All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 Problem with my Paperport
Author Topic  
Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 31 Mar 2002 :  11:17:36
My Visoneer Paperport scanner is very flaky. It doesn't always respond when paper is inserted, and sometimes it scans when nothing is inside several minutes after I unsuccessfully try to insert a piece of paper. Also, I keep getting error messages that it is not communicating properly with my Quadra. Could this be because of the scanner itself or is it just a problem with my A/V Mac's serial port?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The Sane

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 Mar 2002 :  15:56:42
quote:

My Visoneer Paperport scanner is very flaky. It doesn't always respond when paper is inserted, and sometimes it scans when nothing is inside several minutes after I unsuccessfully try to insert a piece of paper. Also, I keep getting error messages that it is not communicating properly with my Quadra. Could this be because of the scanner itself or is it just a problem with my A/V Mac's serial port?

we need a basic bug reporting sop!

which av mac, os et?.

which port?

have you tried the other port?

have you tried it on another mac?

is it a hardwired cable.

have you tried it with a custom extension set where that is the only driver.

expect 50% of all mac peripherals to have problems with the printer port. (double failure expectations on AV machines)

i'd take the thing apart and clean it up inside once i checked everything else out. sounds like some kind of sensor glitch if it's not the serial communications.

my brain is fried, but that'd be a good start.

oh, yeah, did it work reliably before this cropped up?
think methodically, report back with details!

good luck!

jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 31 Mar 2002 :  19:22:56
Sorry for being vague.
I was able to use it reliably before today.
I'm using it under 7.5.3 on a 660A/V.
I have tried both ports, neither seem to work.
I have not had the chance to try it on another mac.

My suspicion is that it is the scanner itself; I was just told that someone, who was lurking in my room without permissoin while I was gone, knocked it off my desk.....ARG.
I think I'll take it apart and see what I can do.
(PS: I think that I will take you up on your offer and buy one of your Mac IIfx's. I'll email you an offer.)

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.