68k Software
 Basilisk II
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  14:58:15
I was talking about installing this on the Win98 box have here at work in another thread, and decided to start a fresh one. In case you don't know, Basilisk II is currently the best Mac emulation for the 'doze OS to date, yet only emulates 68k machines. It can emulate up to a Quadra 950 and OS 8.1, and is optimized for Win NT and 2000. It runs in 95 and 98, but some features are disabled (although I can't remember which at the moment).

I've already got it installed, but need to get a suitable ROM image to use it. Since the Mac OS can only run when an Apple ROM is present, you have to get a ROM file image from an actual Apple machine. The Basilisk II comes with a app that does this easily, you just start up your 68k mac with extentions off and launch it, and it creates a file called "ROM" (what else?). You then copy that file to the Win box and put it in the Baslisk II directory so the program can run.

Because the program only works with ROM files that are either 512k or 1024k, it's not compatible with the Quadra 840av (or any PPC Mac). My 840av has a 2MB ROM file, which I'm assuming is because of the A/V components. So, since I've only made a ROM image of my 840av, I haven't actually used the program, yet. I'm going to try making ROM images of my IIci, LC 475 and ColorClassic, and see how well the program works with them (and, of course, post my reports and screenshots here).

Stay tuned!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  15:03:49
quote:

I was talking about installing this on the Win98 box have here at work in another thread, and decided to start a fresh one. In case you don't know, Basilisk II is currently the best Mac emulation for the 'doze OS to date, yet only emulates 68k machines.

find out from marchie/dana and Captain Z if this belongs in their alternate OS thread or here.

68k on Wintel . . . . . blech!

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  15:32:03
Well, I figured since it's not *nix, and technically is an actual MacOS that runs actual 68k Mac software, it should go here. [???]

quote:

Yeah, I know...but when you don't have a choice, at least it keeps you sane! And that's hard to around here!!

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 29 Mar 2002 15:33:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  16:50:08
quote:

Well, I figured since it's not *nix, and technically is an actual MacOS that runs actual 68k Mac software, it should go here. [???]

quote:

Yeah, I know...but when you don't have a choice, at least it keeps you sane! And that's hard to around here!!

you're . . . . . . SANE!?! *faints dead away*

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  17:00:47
quote:
you're . . . . . . SANE!?!

Well, only on alternating Fridays (those being coincidentally the same as paydays)!

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  20:27:13
See, I am god of 68k Emulation on PeeCee's. I made about 5 Cds that autoboot Mac os 8 when you pop them into your cd drive and they where loaded with Apple works, Photoshop, IE, Bolo, Escape velocity, Marathon, and all kinds of other apps and games. It was soo kool like a instant Mac OS. Wlel yea I should do it again when I get the $16 I need for get that dead CDRW from Cine. I want your lot soo bad but soo poor, but soon I promise I really want all that, well later

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops 68k
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  21:45:58
Because this topic does have to do with 68K operating systems and software, even though emulated on top of Win98, I this this is an appropriate place for it.

And also, the 68K limitation has been broken. Someone over on the Ambrosia Webboards (EV Nova Forum) hacked an iMac ROM to run under it, and successfully got EV Nova to run on his PC. Eww.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  22:17:16
quote:

Because this topic does have to do with 68K operating systems and software, even though emulated on top of Win98, I this this is an appropriate place for it.

great, i just figured it should be up to you and the nixie mods to decide.

jt

Edited by - trash80toG-4 on 29 Mar 2002 22:19:31Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 30 Mar 2002 :  06:54:33
quote:

And also, the 68K limitation has been broken. Someone over on the Ambrosia Webboards (EV Nova Forum) hacked an iMac ROM to run under it, and successfully got EV Nova to run on his PC. Eww

Is it just me or are the only inroads to Mac emulation made when someone wants to run Escape Velocity on a PC.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 30 Mar 2002 :  20:43:12
That's true! Someone should write a thesis on it!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  10:55:46
SOLDIERS - I NEED YOUR HELP!

Here I am at work having forgotten once again to upload the ROM images I created over the weekend at home. What I need some or any of you to do is download THIS, reboot with extentions off, then run the app and upload and post a link to the subsequent file named "ROM" that it creates*. I'd especially like one from a Quadra 950, seeing as I don't have one.

TIA!!!!!!!

~ El Cine

*or send it to cinemafia@mailcity.com

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 01 Apr 2002 10:57:00Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  11:31:30
Thanks Dana! Now it's time to try it out...

MUA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  11:56:28
Alright, it's working, now I just need to burn OS 8.1 and a bunch of 68k apps to a CD, bring it to work, and I'll be able to boot. Right now it just gets the grey question mark screen.

I'm getting closer now! Whee!

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 01 Apr 2002 12:03:28Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  13:02:19
quote:

Right now it just gets the grey question mark screen.

prettiest screen you've ever seen on that POS, huh?

jt

Go to Top of Page

Graphite Goodness

USA
88 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  14:46:44
I think theres a System 7.6 image on the server ready to boot. It has a lot of Timac's old crap on it though.

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  15:21:58
The HL server? Filesharing port is blocked here at work, so I can't access it. Unless you know of a FTP or Web server where I can download a 7.1.-8.1 OS image (yeah right)?

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 01 Apr 2002 :  19:40:26
quote:
The HL server? Filesharing port is blocked here at work, so I can't access it. Unless you know of a FTP or Web server where I can download a 7.1.-8.1 OS image (yeah right)?

There is a Basilisk hardfile with 8.1 on it on the retromac68k.dyndns.org
Hotline server. It an 8.6mb download and it works great.

If you are stuck for accessing Hotline, I could download and email it to you or something if you wanted...

Cheers

Jobf

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  06:55:20
So, how's the attempt at improving Windoze going?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  10:02:58
quote:
If you are stuck for accessing Hotline, I could download and email it to you or something if you wanted...

I would be increadibly grateful!!

I burned a tweaked copy of OS 8.1 and some apps to a CD-R from my Quadra 840av, brought it in to work today, and the stupid Windoze box won't read the disk!! It sees it there, but says it's empty....

0ldsch00lpunk
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts
Posted - 02 Apr 2002 :  11:38:21
JobF...if you could see your way to posting said 8.1 Basilisk image to an FTP server or other appropriate download area I'd be eternally grateful.

I'm just starting on the MAC side of the industry (25 years of mains, minis, and PC's, I even do AS/400). I don't have access to HotFile servers here at work and 8MB is too much on a dial up at home.

In any case TIA for any help.

0ldsch00lpunkGo to Top of Page

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  03:48:59
0ldsch00lpunk/cinemafia

re: 8.1 for Basilisk

email me on: bigman7ft2 at hotmail dot com

and I'll let you know where I've uploaded it.

Cheers

Jobf

Go to Top of Page

0ldsch00lpunk
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2002 :  08:28:16
JobF...e-mailed you from my work account...thanks again for your help...

0ldsch00lpunk

0ldsch00lpunk
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  07:27:24
The image works wonders...already used it to create a 2GB boot volumne all running on 2000...next is to get networking/internet working...anybody got a Quad650 or 950 for sale????

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  10:34:16
Thanks for the 8.1 image, Jobf, but it no worky for me.

It crashes as soon as the extentions begin to load, and won't go any further. I tried closing out all other apps (including background ones) on my Win98 box, and cleared the system cache. I also tried booting with extentions off, and went over the Basilisk II GUI options a hundred times.

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 04 Apr 2002 10:35:51Go to Top of Page

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  11:10:17
quote:
Thanks for the 8.1 image, Jobf, but it no worky for me.

Mmm bad luck. I can't think what the problem is. I've had it working successfully with Win XP and Win 95.

Have you tried using a different Mac ROM??? Basilisk seems to like some much more than others. I can't remember off hand which one I'm using as I'm not at home and I've got 4 or 5 to choose from. If you want to know I can check..

Jobf

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  11:32:37
Alright, I fixed it!! The problem was that I was using the NT version of the program, dur...so I reinstalled Basilisk II and used "Basilisk II Old" and it works fine! Hee haw!!!! This rocks!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  11:45:02
quote:

Alright, I fixed it!! The problem was that I was using the NT version of the program, dur...so I reinstalled Basilisk II and used "Basilisk II Old" and it works fine! Hee haw!!!! This rocks!

cool! what are the min sys req's?
i've been wanting to update my gaming PC!

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  12:01:14
quote:
what are the min sys req's?

It should ron on anything from a Pentium II 200MHz and up, with at least 32MB of RAM. I'm running it on a PIII 500MHz with 128MB of RAM, and have devoted 32MB to OS 8.1. Copying files from the Win 98 disk to HFO is easy, but as it's only 30MB, I can't put much on there.

Anybody know how I can increase the size of/create a new HFO image that has more space? This is a work PC so I can't partition the drive.

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 04 Apr 2002 12:02:46Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  14:01:47
Waaaaahoooo!!!!

This is just too much fun! I'm posting this right now using iCab on Basilisk and the company T1...it's pretty slow, though comparable to my Quadra 840av at home over 1.5Mbps cable.

Here's a screen shot of the MacOS desktop with iCab showing the 68kMLA forums page. I've already used a few apps successfully, I have to download some games to try. I'm also going to see if file sharing apps or AIM works, though I assume that the firewall will stop them either way.

Also, I have one problem. I can't seem to set a picture as the desktop, only patterns. If I select the PICT file and hit set desktop, it appears on the desktop for a split second, then defaults back to the pattern. What's up with that?

0ldsch00lpunk
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  15:12:20
OK here's the deal...use HFVExplorer or BasiliskGUI to create a new HSF or DSK container (the max size it will do is 2GB). Then using the GUI Disk tab put the new container in the list to be mounted at boot up. The OS will then format the new drive (make sure you tell it to format it as a normal MAC hard drive because 8.1 won't boot from an extended MAC format). Now drag all the files from your original boot drive into the new container. Shut down. Re-open the GUI and remove the original boot drive from the list. This will leave the new drive (container) as the boot drive. Re-start 8.1 and away you go with a 2GB main drive.

Use Nero 5.5.x.x to burn MAC cd's on your PC. Instructions at:

http://mes.emuunlim.com/tips/creating_a_mac_cdr_using_a_hdf.htm

I'll post more goodies as I come across them (oh...the joys of learning a new OS...)

0ldsch00lpunk

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  15:37:51
Alright, thanks OldSkool! I now have a 2GB boot disk for Basilisk...kick arse! Now if I could figure out how to get the desktop pic to stay...

RAWK!!!!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  15:58:35
quote:

Alright, thanks OldSkool! I now have a 2GB boot disk for Basilisk...kick arse! Now if I could figure out how to get the desktop pic to stay...

RAWK!!!!

if it keeps going away, use one of the managers that will change it at short intervals and the variety will help to pass the time at work!

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2002 :  16:48:44
I just installed Kaleidoscope, and it actually runs much better than on my Quadra 840av! I'm currently using the OpenStep 4 scheme, which has an at least pleasant indigo desktop pattern.

Now time for games, games, GAMES!

alpaca2500

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  04:10:42
quote:

quote:

And also, the 68K limitation has been broken. Someone over on the Ambrosia Webboards (EV Nova Forum) hacked an iMac ROM to run under it, and successfully got EV Nova to run on his PC. Eww

Is it just me or are the only inroads to Mac emulation made when someone wants to run Escape Velocity on a PC.

this is the exact reason my roommate is doing it. he played EV back in the day, and when he saw me playing nova, he wanted to too...

Performa 630
Quadra 610
LCIII
SEGo to Top of Page

0ldsch00lpunk
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  07:08:10
cinemafia...glad to help...I'm having the same problem with desktop pictures myself...I'll give Kaliedascope a try but it crashed my 7.5.5 emulation badly...

new subject...has anyone had any luck with SoftMAC and has anyone tried SoftMAC XP?

Also any word on a PPC emulator at this point?

0ldsch00lpunk

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  11:03:02
I got desktop pics to work! I popped in the OS 8.1 cd-rom I burned at home and it mounted on the Basilisk desktop, then I copied over a bunch of fonts, extentions and various control panels I wanted. While I was at it, I went ahead and replaced the Desktop Pictures control panel, thinking the one included in Jobf's image was corrupt. Sure enough, after doing this and rebooting, I was able to set desktop pics!

Also, I've copied a ton of apps over from the CD, and most seem to be working. Photoshop 4.0 is working well, and renders darn quick!

Here's some new screenshotsm (you may have to reload the first):

Startup Splash Screen

Desktop w/ main drive open and mounted CD-ROM

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  14:06:47
Okay this is odd: I tried Hotline under Basilisk, and it still doesn't work, confirming that the firewall here at work blocks the 5500 port. However, I then tried using AIM. Even though AIM on the Win98 doesn't login, it works just fine under Basilisk using AIM 1.5!!!

Now if I could just remember all the people from my buddy list...

0ldsch00lpunk
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  15:15:38
Headed out for the weekend but I'm compressing my container (boot drive) so I can take it home to work on...I'll give the 8.1 fix a try and let you know...I may have a usable (killer) Basilisk OS 8.1 image to share by monday...

One request...could one of you give me a run down on how to set up networking/internet using OS 8.1 and Basilisk? I'm having know luck. I know Windows networking but not MAC.

Have a good weekend.....

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2002 :  15:40:18
quote:
could one of you give me a run down on how to set up networking/internet using OS 8.1 and Basilisk? I'm having know luck. I know Windows networking but not MAC.

first install the Basilisk ethernet driver, the instructions on doing this are included with the Basilisk download pack. Then, assuming you're using Cable/DSL/LAN, go into the Basilisk GUI and enable the ethernet drive and set it to EL90x driver. Then, launch Basilisk, go under control panels and to TCP/IP, and set it to Ethernet/Use DHCP. You shouldn't have to reboot. Sometimes it doesn't work, but generally if you reboot again it will take.

0ldsch00lpunk
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  06:16:11
cool I'll give it a try...I want to try out a couple of Mac only search engines...

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2002 :  07:21:32

BasiliskII JIT is a lot faster than the usual BasiliskII but seems to have a few more bugs.

On my PC sometimes fpu apps work and somtimes they don't but I still use the JIT version because I can get emulation speed in the lowend PPC range on my 350Mhz K6-2 AMD PC.

It would really fly on a Athlon.

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.