All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 I need help...
Author Topic  
MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  07:35:55
(Notice the strategic use of ellipseseses^)

I just picked up a Color Stylewriter Pro for cheap. I think I have figured out why. IT WON'T STAY ON! I know that it works, because I can print the test page by holding down the power button at start. Of the five Macs I tried it on, I could only get it to print on my StarMax. I tried everything...turned off background printing, upped the memory for it, and then I look over and the power light is out. Anybody got an idea as to why it might be shutting off randomly?

------------------
MacMoose
Medical Spec., 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 9 and counting
------------------

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  07:39:52
Short inside the unit?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  07:48:35
quote:

Short inside the unit?

tried different serial cable?
tried different power cable?
reseat ink cartridge?
reseat print head?
tried it on both serial ports on 2 machines?
check for place where dust bunnies go to die from heat prostration?

i feel an attack of in . . .zzzzzzzz

jt

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  08:06:01
Apart from the different power cable tryout, most of those shouldn't* make the unit turn off - which is why I think it may be a short... damn super-conductive dust bunnies!

*no warranty expressed or implied

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  08:10:35
quote:

Apart from the different power cable tryout, most of those shouldn't* make the unit turn off - which is why I think it may be a short... damn super-conductive dust bunnies!

hrm, no hardware handshaking to check for activity via the extra lines?

dratted little B@$7@?S clog up the airflow and insulate to boot!

the head and cartridge circuits interact with the error lights and random funkiness might cause a shutdown i would think.

jt

Edited by - trash80toG-4 on 02 Apr 2002 08:12:30Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  08:57:20
Well, I don't think it's the power cable. I've got ten on the workbench and I know I plugged it into at least three of them. Don't think it's the serial cable, cause I was using it for networking prior to this and it worked fine. I may just have to tear it apart and pull out the multi-meter.

Edit: I get no error lights at all, not even when the units on and the Mac can't see it.
------------------
MacMoose
Medical Spec., 68k MLA
------------------

Edited by - macmoose on 02 Apr 2002 08:58:52Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  07:51:12
General wierdation, that's what it is...

zsarillian
Starting Member

23 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2002 :  22:13:33
Howdy folks! I'm a bit of a new recruit, but thought I'd pitch in. A couple years ago I had one heck of a time with a CSW Pro, and if I remember correctly, the symptoms were quite similar to those you mention. (It printed test pages fine, but couldn't print off the computer. I went through the whole slew of cable changes, etc...) While I never got to a satisfactory conclusion (I just shipped the thing back to the company I bought it from and picked up a CSW 2500), the fix that they and Apple (at the time) recommended was to change out the Print Head, as the circuit board on the printhead itself was supposedly faulty. I don't really understand how it could print test pages if this is the case, but who knows??? I can't guarantee it'd work, as I never got to try it, but if you can find an extra one kicking around somewhere, it might be worth looking into. Good luck!

- Jeff

68k's Liberated: 3
P475, Q700, Q605
Looking to add a Q840A/V to the list =)Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  05:29:42
Well, as I have yet to find the time to test the printer, I may try this before tearing it apart. Thanks for the info!

------------------
MacMoose
Benevolent Genius, 68k MLA
------------------
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  05:42:53
quote:

Well, as I have yet to find the time to test the printer, I may try this before tearing it apart. Thanks for the info!

i remember mine having its print head swapped under warranty. (just!) if it's the head, it might be time to get a new printer. i saved some of the guts when mine finally croaked, i'll see if the head is in the bag of robotics junk, but i doubt it. somebody might find a donor CSWP or BJC-600 in a dumpster so you should hold onto it even if it is the head that's shot if the mechanical parts are still good!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.