All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. pcamen

Laserwriter / Laserwriter Plus refurbishment

No, I haven't looked. These things have been in storage for about 10 years, through 8 moves, and I haven't had any time to try and get them working. But I assume _something_ can be found that will work.
  3. olePigeon

@pcamen Oh, ok. Yeah, rejuvenator is usually for pickup rollers that have dried up and started cracking. They no longer "stick" to the paper. Looks like you have the exact opposite problem. I assume you've already looked at rollers and pads from other printers and thought about just replacing them?
  4. pcamen

No, I haven't. That is for rubber that has hardened, no? When the roller pads go bad, they turn into goo and stick to everything. I don't think any type of rejuvenator would help with that.
  5. olePigeon

@pcamen @danda Have either of you tried Rubber Rejuvenator on the rollers?
  6. Today
  7. Dog Cow

SE/30 CMD-CTRL-POWER Reset

Sure. If the Power key can be detected by software, you can have a little routine call the _Debugger trap. The Motorola 680x0 has a RESET instruction which could be executed for Reset. It wouldn't be exactly the same as the physical switches though, because it's dependent on your little routine being able to run.
  8. NJRoadfan

68030 PDS: implimentation inconsistencies?

-5V is rarely used by expansion cards. The host's power supply might not have it available either.
  9. Trash80toHP_Mini

I figured +12V is on the LC Slot for the FDD on the end of the IIe card's cable, but it's OK on all cards tested anyway. Figured the VidCard thing for the adapter, but not passing it through on the Pivot seems very strange. No -5V passthru connection on any of the cards sticks out like a sore thumb to me.
  10. Recaptcha

Apple CD SC question

...To each his own I guess... I am amazed at this new software. My CD SC plays audio cd's great, and the CD remote desk accessory is so neat! So glad I bought this rare piece to add to my collection. Thanks everyone for your help!
  11. Mk.558

SE/30 RP12 replacement part, bourns filter

Digikey has them in stock. https://www.digikey.com/short/ppd2mf I could assume that if you measure 50 ohms across then you should be okay -- the original may not meet that exact spec because of resistance tolerances. 10% tolerance is a lot for a resistor, however.
  12. maceffects

3D Print MessagePad 2000 Battery Tray

@LadyErrant Thank you! That is the most important part, the battery contact wouldn't be hard to redesign.
  13. Mk.558

I'm curious if that Power button key thing can be used to perform reset and interrupt functions in substitution of the hardware reset and interrupt buttons? Those plastic hardware reset switch thingys are not that common, but also delicate.
  14. LadyErrant

3D Print MessagePad 2000 Battery Tray

Here is the battery tray, sorry I don't have anything for the contacts. aa_battery_tray_057e3b2.stl
  15. Is there a trick for removing the heatsink? Other than the one wire spring tension I don't see anything, but it won't come off. I tried gentle prying and nothing. Too paranoid to apply more force :[ I mean, those not-riveted pieces don't seem tight at so around the mounting holes on the heatsink itself, so unless it's the old paste just being stubborn. In that case I should definitely replace it. Maybe a contact cleaner or IPA soak? Oven? Gotcha. I was told the whole card itself produces quite a bit, but if that's not the case, I'll definitely put it up top. I thought about drilling some holes in the removable pci mount plate for the Comm2 Ethernet to help airflow right through the back. I had a 21x21 heatsink for the Rage128 that I removed to accommodate the 100BT card. I'll put it back on as well. Oddly, with the comm2 card back in some downloads were displaying over 100base speeds ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but at any rate my premium speed net will be disappearing end of month. Plua I couldn't get the farralon to work on 7.6.1 anyway. And while airflow is on the docket, I have been noticing a fatal flaw in my PSU modification/upgrade—the ruddy fan pulls and pushes out, like most power supplies, but in the specific Dell I pulled, it pulls from the TOP... But the case metal sits practically flush and that fan just doesnt run as fast as a case fan does. Top of the case right there gets warm, but not really hot. However I should probably mitigate that beforr it becomes a real issue...
  16. I'd keep it in the top slot unless you notice any quirks (unlikely) - the Crescendo will be making 95% of the heat, not the Pentium by any stretch and it's good to have some airflow around the G3. Just bought some VRAM for my PC compatibility card - housing it in a Blue and White G3.
  17. AlpineRaven

IIsi works, then doesn't

Sounds like the PSU has done it - its not a easy one to re-cap the PSU - also its a common issue. IIsi needs recapping anyway. Ive just recapped 2x IIsi's to 100% recapped, works really well. Cheers AP
  18. I also think mine was upgraded, or more likely was bought as the Plus model, as the manual I have for it is the "LaserWriter and LaserWriter Plus" one. (I've actually never seen a manual just for the original LW.) Taping rubber bands on did actually work for a bit, at least until the tape failed and they fell off! What I'll probably end up doing is taking the rollers out and properly gluing some new rubber onto them. The corona wire that's snapped on mine is actually the one on the printer, not the one in the cartridge. But as I mentioned, replacing it *should* be easy once I have the LW disassembled.
  19. I have a socketed 50MHz 68030 Daystar PowerCache accelerator in one of my SE/30's, which uses the Power Central control panel to enable caches. In the documentation it mentions that Enhanced Power Math can be enabled by holding down the OPTION & COMMAND keys while clicking the PowerMath switch in the control panel. I confirmed this works because that results in an underline beneath PowerMath. (Enhanced PowerMath makes FPU performance even better.) Being curious, I held down OPT & CMD while clicking the PowerCache switch in the same control panel. This is not documented in the manual. A little black dot appears in the bottom left corner when you do that, as marked by the arrow cursor in the following screenshot: My question is, what does that little black dot in the bottom left corner of the Power Central control panel signify? Thanks.
  20. Bolle

I wouldn't worry about those too much... Most cards they had in mind to be used on the passthrough probably didn't need those special voltages anyways. Only use of +12V that I have seen yet is on various ethernet transceivers built into the breakout board of NICs.
  21. Reading that number as "test performance" makes sense. Knowing how much a 68040 benefits from having cache installed is a clear indication that it completely saturates the bandwidth of the memory, there should be no effective difference between the access speeds of the two processors. The main reason I ran the test was to see if the PPC had slowed the bus down in order to time it's 100MHz clock, so I wanted to make sure the number wasn't lower. Do you know what the best way of testing RAM bandwidth is on 68k? Gauge Pro has a 'moving memory' test but only runs on PPC.
  22. If you are worried about heat, you can always put on fresh thermal paste for better heat dispersion, and even put a little strip of kapton tape to separate the board from the cache. Your project is making me want to dig out my PC PCI cards from storage to install in my 4400. Well if/when I ever find them that is!
  23. IMO - I think it should be fine - just keep eye on it for couple of days Cheers AP
  24. CC_333

Marathon Computer iRack DV

I want one of those iRacks, if only because it's novel! Any chance you'd be interested in selling one? c
  25. Gorgonops

Marathon Computer iRack DV

Maybe the 555s generate PWM pulses for the fans?
  26. JDW

@Von In other words, you are using an NPN transistor (and resistors) to make a simple investor, such that when the transistor is OFF the output is HI (i.e., Seasonic PSU disabled), and when the transistor is switched ON the output is GND (i.e., Seasonic PSU enabled).
  27. Makes sense. If I were a judge at the InterWebs Olympics, I'd give that article a 10. It is one of the best infonuggets I have come across.
  1. Load more activity