If you get this going, I am certain it will be of great use to all of us. I don’t think there is any such guide floating around.

What connector is on the back of the drive? There are inexpensive USB adapters available for just about any internal peripheral be they desktop of laptop.

For testing, turn it into a bare nekkid external USB optical drive. [}:)]

So here is the latest.

I tried and tried and I've given up hope. This does not mean it can't be done. It just means that in my case there is something about the roller that won't grip the disc hard enough. I've cleaned the rubber roller to an extreme and added thin but very strong double sided to tape to ensure the rubber rollers rotate with the shaft and they absolutely did so but there just isn't enough grip or something else.

I took apart all the drive's mechanics and gears, applied new grease to gears added more double sided tape under the rubber roller but some slippage always remained.

I haven't given up completely I suppose but for the time being I have gotten tired of the disassembly/reassembly process, which has been about 8 times in all.

So for now I am leaving this but if and when I come back to it I will come back here to post any more info.

I am not sure if I will post this on my blog because it wasn't a success but instead a learning experience on  the disassembly/reassembly of this poor little optical drive.

I feel your pain quite literally Alex, as I now have two 400K floppy drives and a 512K motherboard in need of repair help:

Sorrow never ends. :-( 

I had good success following this guide on-line, with some modifications:

https://imgur.com/gallery/hecBMSW

Instead of microwaving the belt (wife absolutely forbid it), I boiled water in a pot and put the belt on a small strainer so that it was suspended about 1/3 from the top. Let boil for 10-15 minutes

Follow the rest of the directions on the page.  Clean the black roller and make it semi tacky.

After removing the belt, i gave it a VERY quick spray shot of Loctite spray adhesive.  Just enough to make it a little tacky as well.

Drive works almost like new.  I'll make sure and use it frequently over the next few days to make sure nothing actually got glued and stuck.

IMG_9801.jpg

IMG_9804.jpg