haplain's never-ending quest

Although Netburst occupies the same soft spot in my heart that G4/G5 occupies in the hearts of many, I'll totally acknowledge that the Pentium M was a better chip in every single sense.

The C640 and T30 were pretty similar, do you know whether the C640 was using the "Mobile Pentium 4" or the "Pentium 4M" ? My T30 had a sticker reading "Pentium 4m" on it, but I've just never spent that much time with a C640.

In terms of doggedness, I had a gig of ram and a very new (like, from 2009 or 2010) disk in my T30, which probably contributed to its relative sprightliness. It matches the 1.67GHz PowerBook G4 in Cinebench, despite being two years older, and it ran Windows 7 well enough. I was able to play a few YouTube videos on it and run iTunes, but (and I've long presumed this was a RAM constraint) it was not pleasant to run very many applications at once. (This is the case with the machine that replaces it on my desk, a ThinkPad X31 with a 1.4GHz Pentium M and anywhere from 768m to 1.5GB of ram, so at least part of this is that I'm running Windows 7 on decade-old hardware. The X31 now runs a console-only Debian Linux installation, but that's another story.)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The C640 and T30 were pretty similar, do you know whether the C640 was using the "Mobile Pentium 4" or the "Pentium 4M" ? My T30 had a sticker reading "Pentium 4m" on it, but I've just never spent that much time with a C640.

The C640 was also a 4M at... I don't honestly remember, 1.8ghz? To be fair I guess it wasn't a *terrible* machine in and of itself, it just came off rather badly when compared to both its predecessors *and* its successors. The C610s I was comparing it to had the 1.13 Ghz Mobile Pentium III-M, and... wow, that actually has a higher average Passmark score than the 1.8ghz Pentium 4M does. It was heavier and got worse battery life than P-III as well, so its whole existence sort of seemed pointless. (The one good point about it was it had a 1400x1050 screen vs. 1024x768.)

Again, though, it was still a much nicer machine than those "Lan Party" laptops. (I can't remember if they were actual Alienware units or knockoffs.) Huge, flimsy, loud, the battery was basically a 1 hour UPS, terrible.

It matches the 1.67GHz PowerBook G4 in Cinebench, despite being two years older, and it ran Windows 7 well enough.

It's amazing how Apple was able to keep perpetuating the illusion that the G4 was even remotely competitive after about 2002. The one crutch it had to stand on was the Altivec unit, which is what let it keep winning a select few media-related benchmarks, but for general-case IPC the G4 is basically a Pentium II/III competitor and it really started to suffer from memory bus starvation once the clock was ramped up into the Ghz ballpark. I do sort of wonder in retrospect what Apple's plan was for laptops when they gave the nod to using the G5; were they just really optimistic that IBM could deliver a laptop version, were they counting on a skunkworks deal with what became P. A. Semi to deliver a workable PWRficient CPU three years earlier than what actually played out, or what?

it just came off rather badly when compared to both its predecessors *and* its successors.

Having owned an X24, T30, and X31, I have tried not to compare the T30 to the two X series machines, because it sits in a different class of hardware, and the X24 was hampered by a fairly low ram ceiling compared to a T23, which would probably make the T30 look worse than it did to me. I have a T42p, but I don't have a T40, but I have no problems believing that the Pentium M coupled with the doubled memory capacity of the T40 would make that look a whole lot better than the T30 as well.

With the T40 having been available in 2003 as well, it's interesting to think about how badly the G4s were doing at the time, compared to x86 machines. (Again, I was not only drinking the Mac Koolade from about 2002 all the way through like 2007, I was the proprietor of the Koolade, and I made reasonably specific and heavy attempts to prove that Apple was omg the bestest evar on a pretty regular basis.)

Good call also added. Ones for sale right now. I'm talking to the guy about it. 5k's a tad steep.

He has A LOT of stuff. Bought a few things from him over the years. I thought for a while he stepped away from things. Tempted to buy one Lisa part from him per week so I can just build my own without a huge upfront cost!

Back a couple pages. If anyone wants a q51 schematic, let me know. I have the full one on PDF. Haplain, did you ever figure out a code name for the the repackaged Q51? I may be able to pull a schematic for it but I need its Q code name.

So I still have yet to get the dual PPC prototype PowerBook to boot to a stable OS. I can however get it to boot to a 10.4 install disk and then go to the System Profiler to see what it's got. It's a dual 1.5Ghz PPC chip.

I also rearranged since I've gotten a lot more prototype iOS stuff than when I last took a photo.

This is a 17" PowerBook 1.0 fully prototype. The unit is one of the first cuts straight from the CNC, and lightly polished. The logic boards red and everything on it/in it is DVT. I put 10.4.11 on it so I can have classic and she works like a charm. It's a really cool machine. Now I have the bookends. The first 17" 1.0Ghz prototype PowerBook and the last, unreleased 17" Dual 1.5GHz Powerbook. If I only I can get the dual PPC to boot to a real OS. Oh well you can only do so much in a weekend :)