Phil168

• Content Count

• Last visited

1. Phil168

Solid State Drive for G3?

Don't give up! I just installed the same OWC kit you have (120GB Mercury Pro SSD and Addonics adapter) in my Beige G3 minitower. The minitower boots up from the SSD without any problem, although it does take a while to start. Took me a while and with much help from Cory5412. The earlier problem you had with no video is not a video problem. It's with the IDE adapter. I had the same problem with the video until I changed the setting on the IDE adapter to slave. Not sure why it's got to be slave but that's how I got it to boot up. Here's what I did: 1. Replaced the old 40 wire cable with an 80 wire cable I got from Ebay. Had to drill a small hole in the connector as described by error1 to connect it to the motherboard. 2. Removed the SSD from the OWC bracket, mounted it on a Corsair Dual SSD Bracket and was able to attach it to the minitower HD bracket. I changed the Addonics adapter jumper setting from Master to Slave and connected it to the SSD. 3. Then copied a minimal 8.6 system folder with Drive Setup to a zip disk and was able to boot up from the zip. 4. Once in, I was able to format the 120GB SSD (without any partitions) with Drive Setup. Copied the minimal 8.6 to the SSD, selected it as Startup disk and restarted. And it worked! The boot process may take a while so you'll have to wait. Mine takes several minutes to boot up. Still can't figure out it takes so long. Actually, the whole process wasn't as smooth as I described, but that's how I got it to work eventually. The breakthrough came when I changed the setting on the IDE adapter to Slave. That's probably the most important part. I was stumped for several days until I decided to mess with the jumper settings. Incidentally, I found that the IDE adapter in the OWC legacy kit is identical to this one on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017VQSXJK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 If you want to read my exchange with Cory5412, here's part of the thread:
  2. Phil168

SSD for Powermac G3 beige minitower

Success! The key was the zip drive. I put together a minimal 8.6 and copied it to a zip disk. I included the Drive Setup utility in the zip. There were a few hiccups along the way. At first the SSD prevented the zip from booting up. So I went and changed the jumper setting to slave and it worked! Very strange. The jumper setting on the old HDD was master. Once I was able to boot up from the zip drive, I was able to reformat the SSD with the Drive Setup and copied the minimal OS 8.6 onto the SSD. Then I selected the SSD as startup disk and restarted and it worked! The only thing is it's taking a long time for the computer to find the OS and start booting up. I don't recall it taking this long. Maybe I'm used to the Quicksilver booting up quickly. Been a while since I last used the G3. The OS X on my Quicksilver is 10.2, Jaguar I think. I don't use it much. I prefer 9.2.2. When I partitioned it in OS X, I did HFS extended. I didn't see any option to partition it in Drive Setup so I just left it at 120 gigs. What's so weird is that the SSD worked only when I changed the Addonics adapter to slave. When I had it on master, there was no video, no boot up screen at all. Thanks so much for all your help!
  3. Phil168

Thanks for responding. I have a Quicksilver and formatted and partitioned the drive in OS X with the OS 9 drivers and copied the system folder into the first partition. Then I installed the drive in the G3. Could hear the chime but the video never started. Never saw the blinking floppy icon. When I put back the old HD, it worked perfectly. I then formatted an old 60 gig seagate HDD and copied over an OS 9.2.2 system folder and installed it in the G3. This time I got the blinking icon with the ?. The system folder showed the active system glyph when I copied it over so it should've been recognized. The CD-ROM drive seems to be broken. Every time I put in a CD, the system would freeze and I had to restart. I'm thinking it may have to do with the formatting. There's no reason why it wouldn't work with the seagate. Is there a special way to format the boot drive in G3s? Never had this problem before. Not sure what you meant by the single partitioning a couple gigs. Did you mean to partition them in 2 partitions or in 2 gig partitions? I didn't know you can have a minimal 8.6 install with less than 100 megs. I'll try that. Hopefully the zip drive still works. Thanks again.
  4. Phil168

I change the old IDE cable to a 80-wire cable but system still not booting up. I have a G3 beige mini tower. System runs well on 8.6 but the old 20 gb Maxtor HDD is on its last legs so I'm trying to install an OWC 120 GB SSD with the Addonics SATA/IDE adapter. I partitioned the 120 gb into three partitions, 7, 50, 60. I copied a working OS 8.6 to the first partition but the system won't boot. So I put back the old Maxtor and it boots ok with the new 80 wire cable. Deleted the 8.6 and installed a 9.2.2 on the first partition. Still no luck. Would sure appreciate your insights. What I'm hoping to do is replicate the steps you took to install your SSD if you could share them. Thanks!
  5. Phil168

Solid State Drive for G3?

Thanks for sharing this info. Is there any specific reason for partitioning the drive 4g,4g,50g,60g? Thanks.