68k Peripherals
 QuickTake 150 as Video Cam
Author Topic  
Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  16:19:14
Ok, let's see if we can come up with a quasi-elegant solution here.

I have a QuickTake 150 (a 100 Plus, but same thing).

I want to use it as a video camera. As far as I know, Apple's software doesn't support this. But the (logical) way to make it DO this is as follows (with caveats and limitations noted):

1) we know that the speed of the camera to take the picture, save it to it's internal Flash RAM and then be pulled to a desktop macheine is measured in seconds, so we're looking at Frames Per Minute.
2) the process would be
a) QuickTake takes picture
b) Picture is downloaded to Mac
c) picture in a window is refreshed

Simple eh?
3) we can use a web browser for viewing, running a script that updates at (TimeOfStepA + TimeOfStepB) + XsecondsBuffer

4) so what do we use to get the actual PHOTOS? anyone haqve a programe that records keystrokes and mouse moves and clicks, and can thus be used to create such a process?

Can we access the QuickTake via QuickTime calls of somekind, and thus use Hypercard?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  16:40:46
You can put you need to have a yellow video out port on the Quicktake, then have the AV ports on the mac to hook into, set the resolution to 800x600 open Apple Video Player and make sure it is all working and download some web cam software, like iCam iThink... If not you can find that I'll search some more.

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops 68k
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  16:41:11
The QuickTake 150 software that I have for mine comes with a lot of built-in scripts to do just that (though I couldn't seem to get them work right). The problem is, I don't think there's anyway to make the camera take a pic without actually pressing the button, only to get the pics and put them somewhere.

I'll try to investigate it further, but there are much easier ways of getting a webcam together!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  16:42:16
quote:
You can put you need to have a yellow video out port on the Quicktake, then have the AV ports on the mac to hook into, set the resolution to 800x600 open Apple Video Player and make sure it is all working and download some web cam software, like iCam iThink... If not you can find that I'll search some more.

That's the QT 200, Ti. The older ones only have serial ports.

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  17:27:23
I know that the QuickTake 100 control panel had a button for "Take Picture"

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  18:37:18
quote:

Ok, let's see if we can come up with a quasi-elegant solution here.

I have a QuickTake 150 (a 100 Plus, but same thing).

I want to use it as a video camera. As far as I know, Apple's software doesn't support this. But the (logical) way to make it DO this is as follows (with caveats and limitations noted):

4) so what do we use to get the actual PHOTOS? anyone haqve a programe that records keystrokes and mouse moves and clicks, and can thus be used to create such a process?

sounds kinda like time-lapse photography at the smallest interval possible, have you searched for that kind of software? you might be able to script a webcam backend function if you start with a piece of time-lapse shareware to handle the camera on the front end. it might be as simple as opening the files after they are written to disk. dunno, just thinkin' out loud.

jt

=8-}

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  18:42:54
You can use QuickKeys, or even AppleScript if the mac software is scriptable... set it to run ever 15/30/60 seconds, and you're away!

This is running off a PMG3 beige tower running Oculus software to grab a frame from a webcam: http://webcam.ucc.asn.au/

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  23:01:25
I greatly imagine that you can still because there are Web Cam's that use serial also so you might be able to work around, or there might be an adapter.

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops 68k
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  13:02:47
I think I found the solution, and here it is!

I just found this today here at work, so i have no idea whether it will work with a QuickTake 150. I assume that if it doesn't automatically tell the QT to take a pic, some of other piece of software will show up that will. I'm going to test it tonight and see if it works as a stand-alone with my own QT150.

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  13:21:38
quote:

I think I found the solution, and here it is!

I just found this today here at work, so i have no idea whether it will work with a QuickTake 150. I assume that if it doesn't automatically tell the QT to take a pic, some of other piece of software will show up that will. I'm going to test it tonight and see if it works as a stand-alone with my own QT150.

hey, cinemo, might want to list the whole url to downloads, pages are ok to embed as long as you post a warning to the bandwidth impaired if in the case of prohibitive loadtimes, but i know i don't like hitting a link for a download without knowing about it what it is first.

should the warroom crowd formulate some guidelines now that the army is getting larger?

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  13:41:31
Well, JT, I know where you're coming from- but I figured I'd surprise Marchie (or whoever else decides to d/l it)! That and it's only 25k...even on dialup that shouldn't take more than a few seconds!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  14:49:32
quote:

Well, JT, I know where you're coming from- but I figured I'd surprise Marchie (or whoever else decides to d/l it)! That and it's only 25k...even on dialup that shouldn't take more than a few seconds!

yup! but if somebody didn't really want it, forgot about it and opened it later to find out what it was?
V*I*R*U*S*! it might not be a good thing, ya never know!

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  15:41:12
Heh heh, I know...being a MacHead, you sometimes forget that there are such things are virii...

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  21:03:40
Heck, it downloaded before I could stop it... damn IE!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  13:41:18
I didn't get a chance to try StripCam with my QT yet, Marchies, did you try it?

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.