• Content Count

• Last visited

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    http://www.blatboy.com

Profile Information

1. blatboy

Another SE/30 recap disaster

Thanks! yeah... I know a few of those tricks. I think it's just the fact that I'll do it... then won't need to for a year or so.. then try again after I've lost the touch. Use it or lose it, man. Good to know! I think my solder sucker has a temp control... I should check it out. (Hakko FR-300) That said... to really clean up this board and do it right I feel I need one of those hot air soldering stations w/a preheater station. Haha. Yeah. I'm a full time musician and a struggling engineer...
  2. blatboy

Cool. Thanks. I'm going to give it a good wash this week. I feel a little better already.
  3. blatboy

Much like LazarusNine, I had my own disaster. Two issues: 1. Had my iron set for 650F and was using some solder tweezers (Hakko FX-8804-02) thinking it would be easier to get the SMD caps off. It was, but it left residue in between the pads. I think I got a little too rambunctious trying to clean off the residue and it looks like I exposed a trace. I think. Check out C4. 2. As far as the axial caps go... I've done this with through hole components enough that it should not have been an issue, but it was. I just couldn't clear of solder out of 3 those 4 holes. I have a fancy desoldering gun, but that didn't seem to do the job. (Seemed the tip was too big for these smaller holes? Normally not an issue when desoldering through hole caps.) Maybe I don't have the mojo I need for solder wick. I do prime it with solder to get it going... cleared one hole, but the others... nada. I have a cheap solder sucker that... surprise, didn't seem to do it for me either. Note I do plan on putting this baby in the dishwasher. (no soap, no drying cycle) I'm hoping that will take care of some of that cap residue, and will be more gentle than me chipping at it with a solder tool and isopropyl. Anyway... please take a look at these shots. Maybe it's not as bad as I feel it is. Maybe I should be publicly shamed. Learning on the internets and having fancy tools is really swell and all, but it's skills like these where I wish I could get time in person with someone who really knows how to do these things... especially when repairing these older boards. Even though I've successfully recapped one board, this hardly makes me an "expert." Thanks again for any thoughts you have.
  4. So, I should try to sell it for next to nothing on Ebay? I have no problem with that from a $$ point of view...it's more a time thing. But, I'm considering it. I hate to see stuff wasted. My local electronics recycler also tries to reuse things, I may just send it to them if Ebay doesn't work out. They seem to be a pretty trustworthy operation. People still use dialup? From a retro computer perspective, I could see a null modem being of use, but not so much a dialup modem. Unless of course (and again this is us retro enthusiasts and counter-culture-y types) you're hooking up to a BBS system...which I know there are still some out there. I guess the connection type depends on the host of the BBS, though I can't imagine hooking up to something like that with a 56K or even a 14.40K. Last time I was on one, I was using a 2400 baud serial modem in 1991 or so. Interesting.
  5. Happy New Year! I got my hands on a lot of old computer gear recently. None of it is that interesting on the Mac side of thing (some interesting Amiga pieces...) but there are a couple of serial modems that were used with classic (compact basically) macs. One is 14.4K (a Line Link 144e for Macintosh in a box) and the other is 56K. There's also a decent looking SCSI scanner... no ADP port... as well... In all reality, the best thing for me to do is recycle this stuff, yes? I see no use for it and it seems like a pain in the butt to try to sell every little thing on ebay. I'm a pretty busy dude. If we were talking network cards for a SE30 it'd be a different story... Thanks for any input.
  6. Hmmmm. It seems Lido is scanning the bus for SCSI drives, but since I have my SSD connected via a USB Buscard, it doesn't see it. I also have a patched version of Apple HD SC Setup 7.3.5, which also scans the SCSI bus and won't recognize a drive on the USB cardbus. I don't have a SCSI adapter that fits into the back of my wallstreet. (that I know of, that is...there may be one in my wife's boxes o stuff...) I think I'm S.O.L. as far as finding a way to initialize this disk in a way that the Classic II will recognize it without finding a way to hook it up on the SCSI port, yes? I do have an IDE to SCSI adapter, but I'll need another adapter to use it, either to hook it to the back of the Wallstreet or the Classic II... Does this all sound like solid logic? Thanks, and sorry for my noooooooobieness.
  7. I'm a relative newcomer to the world of Compact Macs. I've been posting in other threads about the Classic II I have recently gotten into working shape. I've almost got everything ready and am just waiting for the SSD to come in the mail. Right now my Classic II is in my little "vintage computer museum" at my studio, but I'd like to the house if I can come up with a creative use for it. I have a few Commodore computers, and those are the ones I get my nostalgic kicks from. They're physically somewhat cumbersome though, and will be staying in the studio. I'm curious how you are using your compact Macs, and am especially curious about practical uses. I can have network (and probably internet) access with it if needed. I'm not completely married to any one idea, so if I can come up with a use that is more apt for the studio than the home, that's ok too... But again, I'm more curious how you're using them than necessarily looking for suggestions of how I use them... (though I'll take those too haha) Thanks!!
  8. Greetings. I'm attempting to put a 2GB SSD into my Classic II. (Evil plans were posted in another thread here.) I've initialized and cloned the drive via my Wallstreet (I picked up a USB bus for the card bay, and it works nice once I found the drivers) I have all the proper mounting equipment and adapters. So, to help brighten my day today, I figured I'd try to hook it up. Seems the Classic II doesn't want to see the drive. I was able to access the drive via AppleTalk when it was hooked to the Wallstreet via USB, so I know it's set up correctly. I've checked my connections. I've tried different jumper combos for SCSI IDs on the SCSI/IDE Adapter. The jumpers on the drive itself are set to "master." After looking at the old SCSI drive, I saw the Apple logo, and I remembered... didn't the Compact macs only work with drives blessed with the Apple seal of approval? (Some sort of EPROM or something...) Is that the case here, and is there a way around it? Thanks! bb
  9. blatboy

Classic II - Drive initialization and cloning

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning in the SSD direction. It's quiet and cool (and fast!)
  10. blatboy

Yeah, especially after reading all this I'm now leaning towards just getting another SCSI drive. Of course it's after I spent the money on the adapters, but at least they weren't too pricey and probably will have some other use down the line. Are forums & homebrew retro sites the best way to go about finding a SCSI drive these days? I know I ain't gonna find that on OWC or NewEgg! I've searched a little and found a 50 pin refurbished 2GB drive for about $130. Maybe I'll go that route after my next paycheck. My basic plan has been to stay with 7.1. From everything I've read, I should be able to do everything I want to do with that OS. As it is, the Classic II runs much faster than the Wallstreet. That being said, I've not cleaned up and optimized the Wallstreet just yet. [EDIT] Just saw some SSD IDE drives (64g) for even less than the refurbished SCSI. Interesting.... [ANOTHER EDIT] some 2G ones too. Crazy! Thanks!
  11. blatboy

Actually, I found some specs for the drive, but I don't quite know if the consumption is too much: Power Requirements Mode 5V 12V ------------ Seek (mA) 562 440 Idle (mA) 396 440 Standby (mA) 65 35 It is a 7200RPM drive which may be a bit of overkill....
  12. blatboy

Thanks! That's a lot of great information, and the link is a treasure trove of solid stuff. I bookmarked it. I've got 8MB right now. I do plan to expand it to 10MB after I get the HD situation sorted out. I've not replaced the caps on the analog board. Looking at the drive that I'm planning to use, I don't see any sort of information about the power consumption on it, outside of the current rating on the rails, which doesn't seem to be the info I'm looking for. It's an older drive, made in 2003, but that's still about a decade more modern than the Classic II. Is it a matter of looking up specs on the interweb, or are there ways of testing the consumption? I'd rather not deal with the analog board, but I will if I have to. Would you recommend that I look for an alternate drive? I was considering contacting Herb to see if he had any SCSI drives, but then I saw the IDE-SCSI adapter, and thought that was my better bet...
  13. Greetings. Now that my Classic II (right now running 7.0.1) has been recapped and is working, I'm looking to put a larger internal drive in it. I have Jag's CD of classic Mac stuff and I'd like to have a drive big enough to hold the whole thing, and then some. I also have an old Wallstreet running 8.6 which is hooked up to the Classic II via LocalTalk. I was able to get an Addonics SCSI-IDE converter (and a 50-68 pin adapter) so that I can, in theory, put an IDE drive in the Classic II. I'll need to initialize that drive and then clone the old SCSI drive onto it. So, my questions: JDW mentioned in this thread that the amazing Wallstreet he obtained came with a AKE USB 2.0 cardbus. Is that this one, and would that specific one work with my Wallstreet? The smallest IDE I have is 40GB. If I'm understanding what I'm reading, I'll need to make some partitions. Once I have that drive hooked up to the Wallstreet via a USB cardbus, I should be able to initialize and partition the drive via the Wallstreet's Drive Setup utility, correct? OR will I need to pick up some more adapters and use the HD SC Setup program, hooking the new drive to the Wallstreet via SCSI? How do I make a bootable clone of the original SCSI drive on the Classic II to a partition on the new drive? I've done some research, but am still a little unclear. I know the info is out there somewhere on this, and if this is all in one obvious place and I'm missing it, please point me in the right direction and I apologize for bugging you with my classic Mac noobie-ness. Oh, and one other little thing... now that I recapped my Classic II and got it working, word got around in my neighborhood and now I seem to be a Classic Mac Magnet. My neighbor just gave me his old (non working) SE which I think has the /30 upgrade. I've yet to crack that one open yet... it's pretty cool though! Thanks!
  14. blatboy

First Recap attempt with a Mac Classic

I cleaned mine by putting the board into a dishwasher, using no detergent and without running the drying cycle. I let it dry for a few days, then did spot cleaning near the caps with alcohol and cotton swabs. I don't know if that is the best way, but it worked for me... :b&w: