote:

Hot switching using a DB-25 switchbox should be alright: the danger in hot plugging is the actualy physical insertion and removal of the plugs.

yeah, as long as the switch contacts don't short anywhere in the rotation arc it should be nopro! i thing the terminator and box combo cost around $20 total. not bad at all!

jt

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  21:56:42
quote:
quote:

do you mean, SCSI Disk Mode? i thought that that was a powerbook only trick, even the duo dock can't do it and it's got the proper connector to use the required powerbook SCSIDM cable! only the mini and micro docks with SCSI are SCSIDM capable in the Duo line.

which desktops have you heard about?

Actually I wish I could remember. It was a posting from some guy on a mailing list I used to be on about how surprised he was when he connected two desktops with a scsi cable and one of them went into dock mode.

Of course he could have been BSing

Cheers!
'C

Current score:

1 Apple //e
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
1 LC 475
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
2 Powermac 6100s
1 Wallstreet

Go to Top of Page

zsarillian
Starting Member

23 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  14:32:08
I believe this is possible with certain NuBus ATTO SCSI cards (that have a software/firmware system for assigning up to 105 devices), but I'm not sure that the computers on the ends of the chain could see eachother. No firsthand experience.... yet. Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.