UNIX on 68k
 New Stuff...
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  14:07:09
(continued natter with bigsadhu from 68k conquests )
quote:

So Dana (and other Unix heads),

I spent quite a few hours twatting around trying to install netBSD on one of the Quadras...unsucessfully. Somehow some step or other always seemed to work just a little differently from the way suggested in the instructional website above.

After giving up on this, I re-installed A/UX (another whole series of dramas which I won't go into here!) in the hopes that it would recognise the Linux partition of the new drive... but unfortunately it only seems to mount the HFS partition .

Any other ideas?

Apart from trying to use the netBSD's installer to access an existing drive - getting into a linux passwd any other way is beyond this lil hacklette's experience sorry!. I'm guessing due to the age of A/UX that it just plain doesn't recognise the linux filesystem. Or if it does, then it's possible the one on your box is something entirely different. I gather there's no chance of finding whoever owned the linuxbox before, for the password?

danananananananananamania

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  14:50:59
Good thinking!, but not practical, as I've got no idea how to find them.

The linux variant is MkLinux, which I thought was kinda old too... and don't most Linuxes use A/UX file system ...??? (talking from a position of ignorance here)

Anyhoo, the bottom line is that there's nothing crucial I need to recover from the drive, this little project was basically to satisfy my curiosity, so it'll be no great loss to format it and start from scratch.

Thanks for your help.

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800 (recently resurrected!)
2 Powermac 6100s
1 Wallstreet

Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  14:59:55
quote:
and don't most Linuxes use A/UX file system ...???

While I may be a little off base here, I think that most of the linux distributions use the ext2 file system, with support for the ReiserFS journaling file system being added after the 2.4 kernal release. I think that the A/UX file system is similar enough to ext2 that you are able to use it under Disk Tools.

Does that make any sense?

------------------
MacMoose
Medical Spec., 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 9 and counting
------------------
Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  16:13:53
What exactly is the problem with the MkLinux drive? , forget the password?

Hmm.. then if I guess what you;re trying to do is mount the filesystem somewhere else, and then edit the /etc/passwd file yes?

hmmm....

I'll post a possible solution later... I'm off to Passover Dinner right now.
~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  18:26:05
quote:

The linux variant is MkLinux, which I thought was kinda old too... and don't most Linuxes use A/UX file system ...??? (talking from a position of ignorance here)

From what I've read - especially when it comes to OSX and it's UFS (unix file system) they are all pretty close - but not the same. Perhaps if you installed plain old debian on one of the macs, it may be perfectly happy to mount the mklinux partition - even if it's an older version. Along with that comes the fun of playing with debian on a 68k too :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  20:56:36
MkLinux runs an ext2 fs. When you partition the drive, you create the A/UX partitions, as this assigns drive space to each Unix partition (/, /usr, swap, and others). However, when the MkLinux installer (modified RedHat installer) is run, it reformats these partitions for use with Linux. If you want to access the Linux partition, there is some MacOS program to use (I forget the name). You could modify the /etc/inittab to single-user boot and fix the password problem from there.

Might as well just use Yellow Dog Champion Server (the old version) with the patched kernel for PPC/Nubus.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  21:14:33
quote:

Might as well just use Yellow Dog Champion Server (the old version) with the patched kernel for PPC/Nubus.

welcome aboard! i've been watching developments and hoping for a good linux setup for my Duos, (230 and 2300c) do you, or does anybody else, know if it's worth trying yet? there were still some pretty bad incompatabilities last time i looked into it, what are the odds of comprehensive support ever materializing?

jt

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  21:22:53
There's lots of interesting ideas bouncing around here... unfortunately I'm a complete thicko when it comes to anything less user friendly than good old MacOS... I am trying though!

quote:
If you want to access the Linux partition, there is some MacOS program to use (I forget the name).

This sounds like a fine solution!... Any idea what the program would be? Not machTen or Minix?

quote:
Perhaps if you installed plain old debian on one of the macs, it may be perfectly happy to mount the mklinux partition

I do have a Debian Installer floating around somewhere... is it a straightforward install Dana, or will I need a walkthrough?

Or maybe should I start with a fresh install of MkLinux on another disk? Where can I get a MkLinux ISO?

I'm actually getting kind of determined to crack this one... and who knows...maybe I'll learn something in the process..??

Thanks for the help folks. I'll keep you informed!

CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 700
2 Powermac 6100s
1 Wallstreet

Edited by - bigsadhu on 29 Mar 2002 21:25:04Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  22:31:07
quote:

quote:

Perhaps if you installed plain old debian on one of the macs, it may be perfectly happy to mount the mklinux partition

I do have a Debian Installer floating around somewhere... is it a straightforward install Dana, or will I need a walkthrough?

If you have the complete CD it's apparently not too bad, I've never installed from CD however, it's all been over the net - which is a bit of a mess if you've never done it before - there are several parts to the install. The parts you need are:

Penguin Booter (this runs in MacOS and loads up a kernel image, runs it - and you're in linux)

A Linux Kernel Image (to be loaded by the booter above :)

Debian's RAMdisk image (A Ramdisk for linux to boot into once the kernel is running - it contains a basic system which steps through preparing your hard disk & decompressing the base system below)

The base install (15mb) (The basic parts of a linux install for a usable system)

and once that's done, networking should be configured happily, and you can select extra packages to install, and they're downloaded from one of debian's ftp site. If you don't have a way to hook the linuxbox to the net, it's probably best to go for a CD install - and thats where my experience ends unfortunately!

quote:

Or maybe should I start with a fresh install of MkLinux on another disk? Where can I get a MkLinux ISO?

www.mklinux.org has a download link :D. Go there, click on "getting started" at the top right which takes you to another page - where you can click on "Getting a MkLinux CD" on the left. ta-dah!

I've never so much as peeped at mklinux's site before, so no ideas there if it's a easy install or not!

dana

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 29 Mar 2002 :  23:02:28
quote:
ta-dah!

dana

Dana, you are a complete star!!

Thanks for all the tips. If I can't get Linux installed after all this then I'm afraid there really is no hope for me.

By the way,

quote:
If you want to access the Linux partition, there is some MacOS program to use (I forget the name).

I think the program might be MountX or LinuxDisk, both of which also appear to have been expunged...

Cheers!
CC

Current score:

1 Apple //e
1 PB 520c
1 Quadra 700
2 Powermac 6100s
1 Wallstreet

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 30 Mar 2002 :  07:15:28
It's LinuxDisk, I think. I might have it on my old LPPC2K/Q4 CD; if I do, I'll put it on Hotline. If you're going to install Linux on the 6100, get a newer version than MkLinux and use the hacked kernels from http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/. You need 72+ MB of RAM for LPPC/Nubus, though, or the installer hangs.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.