All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Bolacore

Macintosh 128K - no video and humming sound

Almost got this one working! Good few patch wires at this point, and a new 74LS166. We're now booting and are functional beyond a weird screen. Since it works perfectly other than that, I suspect one of the 74xx ICs for the video generation are also faulty. I will get this stubborn Mac going
  3. Today
  4. Torbar

3D-Printed Objects

https://www.reddit.com/r/VintageApple/comments/f5w03m/free_macintosh_floppy_drive_eject_gear_3d_model/ https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4167139/apps/print/#apps Not mine but someone has released a floppy eject gear. I've actually been working on one on-and-off for the past week since I have a couple of machines that need a new one, but this one looks to be pretty accurate
  5. cheesestraws

Odd PDS Card

'ICE' may be 'In-Circuit Emulator' or similar? A bit out of my area - I think ICEs usually have extra signals brought out, but that looks like it just has the processor pins available, so presumably designed for debugging the OS at a low level?
  6. Thank you James. Indeed I removed it but then began wondering, hmm this must be hear for a reason. Never learned about it but I am pasting you answer here:
  7. hyperneogeo

Odd PDS Card

Seems to be made by Apple. Called the Carnation III ICE. Some sort of processor tester via the PDS slot?
  8. What are the replacement options, if any, for melty rubber feet for the pizza-box style case of the LC series, Performa 475, Quadra 605 etc?
  9. equant

RetroBridgeBBS

Oh yeah, I forgot about the download limits. That might move it to the end of the list to bring online.
  10. equant

RetroBridgeBBS

It's nice to hear some positive feedback, thanks. My linux box doesn't have serial, so I'm using a usb serial adapter. The one I'm using is made by Kensington, but I've ordered a few cheap ones of Amazon to see if they work (I suspect they will). I also have a null modem adapter. If you have a newton with the pc transfer cable, this works great as it's got the minidin on one end and DB9 on the other and has the null-modem part built in too. Yeah, I think this would work, but I haven't tested it yet.
  11. pcamen

RetroBridgeBBS

macintoshrepository.org, to me anyways, seems to have all the same stuff as the Macintosh Garden, but with PITA download limits.
  12. equant

RetroBridgeBBS

Lol, yeah... In fact, I really didn't mean to replicate a BBS when I started... I just wanted an interface that automated the host-side of things (I was doing a lot of wget, miniterm transfer only to find out I couldn't uncompress the .sit file). But then my little script grew out of control. It turns out that there is modern BBS software that will run on linux and run doors. You probably know this since you run a BBS. Anyway, I probably should have started with that, or what I've done should just be a door for any BBS to add. Oh well. I also ran across a blog post from someone talking about how people love to re-invent the wheel and write BBS software badly from scratch. Count me as one of those fools I guess. Small Updated: The infomac archive is now browsable and downloadable using RetroBridgeBBS. It's rudimentary, but I really wanted to get it working since so much of Macintosh Garden requires Stuffit 5.5 and I'm using mostly machines that prefer the earlier stuffit compression. I plan to add file descriptions and a search for infomac in the next few weeks. Opinions Wanted: What online archives, or even individual webpages with links to files, are there that people rate highly for mac software? I plan to add macintoshrepository.org, the umich archive, Max1zzz's Classic Mac Server, and archive.org. Any that I'm missing?
  13. cheesestraws

Developing a portable user-land AppleTalk stack

Another quick update on this: the builders have now left but my mental health is extremely poor, which is making working on software outside of work rather tricky. I haven't abandoned this, though. The good news is that the Mini vMac LToUDP support is in the current alpha of Mini vMac, and looks like it is going to work on Linux too. More will come when I am actually able to concentrate again. Watch this space...
  14. jessenator

scsi2sd-util not finding my device

I went mad testing every f'ing cable in my collection before I found one that would actually connect. I really thought I had zapped the SCSI2SD, because how can so many wretched cables not work?! In the end it was a good thing as our phones are all USB-C now, and thinning the herd was a necessity.
  15. agent_js03

I finally got it. It was a magic combination: USB cable and version. I used the last one from 2015 and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the suggestions.
  16. LaPorta

Next, I’d attempt a different USB cable. It’s known that they are finicky with which they will work with.
  17. pcamen

You can download older versions of the utility ... might be worth trying one of them: http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd/ Do you have another SCSI2SD device that you can verify that you are able to see ANY device through Windows or Linux? I've had a lot of issues with my V5.0b (red) devices in the last few months. But the Wiki does seem to indicate that the latest version you have works with all the versions except the v6.
  18. agent_js03

yeah it's in there. I haven't removed it since initializing it.
  19. EvilCapitalist

SE/30 & Micron Xceed & clear plastic goodie

Congrats and welcome to the grayscale (capable) club! You certainly dodged a bullet with the Maxell explosion as it looks like it didn't affect the card. I've seen more than a handful of cases where the battery explosion also messed up whatever was PDS card was installed.
  20. EvilCapitalist

2x BeBoxes!

Congrats on finding not just one, but TWO BeBoxes! I've only seen a handful out in the wild and the fact that you managed to pick up two of the dual-133 model is quite a feat. You definitely see the Mac influence on BeOS, right down to using the same shortcuts.
  21. LaPorta

Is the SD card in it? I made this goof once before.
  22. agent_js03

Hey guys, I could not find any official help page about this so I posted here because I am getting desperate. I have a scsi2sd (v5 I believe, the short red one that uses microsd) that I have configured before, a long time ago, maybe 2017 or early 18. I used to use it in my LC III, but then I configured and used it in my Apple IIGS. I want to use it in the LC III again. But the 30mb volume just ain't gonna cut it. I know it still works because I was able to initialize it from the disk tools startup disk. I downloaded the latest scsi2sd-util: http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd/latest/linux/ And I followed the user manual here: http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/SCSI2SD_UserManual But no matter what I did, it just keeps saying "searching for bootloader" forever. I even let it run overnight. I have tried like four different usb cables, and I tried it in linux and windows. No go. Am I missing a step or does the latest software just not support this model? In the meantime I will try to dig up the old laptop that I used to configure it before...
  23. techknight

I saved 100+ iBook G3 Clamshells

He was giving them away with contests awhile back. its possible he gave them all away.
  24. CC_333

SE/30 PDS Adapter Epic Blunder

No. This is a known issue with the forum software (something about the email server's spam filter not being tuned properly or something). The admins are aware of the problem and are slowly working on a fix. c
  25. JDW

SE/30 PDS Adapter Epic Blunder

I've shipped a lot of int'l packages during my 25 years in Japan, so you have me very curious as to what label it was they complained about. BTW, I never get any email notifications of replies to this thread, despite the "Notify me of replies" switch below my reply being green and check-marked. Am I the only one who has to manually visit this thread every day to see if somebody replied?
  26. Byte Knight

RetroBridgeBBS

A local BBS - very cool idea! I'm just bummed you didn't include any door games...
  27. jeremywork

DOS CARD

Have you checked the dip switches on the card? I believe they're located under the memory DIMM on your model. The legend for the switches may be silkscreened or stickied onto the card itself, but if not I found this: http://archive.retro.co.za/mirrors/68000/www.vintagemacworld.com/omweb/orangepcfaqs.html Not sure on the CD-ROM issue... You've already tried an Apple SCSI which would be my first suggestion. Which versions of Mac OS have you tried running under?
  1. Load more activity