WGS95 Fried SCSI
Author Topic  
hbent
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  14:01:35
Hi all,

I obtained a WGS95 a little while ago and here's the deal. I had seen the machine booting at some point a few weeks ago but by the time it got to me it no longer felt inclined to do so. All attempts to connect the 1GB SCSI drive (w/A/UX 3.1) to any of the 4(!) SCSI connectors just gave a blinking question mark. I was able to boot from a Sys7.5 floppy but HD SC Setup (or is it Drive setup?) was unable to locate the SCSI disk on any of the connectors. I tried it in every configuration possible: WGS PDS card in and out, zapped the PRAM, all to no avail. Some research indicated that I had possibly fried the SCSI controller on the mobo by having termination on the hard drive. This being the most likely answer at this point, I went ahead and bought a new Q950 mobo on eBay.

Here's my question: When the new mobo gets here and I install it, how do I avoid frying it again? As in, how should I have the jumpers on the drive? It's a Seagate ST11200N. I would appreciate any advice, especially from anyone who happens to be successfully running this drive in a WGS95.

I'm not adverse to losing the data on the drive as I have an A/UX boot disk, 3.0.1 CD and 3.1 upgrade CD; however, I'd rather not wipe it if I didn't have to, seeing as that's apparently not the problem.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

http://www.wtsp.org

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  14:13:53
quote:

When the new mobo gets here and I install it, how do I avoid frying it again? As in, how should I have the jumpers on the drive? It's a Seagate ST11200N. I would appreciate any advice, especially from anyone who happens to be successfully running this drive in a WGS95.

i posted a link to a site with great docs on all kinds of drives in the Links Project thread in the Peripherals Forum. they had lots of info on the two drives i picked up recently. i think there were good links on our website also.

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  15:08:40
Take a look at this page, and you're going to want jumpers at the following positions:

SCSI ID = Anything from 0-6, so long as it doesn't conflict with any other device on the internal SCSI chain (or under either SCSI chain under OS 7.0-7.1).

J2 = Make sure there is one and only one jumper here, and that it is set for the "Enable Termination Power from SCSI Bus" position

That should do it. As long as nothing else is jumpered, the drive isn't terminated, it just gets its termination from the bus like it's supposed to.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  23:54:00

ZZZZZAP!

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

hbent
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  07:25:34
Thanks cinemafia - the motherboard came today and I've moved the jumpers so hopefully all will be well! For some reason both "termination power from drive" and "termination power to SCSI bus" were jumpered, so that's almost certainly what caused the failure the first time.

http://www.wtsp.orgGo to Top of Page

hbent
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  07:59:22
Thanks cinemafia - the motherboard came today and I've moved the jumpers so hopefully all will be well! For some reason both "termination power from drive" and "termination power to SCSI bus" were jumpered, so that's almost certainly what caused the failure the first time.

http://www.wtsp.orgGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.