SE30_Neal

Is this Circuit board normal

Hi Guys,

i brought a used a/b analogue board/sony psu combo as a temporary replacement for my se/30’s whilst i recap and clear up my original items. The replacement board is from an SE which I believe is identical? Basically I’ve been experiencing some minor shimmers/flickering especially when cold (3-4 months now) so i thought it was about time to re-cap both my analogue board and psu as the motherboard had already been recapped some time ago, including a new battery. Question is psu board looks a little unusual, at first i though it was spilt liquid of leaking capacitors yet on inspection the caps all look great; no swelling, no residue, no corroded tracers. I used a q-tip to clean the edge and nothing came off. Its almost like varnish. Is this normal on the sony PSU?

neal

2A7341EB-087E-487A-B257-65884A941E71.jpeg

E9A0B873-02B8-4A42-A601-AF8741A12DEC.jpeg

Edited by SE30_Neal

Looks like Conformal coating. But at a quick glance, I see a couple joints that could be cold. Inspect for could joint and reflow with fresh solder first.

3 minutes ago, unity said:

Looks like Conformal coating. But at a quick glance, I see a couple joints that could be cold. Inspect for could joint and reflow with fresh solder first.

Thanks Unity. I thought it may have been a coating. Not so great that you can see some issues :/ I’ve never soldered before so this will be my first time when i re-cap. Replacing caps I’m fine with but Cold joints? Not sure what I’m looking for, which ones could you see?

thanks

neal

Do a small test - get IPA on cotton bud, and give it a small rub - if something comes off then you know something isn't right but if it doesn't then its the coating.
Cheers

AP

If you can solder caps you can reflow a cold joint. Just tap the iron to it to melt the solder and apply a little more fresh when you do. Takes 2 second. Look for joints that have cracks in them, usually circular around the component's leg. Start on where the connectors connect first.

Thanks Alpine, yes did that and nothing came off thankfully. So how do you tell whats a cold joint or not or should i just reflow every joint just encase? Like i said as a novice I’m not really sure what I’m look for but happy to try it.

cheers

Edited by SE30_Neal