No relation to seller - this is the best price I've seen in quite a while on new batteries from Apple service parts for the main G3 batteries. And they even offer a 30-day warranty. For anyone after a battery for a Pismo or Lombard, this would definitely be cheaper than re-celling. They appear to have multiples...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-Apple-PowerBook-G3-Rechargeable-Battery-M7318-661-2295-/400963410856?hash=item5d5b481ba8:g:EekAAOSwpDdVCgIK

My experience has been hit or miss, but some of the old Apple li-ions have charged up just fine. I bought two NOS ones a few years back that are still pushing about 4200 mAh (about an hour and a half of normal runtime). Since this seller appears to be offering to take returns - that seems to take some of the risk out of it. The guy I bought from down in FL was offering no guarantees, so I got lucky there. Some other older ones that are "condition unknown" I pass on. And I also bought one $20 brick and don't need to do that again.

From...probably the G3's until about 2008 it was roughly 300 cycles. Then they boosted it to 500 once they started sealing them inside, and somewhere around 2010-2011 they upped it to 1000 cycles. (all of those are "It'll still hold 80% after that many charge cycles", not "They'll be dead by then")

Today, Macs, iPads and the Watch are 1000 cycles, iPhones are 500, iPods are 300 still.

My 5th gen iPod classic is still going strong after 8+ years. Haven't babied the battery, either. Same with the shuffles. It's amazing how long some of them can last.

I've still got about 6-7 working Pismo batteries, ranging from ~2200 mAh to ~4500 mAh. Nice to have the option of being uunplugged for about an hour, and of course I can always pop two in if I want to go longer. Won't last forever, but at least for now, most are hanging in there.

When they start to fail, you can see the drop in fully charged mAh pretty precipitously. Every charge, they take a little less.

• 1 month later...

Take the pack that lasts a few hours, and clone its EEPROM onto the other two. Then change the cells. itll be fine afterwords. 

Also before you do this, make sure the good battery is charged all the way up. Then disassemble. That way the eeprom is left in a state of "full charge" 

Then clone eeproms, swap the cells. Let  the rebuilt batteries die and recharge. it will recalibrate itself. 

If anyone has the part number of the EEPROM/Controller that is used you could probably find a datasheet to rewrite the register values. 

My thought is to dump the ROM of a known good battery pack, then one of another that has been completely drained/used up. You could use a simple Hex editor and just compare the dumps side by side. If you then translated the Hex values to decimals that show a difference you could probably get an idea of which bits to change in order to reset the wear leveling settings. Or simply burn the ROM of the known good one to the abd one and replace the cells.

Edited by asaggynoodle

Yes, they are pretty great. Love the keyboard feel. I like the iBooks too, but the Pismo just has an extra something and the screen size is just about perfect too. I wish some remanufactured batteries would become available at about a $40-50 price point. There were a lot more batteries on the 'Bay when I started collecting them in 2010 or so.

Why are the older Wallstreet batteries easier to get compared to the newer Lombard/Pismo and tiBook models?

I had one somewhat working battery for my Wallstreets (haven't charged it in a while) and a somewhat working  one for a TiBook. I use my later G4 laptops more as laptops and they have easier to find new batteries (of various quality).