Quadra 700 purchase led to more projects

I recently negotiated the purchase of a Quadra 700 from a seller in a vintage PC group on FB, when I asked about if they'd ship to my hometown, I got a message and request from someone in my city asking if I'd be interested in picking up some non working Macs to try and breathe life into them again.

So right now as I await delivery of the 700, I've got a newly picked up IIsi with 80MB HDD, SE with dual 800k drives, and an SE/30 with FDHD and no HDD. It'd been a goal of mine to learn and get comfortable with recaps, and now I've got 3 currently dead but hopefully salvageable machines to work on and learn. I'm intimidated by the SE/30 as it's the one I'm most eager to get back to life so I'm saving it until I get the other 2 working.

The IIsi board itself looks relatively clean, but the PSU was completely dead, it's the first one I'm going to try and tackle. The SE had some leaking at C11, C16, C17, C18, and C19, but after giving it a bit of cleaning it doesn't appear to have eaten through the traces. The SE/30 also looks clean but because it's almost 31 years old now I'm going to go ahead and replace all the caps before it's a lost cause too. My goal with these is to learn how to properly get them back up and running and then to pass them on to like minded friends with a love of classic Apple. 

Any glaring problems with my plans to work on the IIsi first and then move on to the SE and SE/30? Other than patience and following guides carefully is there any advice you wish you'd have heard before you recapped your first machine?

Looks good.  Haven't seen a vintage Mac that doesn't need a recap.  The SE and SE/30 should have similar (if not identical) analog boards, power supplies, CRTs, etc.  So if one or the other isn't working, it'd be trivial to swap parts around for testing.

Posted (edited)

That's what I figured, especially since the SE was available for upgrade to a /30 with a logic board swap. I did a search on my serial numbers and was amused to see they were only built a few weeks apart in 89. Once I've it capped and booting up I Hope to have a better understanding of what I want to do with them.

Edited by mints
Posted (edited)

Quadra is in my possession, and it runs. I used an 80MB drive I have from the IIsi and got it to boot up, but it's running everything setup to be used on the IIsi. RAM and VRAM were maxed out, the 16MB RAM SIMMS are really odd, it looks like it was a contemporary solution to getting more memory on a stick, rather than going vertical, it went horizontal so the sticks go all the way to the speaker mount and freaked me out when I took everything apart to change the battery, couldn't get the speaker back in until I did it ahead of putting the RAM in.  

The Others are in progress. I've got to hit order on the caps and just set aside the time to recap them once the parts come in, then work on upgrades to the SE/30.

One thing I did notice was that even without power going to the SE/30 it's experienced a good bit of burn in. The menu bar is visible. The FDHD is trashed and needs fixing, it didn't come with a mount for an HDD but since I was going to get an SD solution anyways I can probably just have something 3d printed for that. 

C642A6B5-543B-4CC1-8989-FEC64A18D0EF_1_201_a.heic

Edited by mints
adding more info.
  • 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/20/2021 at 1:38 AM, mints said:

is there any advice you wish you'd have heard before you recapped your first machine?

If you are not good at soldering SMD components, practice on something else first before diving into fixing your Mac. I find these videos really good in terms of a good process to use for recapping: https://www.youtube.com/branchuscreations

20 hours ago, mints said:

One thing I did notice was that even without power going to the SE/30 it's experienced a good bit of burn in. The menu bar is visible.

That is indeed some 'good' burn-in there.

By the way, the forum doesn't support those HEIC files, infact most people won't be able to view a HEIC file. I recommend uploading a JPG to your posts in future or using imgur.com to share images.

Posted (edited)

Thanks. I’ve been in lurk mode on forums for about a decade rarely popping up for discussion and didn’t even realize that my phone was outputting the photos in that mode.  Here it is in jpeg form. As to getting a practice set of boards in I think that's probably a good idea. While these came to me with no strings and fully told upfront that there'd be work necessary before they powered on again, it would kill me if I ruined them beyond repair thanks to being too cocky that I could do the work on my first go.

464E57BF-C358-4385-8C80-A109233567C2.thumb.jpeg.d01b43f707bdc20a4b9b24a2b49ba57b.jpeged out

Edited by mints
HEIC files don't work for inline viewing.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter
20 minutes ago, mints said:

Had to preorder this to make sure I didn't end up on some chase when it finally ships. 

Lol, I just got mine in the mail yesterday

• 68kMLA Supporter