All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Bolle

Daystar Universal PowerCache P33 in SE/30

It does. It also applies to the adapters I built so far. You will have to jumper the /CENABLE pin (C13 on the cache slot connector) to ground, otherwise the cache won’t get activated.
  3. Today
  4. LCD monitors can be very picky. I have a high end PCI (notE) CAD card that is supposed to do analog 1920x1080 @60HZ but when you set that resolution the DELL monitor goes blank because it doesn't like the signal. It does work at lower resolutions, I just think when the card is supposed to be doing 60HZ it might be doing slightly less. From my understanding didn't AMD (ATI) and Nvidia drop VGA from their newer cards? You could keep a few old LCD monitors around for old Macs or just find a couple Sony Trinitron CRTs and do it old school at native resolutions that work with SOG and be done with it (while they still function). P.S. Not sure I would want a 1999 era LCD because of low refresh motion blur and bad color reproduction (for business class monitors of the age).
  5. edtt: two posts late to the party, cell phone died mid-post. I'll agree wholeheartedly with you there about keeping a couple of extra Mac Res capable LCDs for backup. Do you know if the UltraSync series is still in production or when it was discontinued if not? I'll step out on a limb and assume those "above-60Hz refresh rates, up to ~144" are being developed for Gaming, 3D 4K movies, VR and such? I'd not pin a lot of hope on such new standards being backward compatible with much of anything pre-dating 60Hz 1080p. Is such display tech really MultiSync in the traditional sense or more a support for fixed resolutions developing within those new realms? That makes two of us! What you've described as two-page framebuffe setup sounds close enough. If so, I'll put a hard ceiling of 16" and Portrait resolutions at 8-bit or maybe even 16-bit on the spec to limit the amount of RAM required for taking built-in video output digital. 8-bit 21" Grayscale Res should also fit somewhere in between, but 4-bit would be fine for that if needs be on a 1080p Panel. That ceiling spec would pretty much cover everything from Mac II Cards thru LCIII Macs and all but the highest end VidCards from that era. Second gen Quadras, maxed VRAM Q700/900 and the LC475/Q605 venture into 24-bit territory at 16" and lower resolutions, but RAM requirements for 24-bit anything would be insane? I hope I'm not asking for the world here. Sure a new build VidCard would be awesome, but we'd be talking about developing three new VidCards to cover NuBus, LC PDS and 030 PDS machines that could all be supported along with a crap-ton of lower end VidCards for same by developing an Active, Digital VGA output converter for those inputs. New, outlandish WAG __________________________________________________________________ The two-page framebuffer setup you describe sounds painfully linear to me. Might pipelining parallel processes cut down on the speed hit and memory requirements using something on the order of JPEG type compression to limit buffering to processing DELTA rather than full frame? Expecting a rapid slapdown for this marginally sane WAG. At only 4 or 8 bits for GS or even 16-bit for RGB, there might be a lot of opportunity for compression on the fly?
  6. MaxVCad

PowerBook 180c Won't Turn On

The trouble ended up being the HDD. I got another one on eBay for $20 and problem solved. I was able to initiate the disk, partition it and update it without issue. I then installed System 7.5. I'm having issues with DiskCopy. I don't know if it's because the floppy IMG files I'm writing are coming off an IBM formatted 1.44. My process is - Put the file on a 1.44 floppy on a Windows 98 computer. Put that floppy into the Powerbook, which it reads fine, and copy the file to my HDD. Then remove that floppy, insert an 800k floppy and use DiskCopy to write the image to the 800k floppy. But every time I do this I get errors -54 and/or -8813 depending on how I go about it. I don't know what those mean but the floppy IMG files I transfer from the IBM 1.44 floppy have a weird icon that says 'PC.' I don't know if maybe I am damaging the IMG files by transferring them via IBM-formatted floppy. I don't really understand why that would matter. Right now the only workaround to this that I've found is, after I transfer the IMG file onto the Powerbook, I restart it. Then DiskCopy can virtually mount the IMG without any errors. Once it's virtually mounted I can drag all the files from the uncompressed IMG and individually copy them onto the 800k floppy. I don't think this is ideal though because I don't think it maintains certain characteristics or possibly hidden files that the original IMG file may have had,
  7. That's not unreasonable behavior several years after Intel GPUs finally dropped onboard VGA. The real goldmine is gong to be in 1024x768 and 1280x1024 business displays manufactured between 1998 and 2018-ish.
  8. The issue a lot of people run into is that most modern LCDs that retain VGA ports are actually very picky about what refresh rates they'll handle; they *really* expect whatever's attached to them to honor the standard VESA modes. Perhaps gaming-oriented displays that support those ridiculous-high modes that are mostly only useful for impressing people who read spec sheets and don't know better are an exception, but most consumer class LCDs sold today are much less flexible than pretty ancient LCD screens sold in the early 'aughts when it comes to putting up with odd mode monkeyshines. And not every computer/monitor combination is going to let you set the refresh to 75hz. I've seen plenty of cases where either the driver will tell you, essentially, "The monitor's DDC info said it can't do that so I'm not gonna", or you'll get an input-out-of-range blank screen when you try it.
  9. That's fair, and my expertise basically starts in 1990. Although, I have been told some of the higher end video cards (like, color ones that work on multiple monitors) from the II-IIx/IIcx era do work with Apple's own multiple scan displays, so I don't see why those wouldn't work with a modern LCD, even if you do need to trick it into the right resolution by using a fixed-mode adapter. Even on a modern computer, you can set the refresh output to 75Hz when you're using an LCD and it'll work fine. It's not "the correct refresh rate", but it will work. The other thing that's increasing in popularity in consumer displays is above-60Hz refresh rates, up to ~144. Any of these displays should have no trouble syncing at 75, and 67 will almost certainly work. Granted, analog input on its own is becoming less common on brand new displays. But, again, there is a HUGE stock of reasonable office computer monitors that have lots of known compatibility with not only vintage Macs but things like SGIs and Suns. The best thing any of us who has a little bit of room in our homes right now can do for the long-term future of machines like "every Mac between the Quadra 650 to the Beige G3, and relevant same-period video cards" is probably to hold onto a couple more LCDs than we're actually using.
  10. Actually a lot of fairly high-end cards don't support 60hz, that didn't really get to be a priority for Apple until around the time the later LC models came out. Anyway, I'm not entirely clear on what Trash is proposing here; the standard way of dealing with mismatched frame frequencies when doing video conversion without tearing or other artifacts is to rely on digitizing whole frames into a two-page framebuffer so you can hold one frame on the screen for however long you arbitrarily need to while the other page fills up. In a case like converting from 67hz to 60 this would have the practical effect of some frames being dropped on the floor and a slight delay being introduced to the feed. (If you make the bear dance well said delay probably won't be more than a little less than twice the frame interval.) "Dirty Frames" as referenced in the Wikipedia article about pull-down aren't really a thing here because that's a characteristic of interlaced output devices. That need for a substantial amount of RAM on the conversion device for buffering frames is why those cheap VGA-HDMI converters expect you to use a frame rate appropriate for the output device on the HDMI side. There really isn't a very clean way around that. People *are* already churning out FPGA-based double-buffering converters like described above for various older home computers (there's a really nice one out there for converting CGA and EGA, for instance) but those low resolutions need only a fraction of the RAM you'd need to buffer a high-resolution display intended for an analog monitor in full color. (IE, a device that double-buffers 640x480@24 bit needs around 2MB of RAM and some quite fast A/D converters, and the requirement climbs upwards from there.) Also remember that analog-to-digital is fundamentally harder than digital to analog; all it takes to do digital-to-analog is a resistor ladder. In short, this is fundamentally not a cheap or easy product. The requirement for a ton of high-speed RAM (broadly speaking twice as much as you'd need for a video card of the same resolution) and those super-fast A/D converters probably add up to make this *not* an easier ask than a full new-build video card.
  11. My point was that LCDs such as the plentiful Dell UltraSharp series are likely to be able to accept these different resolutions. Anything multisync-era (incl. the 24ac, most Quadras after the 700/900, the 24ac, all PowerPC Macs) are new enough that it should have no problem syncing down to 60Hz for any resolution they support, and in my experience using an ultrasharp with Sun equipment, they have no problems with non-native resolutions. (1152x900 is the Sun default resolution, for example.) Those MultiSync presenting machines and cards don't even need DIP switch adapters, a DB15-HD15 cable (such as the one used on the multiple scan 1705) or a regular VGA hd15 cable and a DB15 to HD15 adapter will work fine. I am using a Dell P1914, but this would apply to any UltraSharp 170xFP or 190xFP (and the newer WFP variations.) Monitors matching this general description are still being made by Dell and HP at the very least. For example, the updated version of the display I use https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-19-monitor-p1917s/apd/210-aiij/monitors-monitor-accessories I don't think this is anywhere near as big a problem as you think it is. At absolute worst, all we have to do is be careful not to trash the entire stock of business midrange LCD computer monitors made in the past twenty years, and we'll be fine.
  12. Yesterday
  13. I think you've missed the point: at this time what you say may be true to a very limited extent for that one pitiful resolution. But the supply of MultiSync CRTs is rapidly dwindling. Capable MultiSync LCD panels are showing their age and being phased out of currently available product from what I've seen. I expect availability of new MultiSync Displays compatible with classic mac freqs/resolutions to drop off entirely in the not so distant future if that hasn't happened already? Unfortunately we're currently mired in the age of inexpensive 60Hz limited 1080p Displays. While a terrible desktop resolution to my way of thinking, is an incredibly inexpensive vehicle to fold a wide variety of Classic Macs into our primary workstations. With single of multiple HDMI inputs and BMOW's magic ADB box, current USB, multiple HDMI inputs of cheap switchboxes will suffice and modern KVM switch tech can be brought into play. BTW, I'm the one who pointed out that new build Adapter from Oz. With the active adapter as proposed, just as oddball 75Hz higher resolutions on the list come into play from more advanced, VRAM enabled built-in video output and VidCards over several generations. 832 x 624 @75 Hz 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz 1152 x 870 @ 75 Hz 640 x 870 @ 75 Hz Active Adaptation of those resolutions to 60Hz 1080p over HDMI could be the cat's meow? It would without doubt bring the most out of the sad;y limited capabilities of the IIci and IIsi. Portrait rocks, even in 16 grays it puts 640x480 to shame, color or not. Again, that's the way I see it. Pixel doubled 640x480 in color from the RBV twins on a HDMI panel would kill.
  14. @mraroid The Acard 6280M card supports OS X and OS 9 boot drives. Acard even advertised it as having 8.5 support. Sonnet sold some rebadged versions of this card in the early 2000s along side their Promise derived ones. In fact Sonnet was selling a lot of rebadged products; their PCI SATA cards were all derived from the FirmTek/SeriTek cards.
  15. It should work, but if your blue-and-white won't run OS9 for some reason, but it will run OS X, I suspect something else weird is going on. What happens when you try to boot 9.2.2? (Or, if you have another thread on that issue, please link to it, so we don't spread the effort across two threads.)
  16. To my knowledge, the only two modular Macs that can't output 60Hz VGA are the IIci and the IIsi, aside from, say, ultra-budget Mac II-era video cards. If it's not unreasonably difficult to find an LCD monitor that will just accept 67Hz, I don't see why you couldn't just use one of the normal fixed-mode adapters with the knob or switches to configure 640x480 and then be off. There is even a new run of them being sold on eBay by at least an australian seller. You probably could build, or find an off-the-shelf scan converter if your only option was some PC monitor from 1987 that can only accept, strictly, 640x480@60, but there's bound to be a better solution.
  17. K Trueno

Summary: if you are using a TwinSpark with a Universal PowerCache, you are not getting full speed compared to the Socketed PowerCache. This is because the cache is not enabled even if it is turned on in the control panel. To enable the enabling of the cache, add a jumper between C11 and C13 on the cache slot of the TwinSpark. This may also apply to the IIsi adaptor and DiimoCache adaptor but we don’t know for sure.
  18. K Trueno

Micron Xceed w/ Grayscale Adapter Questions

Congrats! Build pics would be awesome! I am one of a few looking for one as well, but I am learning to be patient!
  19. Trash80toHP_Mini

Cool, waiting patiently for that answer. Is the "enabler" a driver/INIT per se, a Control Panel, or both? I'm willing to bet a shiny nickel the Xceed card will boot right up into a grayscale screen with the SE/30 Video ROM pulled long before the Happy Mac Screen appears. Could very well be wrong about that theory, but I doubt it. The Xceed Declaration ROM almost has to contain code that sends built-in video buffering/registers into a comatose state in the hardware initialization sequence long before the CPU has the first thought about video output. That's a much wilder guess, but that's my theory until convinced otherwise. I've never taken any interest in this particular Unicorn/Money Pit from Micron, or the SE/30 at all for that matter until a DOA Mobo example (Recap Disaster) showed up on my doorstep in trade when someone requested a redundant LC475 I had on hand that was unloved and in need of a bit of TLC. I was easily resurrected and a the SE/30 finally got a heart transplant and some goodies in trade when another member requested bits from the two foot plus 1400 stack. It's amazing how disinterest or idle interests in the hobby can morph into obsessions with the unexpected appearance of new toys. As the RCPII/IIsi work undertaken for the "SE/30's bane" Rocket Powered SuperIIsi project migrated to its nemesis, I was finally bitten well and good by the SE/30 bug. ProtoCache1 adapter and NuBus in SE/30 projects quickly ensued, pushing the SuperIIsi aside after required feasibility studies were completed successfully. Let's swing this post right straight back to the first paragraph and your Micron Xceed testing and then back out onto another tangent. My current obsession (most of the time) is finding a workable path to developing a dedicated, internal only GS Card for the SE/30. Figuring out the workings of the Xceed in terms of its poleaxing of internal video operations is right up there on the to do list. If we can fathom that mystery, the most serious roadblock to development of a new GS Card will have been cleared . . . maybe. Such would also answer the most basic of questions about initial testing for adapting the Fartallon LC PDS NIC to the SE/30. These various projects are tangled together like a half full packing box of assorted Mac, PC and Sun cables that hasn't seen the light of day through a series of four moves and in and out of threedifferent storage rooms at various times but for ransacking of its contents, making random substitutions with a generous application of topsy-turvy rearrangement of various boxen thrown into the mix at every location.
  20. Bolle

Same speed on both of them. As far as I can tell the schematics are nearly identical for the P33 and the SE/30 PowerCache so the GAL sets should really be the same as well.
  21. omidimo

@Bolle Any discernible difference in speeds between socket and PDS cards?
  22. pcamen

Sounds cool guys. For those of us for whom the details discussed in this thread are a little over our head, a summary of what has been discovered to date, and what exactly it does would be helpful.
  23. reallyrandy

7.1 vs 7.5.3 on a Color Classic

That's a pretty pragmatic set of rules. Usually I like to go with the system version it came in the box with just for authenticity. I put these rules in my Apple Notes for reference, Thanks!
  24. Bump. No one knows? My B&W can boot to a early OSX, but not directly to 9.22. Is a card even made to do this? mraroid
  25. EvilCapitalist

I'll have to check that on mine. If I'm remembering correctly the card started in B&W and I had to manually select 256 grays through the Monitors Control Panel after I installed the enabler.
  26. Trash80toHP_Mini

Concur, I outlined why no Declaration ROM/Slot Manager card can act as a startup screen without the required baseline drivers being available long before a Mac hits a startup disk and loading drivers in another thread. That subject might make for an interesting thread topic on its own. The driver (a Control Panel in all cases of which I am aware offhand) offers added flexibility for using drivers in DeclROM required for any supported resolution/bit depth combination. The Control Panel might possibly be required for PRAM setup to get grayscale output from the Xceed up and running for the and Happy Mac screens, but I doubt it. With no sense lines detected on its external monitor connector, I'd think the Micron Xceed would kick into grayscale mode during initialization as the default as there would be no other reason for the card to have been installed in the SE/30 given that machine state but grayscale output. Should the Xceed card fail to initialize during the startup sequence, the SE/30 would certainly default to its internal B&W Video ROM setup, giving the appearance that the Xceed card had come up in single-bit mode? All guesswork of course, but not entirely wild or uneducated I should hope.
  27. omidimo

An additional purchase I made for my SE/30 was a better PSU from Artmix (when he made them), and replaced the fan to help with airflow.
  28. http://lowendmac.com/1994/macintosh-display-card-24ac/ 640 x 480 @ 67 Hz 640 x 480 @ 60 Hz 800 x 600 @ 60 Hz 832 x 624 @75 Hz 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz or 75 Hz 1152 x 870 @ 75 Hz 640 x 870 @ 75 Hz Maximum Bit Depth: 24-bit/16.7 million colors (all resolutions) 640 x 870 Portrait Res in 16 grays is the most you can squeeze out of that infernal Vampire Video/RBV setup of IIci and IIsi. Scaled up or even unscaled it would be nice to send over HDMI to a cheap-as 1080p Panel. Pixel Doubled 640x480 at 1280x960 would be pretty sweet from those machines, with or without interpolation. 8-bit Portrait output and the additional 8-bit 832x640 16" resolution that Radius Color Pivot Cards offer to LC and 030 PDS Macs would be doubly sweet, again scaled or unscaled. Coffee's kicking in so that's it for today's WAGs, I hope this makes sense to someone and might prove workable. Finding a MultiSync Panel for Paleolithic Mac resolutions/freqs ain't gettin' one bit easier.
  1. Load more activity