• Hello, Guest! Welcome back, and be sure to check out this post for more info about the recent service interruption and migration.

Restoring a Quadra 700 (warning: photo heavy)

joshc

Well-known member
I recently scored a Quadra 700, a few weeks ago I had some time to give it some love. Here's what I did...

This Q700 really wasn't in bad condition to start with, and already worked, so my main focus was to clean everything up and improve anything I could as I went along.

To start with, I fully disassembled it - the case and logic board had some dust bunnies, nothing awful but it needed a clean.

C900B08D-FA87-4631-BD3A-AE716852435D_1_105_c.jpeg

1BAFAF1B-E113-452C-A232-6A3371F98924_1_105_c.jpeg

The internal case came out well after a quick brush to remove the dust:

3311631A-DE0F-45AC-AAA3-348F19D2685A_1_105_c.jpeg

The front switches and clear plastic LED piece for the front power LED were removed and dumped in hot soapy water:

952ECF2F-E64F-4492-9909-68ABFE6FD604_1_105_c.jpeg

The black side strips that run along the length of the machine were cleaned, they were rather dirty!

C58FDA33-EFFC-4B7B-BF70-91A8A3729B5F_1_105_c.jpeg

The rear I/O panels and NuBus slot openings were cleaned out

2030EC65-25C9-4E99-B0D1-21BCDEB291F6_1_105_c.jpeg

D761C381-6163-4446-94CA-5F4890FBB971_1_105_c.jpeg

Some photos of the case before cleaning:

B19C18E8-F72C-4011-A9B0-4F2B6ADE4057_1_105_c.jpeg

58C6B20B-331D-421A-A3B2-C22069800A64_1_105_c.jpeg



The top lid before cleaning:

3CFD9241-E484-4C81-9740-DE3393A3691C_1_105_c.jpeg

Washing up liquid and a scrub is all I'm going to do on this.

6F0B4909-1C0A-4FFE-ADBE-F2CB5A9088E3_1_105_c.jpeg

Came out really well...

EA0FAC27-FB60-40D6-86DD-389E13D18028_1_105_c.jpeg

Same treatment for the front

F8459151-FE00-4FE2-8433-A6F832D489ED_1_105_c.jpeg

Front vents were cleaned/rinsed out:

F7133405-7CFA-467B-BDDD-64A05C9187D2_1_105_c.jpeg

All the other little bits were cleaned and dryed

DE22A254-3C99-4353-8747-FCF2D5D7F8E4_1_105_c.jpeg

The logicboard was brushed down and lightly swabbed with IPA:

F6620EFE-56F6-45F5-A10B-39C51E229702_1_105_c.jpeg

5370C6E9-7B7E-45B9-8297-7AE0D69361D8_1_105_c.jpeg

Starting to put things back together, looking quite sparkly and new really:

949529F7-E44F-402D-9F84-151F0B547FD2_1_105_c.jpeg

The floppy drive was definitely the dirtiest part of the whole machine...

99EE586E-6C88-4C2E-AAF6-06F2091844C9_1_105_c.jpeg

I already knew it read disks OK, so I thought it worthwhile giving it a full clean - but I also knew it wouldn't eject disks, so there's something going on there.

The drive carrier was a bit dusty, not too bad.

A666B498-C0B3-424D-8D14-CF31BAC67D7D_1_105_c.jpeg

That was rinsed and dried off, looks great now

35DD0CFA-C650-4101-AAC4-DE46F9E25716_1_105_c.jpeg


So.... onto the floppy drive.

Before:

F59B7164-D82F-4950-AF4F-B078036D0579_1_105_c.jpeg

After some initial brushing to remove the worst dust:


375D18D5-4545-4FA1-A891-DF0986314E81_1_105_c.jpeg

Removing more bits revealed more dust...

F496A6F4-5393-4634-914E-25089647AF1F_1_105_c.jpeg

Going further, lets clean it up...

88C2D9BE-156E-4193-B1DB-34872D0CDE50_1_105_c.jpeg

Yep, broken eject gear. Same old same old. I don't have a spare replacement right now - so will have to return to this another time.

B708DF03-BA56-4CBD-9747-30C00D535A59_1_105_c.jpeg


New grease applied - I was probably a bit liberal with it but I can always remove access afterwards

21455E9F-BF10-4E52-9B38-7E2A4318063C_1_105_c.jpeg

Everything back together. Can't fully test just yet because of that missing eject gear but what an improvement!


74D96874-4908-45E2-BA81-480F98018A05_1_105_c.jpeg


Back to finish off the rest of it...



SCSI2SD installed, and the original activity LED hooked up to it:


7C84EC6A-E294-4ACC-A81A-3070545B4859_1_105_c.jpeg


Looking rather smart, albeit more yellow than my 6200, but still nice and clean now and ready for BUSINESS:


214B6BC6-12E5-4772-9F7B-679C80CA9C39_1_105_c.jpeg

And most importantly, the original HD activity LED works great...

BD8EE7BE-5C50-4711-AC67-DFF672DC5290_1_105_c.jpeg

A few days ago, I did a few more things:

Replaced the dirty and noisy original PSU fan with a new one.

Stock fan:

62C3C832-EA37-4945-9957-CD4FDCF88C23_1_105_c.jpeg

Replaced with a Noctua NF-A8 PWM:

2794BAF8-F5ED-4293-B2BD-5968A09A4E7F_1_105_c.jpeg

I also ordered some new RAM, to bring the total from 20MB to 68MB (including 4MB onboard):

375440B6-3E7F-4BA7-911D-F5C1AE4A5DE4_1_105_c.jpeg

Things remaining to do:

- Clean out power supply and recap it

- Remove the original oscillator and replace with a DIP socket/new 66Mhz oscillator to crank clock speed from 25Mhz to 33Mhz

- Get a new eject gear for the floppy drive
 

jessenator

Well-known member
Hey look at that! Your FDD wasn't completely eviscerated by a maxell bomb 😆 Good job on the cleanup. Looks nice.

Nice PSU fan replacement. I might do that one day...
 

joshc

Well-known member
Thanks both for the kind words.

I've just done the oscillator swap, replaced 50Mhz oscillator with a socket and 66.66 Mhz oscillator:

409803D4-100A-44AE-BA8E-2F44EFF97BE2_1_105_c.jpeg

1F9482F6-177D-40AB-958B-789C84122832_1_105_c.jpeg

63087E5E-2035-41C8-B578-19398E87D792_1_105_c.jpeg
 
Top