I have a Monoprice Maker Select Mini ... it works pretty well for what it is - a $200 3D printer. The only insurmountable challenge is the small size, but I live in a small condo so it works for me. There is a public workshop in the neighborhood where I can make larger prints if I need to.

Tangential to off topic topic: I made an acetone vapor chamber from a paper towel dipped in nail polish remover and a mason jar and made a really nice shiny Benchy boat last night, it looks beautiful!

post-8375-0-60362100-1490107986_thumb.jpg

Edited by zuctronic
  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Monoprice Maker Select Mini ... it works pretty well for what it is - a $200 3D printer. The only insurmountable challenge is the small size, but I live in a small condo so it works for me. There is a public workshop in the neighborhood where I can make larger prints if I need to.

Tangential to off topic topic: I made an acetone vapor chamber from a paper towel dipped in nail polish remover and a mason jar and made a really nice shiny Benchy boat last night, it looks beautiful!

attachicon.gif20170321_085330.jpg

Impressive bridges! Especially for 200 dollar printer!

• 2 weeks later...

Mystic Plate:

Mystic.jpg

Alaska! I had the library print me one of these, and it is absolutely perfect! Thank you so much for the work you put into that... so much awesomeness! Now I need to find some slightly yellowed "Mac Platinum" spray paint! Edited by joethezombie

Make Magazine does a yearly round-up and review of 3D printers:

http://makezine.com/comparison/3dprinters/

Thanks for the link.  Just wanted to say that my work ended up buying 2 Prusia 3D printers to replace the Makerbot 2 that never worked from day one.  We're selling our Makerbot to a company that buys refurbished Makerbot 1 and 2s.  We hope to get them by this summer.  They're on crazy backorder.

...I've been wanting someone to print a Programmer's Switch for the SE and/or SE/30 for a while now, but even through my (admittedly short-ish) searches, I couldn't find one...

I *could* attempt to make one in Blender, but I don't have a reference piece and I don't have a 3D printer here at college (well, the MakerSpace has one, but I don't think I should burn all of my free prints on failed attempts :p )

Anyone willing to try making one? :)

...I've been wanting someone to print a Programmer's Switch for the SE and/or SE/30 for a while now, but even through my (admittedly short-ish) searches, I couldn't find one...

As far as I have been able to tell there isn't one available in the wild.  I modeled one a year or two ago and printed a couple.  I lost my original files though.  The fact that someone is specifically asking for it might be motivation to go looking.  I think I emailed the STL file to someone maybe I can find that at least if not my cad files.

post-3480-0-31421200-1491373186.jpg

Edited by avadondragon

I found the files! :D

For strength it must be printed vertically with supports.  I tried many times to print it face down without supports but the long pieces that actually press the buttons inside the Mac always sheer off between layers.

MacSE_Debug(vert).stl.zip

If anyone prints one I'd love to see pictures and hear feedback.  There were a few revisions before this one and the design may yet be improved.

Edited by avadondragon

We need to start a Wiki page collection of 3D printable Mac parts for easy access.  Scrolling through pages of discussion is sub-optimal. I've also seen other people have modeled some of the same things I have which is a silly duplication of effort that could be invested in creating even MORE Mac parts!  

I would be happy to write a Wiki page, but I will first need to ask Cory for wiki access.

Also, I got a 3D print of the programmers switches! My friend did it on his printer, it should be here in a week. I will post pics and let everyone know!

How wide is the bezel, six, seven inches? That wouldn't be a big issue, there are plenty of printers with print areas large enough for that. Even if it was 10 inches wide, that would still be printable, albeit with a larger printer.

I think even my tiny RepRap could handle a CDROM Bezel if I fit it diagonally so almost ANY printer could probably print one.  Modelling from an original part isn't difficult at all.  I really enjoy it actually.  Some of those mac parts have some absolutely crazy geometry though.  I spent a couple hours one day calculating all the radii of a particular case front to get a model correct.

I think the biggest obstacle with making new models is that you need:

A:  The original part or at very least the machine it would go on to use for measurements.

B: Some CAD package and a bit of talent using it.

C: Your own functioning 3D printer to do test prints on.

I actually got into 3D printing because my first models failed to print correctly and I didn't know why.  I built a printer from scratch to understand how they worked and how to design my models in a suitable manner to make them print nicely.  Just because you make a perfect replica of a part doesn't necessarily yield a printable replacement.  Often some element just doesn't print well and you have to develop some strategy for compensating while maintaining the original aesthetic.

So, everyone who is interested in new Mac II, SE, and SE/30 programmers switches, I have AMAZING news for you! :D

Lets the pictures of the print out speak for themselves!:

post-7749-0-05704700-1492041618_thumb.jpg

post-7749-0-37096200-1492041622_thumb.jpg

post-7749-0-39772500-1492041625_thumb.jpg

Your welcome everyone :)

Now, there are some supports to trim away, but over all it is looking pretty good!

Edited by Themk

ArmorAlley and I have exchanged PMs, and I am thinking about doing a run of 20-30 pieces or so. If I can get someone else interested, then I think it will be worth my time to do so!

I am still refining my materials selection, so I don't have any final cost numbers yet, but I am hoping to make these very affordable.