Mc128k

Mac Plus Flyback Compatibility

Hi all

I have a mac plus that is making a "zzzz" noise and emits ozone. It's the flyback for sure.

What I have is a Macintosh Classic analog board with a quite good flyback that seems almost identical.

The marking in the Plus is: 157-0042B

Mac Classic: 157-0121

I'm about to desolder them both and test with a tool, but I wanted to ask here if there is a way to be absolutely sure that these two are the same thing (or if anybody already tried). I don't want to burn a card I just repaired.

Thank you all

Hmmm.... close the topic. I'll answer to myself. 

IT WORKS!

The flyback of the mac classic works on the Plus. Mind that there are multiple models of the classic and classic II, but this one is perfectly identical. No more whine noise.

If I am not mistaking, I think they are all technically interchangeable. In the compact mac lineup. I also think there was a few Wyse terminals that used the same flyback. 

Color systems are different. 

Edited by techknight

Sorry to necro yet again on a Compact Mac topic— I'm wondering: I have a compatible CRT from my parts Classic, I'm wondering if, even though the analog board itself isn't compatible, I should harvest the flyback off the Classic's AB to save for my SE/30.

Cosmetically, it appears to be in much better condition than the one currently on my SE/30 AB: no overly dark epoxy, no strange buildup/white stuff, or weak points on the metal bracket component. Figured since I've reacpped my AB I could harvest this one if it's compatible with apparently more life in it. I know cosmetic appearance isn't 1:1 to electronic functionality in all cases.

It looks like a Classic flyback worked for the original poster in a Plus.   The Plus and SE(/30) can use the same flybacks.

By the transitive property of flyback transformers, you should probably preserve that puppy.

Any discernible part numbers on the Classic AB's flyback?

I wish I could come upon a massive basket of these, unused, at some clearance sale, where the owner doesn't know what they are...

48 minutes ago, trag said:

Any discernible part numbers on the Classic AB's flyback?

I'll check it out tonight. I haven't discharged the classic yet and I'm loathe to with my alligator clip on a flathead screwdriver bodge tool… a buddy told me he's heard stories of flying molten metal…