Math/Science Libraries for THINK Pascal 4.0.2

• 68kMLA Supporter

I have been using my Macintosh and THINK Pascal 4.0.2 to learn more about programming and had some questions for someone who knows more than I do.  Most of my knowledge of programming comes from doing data manipulation in Matlab and I've never really had to add much to it because it comes with a lot.  I am mostly interested in doing mathematics and THINK Pascal has basically nothing in that regard. It can essentially only add, subtract, multiply, and divide.  I am fine with creating my own functions for some things, but am interested to know if there are libraries out there that add some math capabilities out there. Does anyone know where I might find such a thing?

My first project is going to be making a scientific calculator desk accessory. I am also working on converting some of my chemical softening models from Matlab into Pascal for practice. I wish I had an SE/30 and could run Mathematica or Maple :cry: 

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

In THINK Pascal you would access standard math functions (trig, exponential, sqrt, log, etc.) from the Standard Apple Numeric Environment which would be included standard.  Add a “USES SANE;” or similar and you should be good to go.

Edited by Crutch
  • 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, Crutch said:

In THINK Pascal you would access standard math functions (trig, exponential, sqrt, log, etc.) from the Standard Apple Numeric Environment which would be included standard.  Add a “USES SANE;” or similar and you should be good to go.

Hey, thanks for the tip! I was able to figure out that I can use exp() and ln() with the base libraries. I tried earlier and couldn't get it to work, so thought it didn't exist. I didn't want to have to program in log tables or some approximation method for exponents.  I didn't know about the SANE library, which is included in my install. I'll have to check it out and see what all functions it comes with. I have been impressed with THINK Pascal so far, it seems much more modern, easy to use, and feature packed than what I was expecting. 

Is there a way to view all the functions available in a library? I tried reading through the manual and couldn't find anything. I tried opening the library to look in it, but could only add it for use.