LC / Performa
 Micromac Thunder Accelerator
Author Topic  
LeeMac
Trading Post Commander

USA
202 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  20:53:46
What do you know about this accelerator? Other than it is a LC accelerator for the 68020 and 030! What might a used one be worth If anything!

General LeeMac M.A.C ( Mac Action Commando)
Macs Liberated 0002
Trading post Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Edited by - leemac on 02 Apr 2002 20:58:01

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  23:51:45

Vroom!

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  00:22:15
Have you checked LEM? Try eBay also under completed auctions.

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops 68k
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:16

Edited by - TiMacLover on 03 Apr 2002 00:23:04Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  07:58:36
I think that's your most serious post ever, Ti! (Apart from the sig )

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  10:07:41
Here you go...they're kinda rare so I suppose they might sell for $25 or more on eBay.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  10:35:31
Wouldn't that give performance equal to a IIvx/Performa 600?

IIvx/Performa 600 = 32 MHz 68030 on a 16 MHz bus...
LC II + this accelerator = 32 MHz 68030 (a 32bit processor) talking to the computer through the 16 bit PDS slot = faster than a stock LC II, but still slow as hell

anybody else see my logic here?

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 03 Apr 2002 10:36:02Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  11:13:02
quote:

Wouldn't that give performance equal to a IIvx/Performa 600?

IIvx/Performa 600 = 32 MHz 68030 on a 16 MHz bus...
LC II + this accelerator = 32 MHz 68030 (a 32bit processor) talking to the computer through the 16 bit PDS slot = faster than a stock LC II, but still slow as hell

anybody else see my logic here?

absolutely, you can get an accelerator for one intentionally hobbled mac cpu to get it up to AT LEAST the pathetic performance levels of the next generation intentionally hobbled road apple!

this is one of the main reasons the pc bigots are abolutely correct in a FEW of the reasons for their dismissal of macs as toys. if any mac bigots care to cross swords with me on this one, i suggest they bone up on pc and mac i/o bottlenecks and the reasons for them, good and bad on both platforms! it might be better to trust my judgement on this one.

jt

immoderator - periperals forum

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  13:09:51
quote:

absolutely, you can get an accelerator for one intentionally hobbled mac cpu to get it up to AT LEAST the pathetic performance levels of the next generation intentionally hobbled road apple!

... and it's worth it depending on the cost. Thats always my disclaimer when it comes to machines like these. I did the sword-crossing thing with a fellow on IRC not too long ago about the 6300 I have now - the freebie. He'd advised me to boat anchor it - sell it quickly for whatever I can get for it. That makes absolutely no sense to me - out of the 35 macs I own, it's tied for 2nd place in plain old speed when it comes to using the thing. It's faster on the net (via my LAN/OSX net sharing) than -any- of my quadras (mostly in gui and webpage rendering) and despite the technically crippled design of the ethernet/scsi/serial and memory (probably a couple of other things too) when it costs $0.00, those features are just Things To Know in case any potential problems pop up. Kinda like knowing your own limitations... Really you could probably jab a screwdriver in any of my macs' (besides the imac :) modem ports for example, and I wouldn't notice - so problems with modem ports are a non-issue to me. What is worthwhile is having that 6300 as a scanning/cd burning station to use old donated scsi stuff.

If I were buying a brand new PPC at the time they were released however, I'd steer WAY clear - might even have set fire to brand new ones in stores (mostly kidding :), but thats not the context in which I use/own/buy the things. Similarly if someone were after a cheap mac as their only machine I'd never recommend it.

Anyway. There's today's rant :D. It's almost relevant too! If you find one of these dud accelerators for $5... hey, go for it but know its limitations :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  14:27:44
quote:

quote:

... and it's worth it depending on the cost. Thats always my disclaimer when it comes to machines like these....

Anyway. There's today's rant :D. It's almost relevant too! If you find one of these dud accelerators for $5... hey, go for it but know its limitations :D

don't you just love know-it-alls, the idiot probably would say to boat anchor anything short of a dual-gig in a coupla years!

puters all have limitations, i just tend to rant about the ones thad stymie upgrades. sometimes a narrow data bus doesn't hurt a machine as when they used the lower cost 8 bit architecture on the original pc or in the sx era, it doesn't matter if you have the full width available when all software and less than exhorbitantly priced peripherals are half the available width. but when apple did it when the software to use the width was available just to hobble the low end machines it was despicable. there are LOTS of ways to make the high end attractive without marketing road apples on purpose. but even road apples like the 6290CD i swapped for the Q630 in my kids room have their uses, especially when they're free!

jt

immoderator - peripherals

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  18:42:45
The main reason why crippled computers come up in Mac vs. PC arguments:

1) They were cheap, very cheap
2) Cheap computers = education computers
3) The last time lots of people used Macs was in school

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  19:36:45
quote:

The main reason why crippled computers come up in Mac vs. PC arguments:

1) They were cheap, very cheap
2) Cheap computers = education computers
3) The last time lots of people used Macs was in school

but they would not have been appreciably more expensive if they hadn't been hobbled! apple should have worried more about making the high end more attractive than emasculating the low end to keep it from siphoning off sales at the high end!

IMHO, of course.
jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  21:06:49
quote:

don't you just love know-it-alls, the idiot probably would say to boat anchor anything short of a dual-gig in a coupla years!

The curious part is he has quite a few 68k's too, and uses them. Perhaps it's parroting LowEndMac's 'road apple' status - or the general bad reputation the boxies have.

There are people also, who'll dismiss OS 9.2.2 as "over the hill" and a past-it OS which has no use whatsoever. Technologywise, it's definitely way behind OSX for a few crucial features... but it works all the same!. if I had a 5500/6500 laying around it'd certainly be running OS9 of some kind.

quote:

but when apple did it when the software to use the width was available just to hobble the low end machines it was despicable.

Yes. ~Coxy brought up the cheapness thing, with LC's appearing all through schools here for example - it's marketing 100% there, which has created a niche with cheapo machines, while keeping those out of other markets - or more bluntly.... you'll never see a dual-Ghz-iMac until there are at least dual 1.75Ghz G4 towers around :).

I wonder however, if that early flooding-of-schools with the cheapies hasn't given Apple a boost lasting even until now, as people who "learned computers" on them consider macs as options, whereas they may not have otherwise. *that* is one for the marketers to answer... and thats all a black art I won't go into :)

dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  21:44:14
quote:

There are people also, who'll dismiss OS 9.2.2 as "over the hill" and a past-it OS which has no use whatsoever. Technologywise, it's definitely way behind OSX for a few crucial features... but it works all the same.

There's a number of people on the MAF who call it Mac OS Crash. OK, so now it's OS Crash, and before it was real stable, right?

Heck, I'm a big advocate of 7.6 now. My 7200 has it and never crashes... (famous last words, I know)

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  22:41:48
quote:

Heck, I'm a big advocate of 7.6 now. My 7200 has it and never crashes... (famous last words, I know)

7.0.1• ROCKS!
and runs like a bat outta hell!

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 03 Apr 2002 23:27:53Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  23:02:28
quote:

There's a number of people on the MAF who call it Mac OS Crash. OK, so now it's OS Crash, and before it was real stable, right?

8.6 on my 8100 was prolly the most stable pre-X I used...

curiously it was a version hacksed about a bit from a G4 install CD to work on a nonG4... I think in the end I was running pieces of the OS from 8.1 to 8.6 - with the main bits of it from the system folder that booted the CD!

dana

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  08:24:28
quote:

7.0.1• ROCKS!

...except on computers which the earliest compatible OS is 7.1...

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  08:51:21
quote:

[quote]
[b]...except on computers which the earliest compatible OS is 7.1...

no kidding, nitpick!

jt

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 07 Apr 2002 :  22:27:57
quote:

7.0.1• ROCKS!

jt

Nah.

LONG LIVE SYSTEM 6.0.8!!!!!!!!!!!!

really, that thing runs at the speed of light on my LCII. When i finally get my LCIII going with a 160 meg HD (looooong overdue!), i'm gonna stick the old 40 megger into my LCII, load it with System 6.0.8 and dedicate it as CGM, or Classic Gaming Machine.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.