All Forums
 The Website Forum
 Hotline Huey and the big Kablooie...
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  16:27:02
Ok ladies and gents, you probably all know, ormost of you that use hotline, that the server has been down the past couple of days. Sorry for the problems, phone line was being swapped out. However this is not my 'complaint'.
apparently, SOMEHOW, SOMEONE had come into the server about 2 hours ago and deleted a good portion of files. Thank god i give the final 'empty trash' command...
Anyhue, This person and their IP have been banned. The name they went by was both 'new admin' and 'gshag33'.
Here comes the 'shocker'....
This person was logged in using tiMacLover's admin account. How this happend i do not know, but this person also UL'd a few files as well, i am unstuffing them now to see what they are. I would like to be able to speak to the Mods about this, and im sorry if i am making any enimies in this post. Anyhue, a lil 'private chat' about tis would be nice. If anyone wants to get secure, mail me at: magicpenguin@mac.com

~The Penguin

P.S.- All files were restored and acounts fixed. Everything is fine now. Ti's account has also been suspended.

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline Server

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  16:57:17
quote:

Ok ladies and gents, you probably all know, ormost of you that use hotline, that the server has been down the past couple of days. Sorry for the problems, phone line was being swapped out. However this is not my 'complaint'.

Anyhue, This person and their IP have been banned. The name they went by was both 'new admin' and 'gshag33'.
Here comes the 'shocker'....
This person was logged in using tiMacLover's admin account.

P.S.- All files were restored and acounts fixed. Everything is fine now. Ti's account has also been suspended.

<ALARMIST MODE>
this is one of the reasons i don't do hotline and never liked the idea from the start. methinks everybody should turn off filesharing and reexamine passwords and basic net security of anything related or connected to machines that have been connected to that server until this settles out.
<ALARMIST MODE>
hopefully this is unnecessary, but security issues have been a fascination with me for quite a while, does it sound to anybody else like Ti's machine was hacked from outside?

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  18:16:31
quote:

this person also UL'd a few files as well, i am unstuffing them now to see what they are.

I'd be carefull with that...

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  06:39:11
Nice title for this thread...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2002 :  16:01:25
Hotline isn't a very secure system, that is true.

What other options are there? Secure FTP? If we want a GUI, we can either use an FTP system, or AppleShare over IP. At least with AppleShare, passwords are encrypted, and Da Penguin would have tighter control over the systyem. The Downside being it;s a bit slower.

I'm all for the AppleShare, but I'm not sure exactly which system is running the server, so I dunno if we could do it.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.