Make your own DuoDocks
Author Topic  
Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 16 Nov 2001 :  12:12:43
Ok... here's my idea...

it's not hard to find the pinouts of the Duo's docking port online.

I've found that busted DuoDocks of various kinds can be found cheaply, but what if you took the Docking connectors out of it and began wireing in your own stuff?

Take a SCSI for instance... SCSI Chips can be bought for but a few dollars or can be taken out of bad/dead 68k Macs with socketed or push thru chips, and you can make your own board for it from parts @ Radio Shack.

Anyone handy with a soldering iron?

~marchie

~~"We are all Mad here."~~

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 16 Nov 2001 :  12:56:17
I am picturing the DuoDock III in my head right now. Someone needs to figure out if it can be designed into a Power mac 7xxx or Quadra 650 style casing.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 16 Nov 2001 :  20:54:44
I like it!

Do you know if there's any way that we could put in a bunch of '040 or PPC processors in a sort of Radius Rocket-esque setup? What was a small, quiet, unassuming machine on the road becomes a fierce monster on the desk!

(Of course, we could always just build in some insane number of NuBus slots and fill them with Rockets...)

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 4
(as of November 8, 2001)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  22:31:10
quote:

(Of course, we could always just build in some insane number of NuBus slots and fill them with Rockets...)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."

Once again you're right Gordoom, I was googling for rocket info and this old thread came up on a hit, so I resurrected it with yet another link. Just had to share this with the troops.

It's been done:
http://lowendmac.com/myturn/2k1030.html

quote:

SkyLab

"As far as Mac Prototypes go, one of the most glorious I ever saw was the Radius 'SkyLab.' That was the development name for the project we were working on. Radius at that time was an early Mac peripheral manufacturer. We had made a Mac II accelerator called the Radius Rocket.

"The SkyLab was a server with 14 NuBus slots and a power supply so huge you could do arc welding on the side with it. It also had fifteen 3-1/2" drive bays, and four 5-1/4" drive bays (for CD ROMs or optical drives).

"The idea was for it to be a dedicated Image RIPer for graphic houses. It never happened.

Forgot the best part! They ran it as a headless server, just swap in the Duo and there's your monsterdock with server, furnace and welding options too.
Guess they weren't QUITE crazy enough.
jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 23 Jan 2002 07:03:06Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2002 :  00:46:43
Has anyone been working on one? You think there could be one for 145b's?

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.