Retrobright retrobrite tub idea

I got this tub at Tractor Supply. It's the perfect size for an SE or SE/30. I filled a windshield washer fluid container with water and gravel so it displaces water and weighs down the Mac and then jammed that inside the Mac body and put the front bezel on. The Mac then went upside down into the container and I filled it with water and liquid peroxide hair bleach #40. The liquid juuust covers the feet. Perfect fit. Now I'm just waiting for the results. The container is clear but it's late so I'm not sure it'll get much sunshine. 

PXL_20210403_215924644.jpg

PXL_20210403_221114687.jpg

PXL_20210403_221136793.jpg

PXL_20210403_221744595.jpg

PXL_20210403_221834432.jpg

PXL_20210403_222309746.MP.jpg

PXL_20210403_221756917.jpg

Should have popped the Apple logo off first -- I hope it doesn't fade too much! The peroxide can also make the rubber feet gummy, always good to take those off first too. 

Edited by mattsoft

Doh! I'm new to this. I bleached an SE that turned out great but I brushed on the creme bleach on that one so the logo and feet were married off. I'll go pop the logo and feet off the SE/30 now. Thanks for the reminder!

• 68kMLA Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

That bin looks perfect--there's almost no wasted water! For what it's worth, I have had good luck with the technique you are using. I prefer immersing everything I retrobrite, because it seems go slower and more evenly. This method provides much more control than creme in the sunlight does. If you google "retrobrite failure", unfortunately, I'm the second thing that comes up (#1 on DuckDuckGo!), so as you can imagine, I have had some experience with retrobrite going poorly. I ruined a Macintosh SE a few years ago with peroxide creme, and I've never used it again. A year ago, normal drugstore hydrogen peroxide was completely unavailable, so I figured out that pool oxidizer is a pretty cheap way to get lots of concentrated peroxide for retrobriting. I look forward to seeing your results!

Before and after. One bottle of "volume 40" hair peroxide is too little. Not a lot of sunshine either and air temps in the 50°F/10°C range. Looks about half way there. Back into the tank. More peroxide coming tomorrow.

PXL_20210401_203040178~2.jpg

PXL_20210404_231842402~2.jpg

• 68kMLA Supporter

Looks like it's suffering from the marbling effect that you often get with retrobright which IMO is worse than the yellowing itself, but each to their own...

As has been mentioned, pop the Apple logo off before you subject it to more retrobright - the hydrogen peroxide will affect the colours in the logo.

22 hours ago, kenc3dan said:

I've done one Mac before and I found that once you bleach them enough everything goes to a single shade. This one needs more soaking. It's about halfway done.

Yeah, it looks like it is marbling. More peroxide won't help. One thing I'm not sure if you did or not before putting it into the peroxide is to really, really, really clean it well with a degreaser. If there was dirt or grime on the case when it went into the peroxide, it will come out spotty. The plastic needs to be very clean prior. A full bottle of 40 is more than enough. You only need half a bottle and the rest water. Low and slow is the way to go with retrobriting. If the case gets ruined, it's just more reason to get a clear case from maceffects. :)

Edited by mattsoft
21 hours ago, mattsoft said:

Low and slow is the way to go with retrobriting.

100% agree. A full bottle is already way too much in that much water, so more is not going to solve the problem. The key missing factor in your situation is heat & UV light, and at 10°C temps you're simply not there yet. I say pump the brakes and wait until it's sustained 20+. What's the rush?

• 68kMLA Supporter
19 hours ago, desertrout said:

100% agree. A full bottle is already way too much in that much water, so more is not going to solve the problem. The key missing factor in your situation is heat & UV light, and at 10°C temps you're simply not there yet. I say pump the brakes and wait until it's sustained 20+. What's the rush?

I would like to brighten up my cases this summer. Any quick tips from your experience? I see a lot of tutorials but they all have their own little spin on things.

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, ironborn65 said:

Is Pantone 421 the right target colour tone ?

The SE and SE/30 are a warm grey platinum color. Hartmut Esslinger disliked the beige color used for the Apple II, III, Lisa and original Macintosh. So an off white color was used instead. In PANTONE's color system, the color used for the SE and SE/30 is probably closest to 420 or 421. According to Apple, "Apple does not normally use PMS color charts or Pantone color numbers to designate the platinum color that is now the company standard. Our platinum color number on a coded PMS chart is somewhere between 420 and 421, somewhat closer to 421. (This depends on the age of the chart and the light source used for viewing it.)"

Edited by joshc

Kenc...

How much of the liquid peroxide hair bleach #40 solution did you mix into your water?  The entire bottle?  I have a Color Classic that I need to do the same thing to. What size (volume) bottle of liquid peroxide did you use?

Thank you so much.  Great addition of the tub!

mraroid

• 68kMLA Supporter

Did you clean your SE/30 case with soap and a toothbrush before submerging it in peroxide? Could that be what is causing the marbling, or is it just an illusion in the photo?

FWIW, I've never experienced any marbling when fully submerging parts in hydrogen peroxide.

On 4/4/2021 at 4:45 AM, Stephen said:

I would like to brighten up my cases this summer. Any quick tips from your experience? I see a lot of tutorials but they all have their own little spin on things.

Yup, everyone has their own process / recipe they swear by, so take what I say with a grain of salt - it works for me, your experience may vary. I'm not a scientist, just a hobbyist. :)

• 30 or 40 volume developer, I just buy the white creme stuff in small 150mL bottles because that's what I can find locally
  • Mix in low ratio - I'll use one or two 150mL bottles in 65L or so of water
  • Hotter / sunnier the day the better - sun / UV exposure seems to be key
  • Check often, turn often, mix the solution often - bubbles forming is a good sign

That's about it I guess.

Because I live in Canada, the process takes a while - hours, sometimes days. I leave the pieces submerged the whole time. On compact cases I don't remove the labels or feet, they don't seem affected. I just make sure the pieces are CLEAN first. However, any pieces I do this summer I'll remove the badge, as I do notice on one case that the green of the apple may have lightened too much.

Also, I reuse the solution until it seems to be loosing effectiveness, but I can do several rounds in the same solution.

Yeah, everyone has their own process. I always wash the case well with a degreaser like simple green and remove any scuffs with a magic eraser. Scrub that plastic clean, clean, clean. Remove any metal pieces and logos (like the Apple badge). Then submerge in water in a clear bin, add about 8 oz of SalonCare 40 clear developer. Let it sit in the sun. In the winter, I do it indoors with construction lights. Rotate often. Low and slow...low and slow...sometimes it takes days, sometimes hours. I never leave it submerged overnight or when I can't check on it every hour or so. You don't really need light as so much as you need heat with the peroxide, so as long as the water is getting warm you're good. Don't let it get too hot -- I've had that happen with key caps and have bent spacebars. DOH!

For those of you who have submerged compacts, how does the metallic paint on the inside of the case hold up?

I've got several compacts I'd love to submerge, but I am worried about damaging that internal paint.  I don't want to do the cream method — seems like it's really easy for it to go wrong.

On 4/4/2021 at 3:07 PM, mattsoft said:

Then submerge in water in a clear bin, add about 8 oz of SalonCare 40 clear developer.

Hi mattsoft...

About how much water do you add to the 8 oz of SalonCare?  Is SalonCare a paste or a liquid?

Thanks for your post.

mraroid

• 68kMLA Supporter
On 4/5/2021 at 11:24 PM, 68krazy said:

For those of you who have submerged compacts, how does the metallic paint on the inside of the case hold up?

It does reasonably well, but there have been a few instances where I have found the paint to begin flaking off after the treatment. This hasn't happened to me every time, but I had a IIsi that lost about half its silver paint. Overall, the compact macs have done okay. I'm personally happy to lose a bit of paint if I can lower the risk of "marbling" the computer with a failed cream retrobrite. I have also noticed that metal shielding tends to corrode, so I always remove it first. This often means I have to cut the melted plastic holding it in place and glue it back down afterwards.

On 4/6/2021 at 7:53 PM, mraroid said:

About how much water do you add to the 8 oz of SalonCare?  Is SalonCare a paste or a liquid?

Fortunately, this isn't a super exact science. Typically, the higher the concentration of hydrogen peroxide, the faster things go. Highly concentrated peroxide isn't great to get on your skin, but once it is diluted with several gallons of water, this becomes less of an issue. (I would still recommend wearing rubber gloves) SalonCare comes as both a paste and a liquid depending on the exact product variant. Pool oxidizer is essentially the same 7% hydrogen peroxide, but rebranded. It is a bit cheaper than the 12% beauty/3% first-aid products, and works equally well.

On 4/6/2021 at 4:53 PM, mraroid said:

Hi mattsoft...

Thanks for your post.

mraroid

Yeah, it's not scientific, but if I'm using enough water to submerge an SE case, I would only use maybe 8oz of the SalonCare 40 which is a clear liquid. it's strong stuff.

Thanks so much mattsoft.....

As it has been said, everyone has a slightly different method.    I wanted to use the liquid hydrogen peroxide rather then the paste.  I am down the river from you in Salem Oregon.  I will look around for the SalonCare that you used.

All the best,

mraroid

21 hours ago, mraroid said:

Thanks so much mattsoft.....

As it has been said, everyone has a slightly different method.    I wanted to use the liquid hydrogen peroxide rather then the paste.  I am down the river from you in Salem Oregon.  I will look around for the SalonCare that you used.

All the best,

mraroid

If you have a Sally Beauty store nearby, you can buy it there. If not, you can order it online: https://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-color/shop-all-hair-color/40-volume-clear-developer/SBS-760625.html

I usually buy it from my local Sally Beauty. The sales people there sometimes give me funny looks for buying so much. One time, one of them asked me what I was using it for. They had no idea and gave me a smirk. :)