Questions about SCSI2SD setup in Mac LC III

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LazarusNine

LazarusNine
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

To any of you with a SCSI2SD adapter:

I recently purchased and received a SCSI2SD, and it works wonderfully. However, I was compelled to use a modified Apple HD SC setup utility in order to install the system onto the micro SD card despite the fact that the SCSI2SD has the capability of emulating an official Apple hard drive, effectively overriding the need for the patched Apple HD SC setup utility. I could not figure out what values to enter into the SCSI2SD setup utility in order to emulate a supported Apple drive. What exact values am I meant to enter into the 'Vendor', 'Product ID', 'Revision' and 'Serial Number' sections? Do I include dashes in front of the vendor name? So rather than 'Apple', it would be '--apple'? I couldn't find a clear solution in the supporting documentation. Thanks for any assistance.

On a side note, I noticed in the image of the SCSI2SD on the website that the card is sitting on a plastic caddy within the metal casing of the computer. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to find something like that? At the moment, I'm using a piece of paper with some Blu-Tak - it's not ideal; it would be nice to be able to affix the board to something that keeps the bottom from touching the metal casing.

Cheers!

#2 dougg3

dougg3

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:14 PM

When I was first using the SCSI2SD, the config utility was a command line program that you ran with the "--apple" command line option to tell it to set the strings correctly for emulating an Apple drive. It looks like that option is now gone with the new GUI utility :-(

What that option did:

• Set the vendor to the string " SEAGATE" (yes, there is a single space in front of SEAGATE for a total of 8 characters)
  • Set the product ID to the string "          ST225N" (10 spaces in front for a total of 16 characters)
  • Set the revision to the string "1.0 " (with a space after, for a total of 4 characters)

There's also a special Apple Computer string that the drive knows how to respond with, but you don't need to configure it. So all this change does is make it appear as a Seagate drive that Apple HD SC Setup knows about (which is also needed).

Note that if you use the default formatting options, it will only create a 20 MB partition because Apple HD SC Setup's internal drive database thinks it's only a 20 MB drive. So you need to go into the partitioning options and tell it how to use the full space of the drive.

#3 LazarusNine

LazarusNine
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:49 PM

When I was first using the SCSI2SD, the config utility was a command line program that you ran with the "--apple" command line option to tell it to set the strings correctly for emulating an Apple drive. It looks like that option is now gone with the new GUI utility :(

What that option did:

• Set the vendor to the string " SEAGATE" (yes, there is a single space in front of SEAGATE for a total of 8 characters)
  • Set the product ID to the string "          ST225N" (10 spaces in front for a total of 16 characters)
  • Set the revision to the string "1.0 " (with a space after, for a total of 4 characters)

There's also a special Apple Computer string that the drive knows how to respond with, but you don't need to configure it. So all this change does is make it appear as a Seagate drive that Apple HD SC Setup knows about (which is also needed).

Note that if you use the default formatting options, it will only create a 20 MB partition because Apple HD SC Setup's internal drive database thinks it's only a 20 MB drive. So you need to go into the partitioning options and tell it how to use the full space of the drive.

That was extremely helpful, dougg3. Those kinds of specifics (i.e. spaces, etc.) provide the level of detail I needed to get things up and running. Obviously, since the drive is working fine now in its current state, I may leave it. That said, I might consider swapping in another SD card in at some stage to test out these new values. In any case, I'll definitely be keeping your response handy for future reference.

#4 feeef

feeef
  • LocationBordeaux, France

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:25 PM

On a side note, I noticed in the image of the SCSI2SD on the website that the card is sitting on a plastic caddy within the metal casing of the computer. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to find something like that? At the moment, I'm using a piece of paper with some Blu-Tak - it's not ideal; it would be nice to be able to affix the board to something that keeps the bottom from touching the metal casing.

This guy put the card in an anti-static bag from an old hard drive.

http://imgur.com/gallery/bVLBQ

LC III - 6100/60 - 9500/132 (G4 700) - Powerbook 17" 1.33 - Mac Pro 8 cores 2008

#5 LazarusNine

LazarusNine
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:05 PM

This guy put the card in an anti-static bag from an old hard drive.

http://imgur.com/gallery/bVLBQ

Now that is a solution.  :) Thanks for sharing!

When I've got some more time on my hands, I'm thinking about making a caddy or even a case for the SCSI2SD; I take inspiration from the cases Steve Chamberlin uses for his Floppy Emu. They're fantastic. I've even gone so far as to source a laser-cutting firm near the city I live.

Edited by LazarusNine, 24 February 2015 - 10:07 PM.

#6 NewPerfection

NewPerfection

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

Be careful using anti-static bags like that as they can cause shorts.  They are somewhat conductive.  That's what makes them anti-static :scrambled:

#7 olePigeon

olePigeon
  • 68LC040

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:42 PM

If you have access to a 3D printer, I made this:

SCSI2SD.png

Attached File  SCSI2SDBracket.zip   93.83KB   117 downloads

It works in an SE/30.  Don't know if it'll work in an LC III.

#8 Elfen

Elfen
  • LocationNYC, NY

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:09 AM

It should work for the SE, SE/30, Classic and Classic II. Nice design I must say.

But it wont work for the LC. If you can mod it from a HD Carrier from an LC, it will fit all the LC Pizza Box Series, Mac IIcx, IIci and IIsi. It might fit others too.

Amassed a collection of various Macs and PCs that friends are calling my place a Mac museum: 512Ke, Plus, SE/30, IIcx, IIci, Q950, Q800, Q8100, 7100, Biege G3, PB 5300ce,190, 190c, 150, 180, (4) Duo 210, Duo 230, (2) 250, 280, 280c, 2300c, (3) G3 Wallstreet, iBook G3 (Orange), (3) iBook G3 (White), (3) iBook G4, PB G4 (all 12in)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users