PB145B

• Content Count

• Last visited

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

3476 profile views
  1. Great video! About the glue, pretty sure it’s regular old hot glue. Nothing special.
  2. PB145B

Corroded Chip

That’s really awesome! So cool to see 30+ year-old computers still in-service! SCSI2SDs are absolutely perfect for applications like this where the machine is relied upon. I’m usually a stickler for mechanical drives, but maximum reliability is absolutely crucial in situations like this.
  3. PB145B

512K(e) Online

Wow, that’s a nice rig! Can’t go wrong with a good old IBM XT and a Mac 512. Two classics. I also give you extra points for having a Microsoft green-eyed mouse. I’m also quite jealous of that IBM 5154 monitor!
  4. PB145B

Corroded Chip

It looks to me like those caps have already been replaced and that is flux.
  5. PB145B

Macintosh 512K revival

Got the Sony Test betas running on the 512! The “Steve sez...” dialog boxes in version 7 are just beyond cool!
  6. PB145B

Question: 128k/512k and 800k drive

Wow, that’s awesome! Didn’t know that. I’ve got one of those drives, so I will be doing some experimenting tonight...
  7. PB145B

Macintosh 512K revival

Happy to report the floppy drive is still working! Also, I received the other analog board I purchased with the older, smaller flyback and it is working great! No more high-pitched ringing either! I can’t believe it just worked. Didn’t need any help at all. Obviously, it still needs to be recapped, but otherwise it’s good to go.
  8. PB145B

SCSI2SSD for Macintosh Portable?

No, it having the original caps only hurts it. For the hard drive, yes, it would be cooler (to me at least) with the original hard drive if you could get that working. But, if you are going to be writing in it, a solid-state solution may be a good idea so you don’t loose data to a hard drive failure. Or, what I’d do is keep the hard drive in-place and make periodic backups to floppies. Not turning it on won’t preserve the caps. They will continue degrading regardless. I say get it fixed-up and enjoy it. Using it is not going to hurt it. Just take good care of it and it’ll be fine.
  9. PB145B

This disk is killing my 400k drives!

Yes, you should never just stick a regular cleaning disk in a single-sided drive. However, like I said, you could, with the drive out of the machine, put the cleaning disk in and hold the pressure pad assembly off of the disk with your finger. I don’t think it would hurt anything that way.
  10. PB145B

Macintosh 512K revival

You’re welcome!
  11. PB145B

Macintosh 512K revival

Here’s a better pic of what I’m talking about (not my own pic). It’s the screw outlined in green.
  12. PB145B

Macintosh 512K revival

There is a screw behind that piece of linkage I outlined (going through the little circuit board the sensor is mounted to. Loosen that, and the sensor will move back-and-forth allowing for adjustment.
  13. PB145B

Macintosh 512K revival

DAMN, the internal drive has given me absolute hell in this Mac today. It started giving me the sad Mac and spitting the disk out. So I completely tore the drive down, took the heads out and stuff: Got all that old grease off of the worm gear. Didn’t help one bit. I spent about 6-hours on it and to keep it short, it was the track-0 sensor yet again. I loosened the screw on it, moved it back just a hair, and it has been working ever since! Hopefully it’ll keep working this time...
  14. PB145B

Macintosh 512K revival

The ringing has returned unfortunately. Damn.
  15. PB145B

Macintosh 512K revival

Well, I unsoldered the flyback to inspect it, and also because I was thinking about temporarily swapping the one from my platinum Plus into here so I could stand to use it (the high-pitch ringing was very intense). I decided to solder it back in first just to see if anything changed, and it has not made the ringing sound since! Maybe it really was bad solder joints. I didn’t initially reflow the flyback because it looked fine, but maybe it wasn't. I did find it odd that I could occasionally make it stop by pushing-in on the analog board side of the Mac. Time will tell If this is a lasting fix. I’ve also still got that early analog board on the way with the smaller flyback, which I’m still quite curious about. Either way, having an extra analog board never hurts!