epooch

Web server for Macintosh 512K

I was able to get my Macintosh 512K web server running and on the internet for current RetroChallenge.  It is running System 2.0/Finder 1.1g  with 64K ROMs.  Here is a link to my web page with a link to the server.:

http://apple-crapple.blogspot.com/2015/01/mac-512k-on-internet.html

It is still running the default lwIP web page.

I am pretty close to getting it to run in 128K, but it is still a little too big. It runs easily in a virtual 256K Mac.

Let me know how well, or if, it works.

Edited by epooch

What a great achievement. I'm really flabbergasted!

I'm working now for 25 years with old Mac's and never have seen something like this before!

A web server on a 512K! This is what I see in the header:

Content-type: text/html

I have tried myself to achieve something with a web server. My best effort was a rebuild of the Pascal code for TCTExample to a kind of web server:

https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/21029-help-with-tcpexample-in-pascal/

But on a 512K.... GREAT! It means you get TCP/IP running on one of the smallest equiped Mac's. I'm looking forward to your effort on a 128K.

Could you share a disk image if possible? I would really love to try it!

I will read you blog about this all!

An other question. You talk about emulated 512K. What do you use for that? Basilisk II?

I am planning on getting a distribution ready this weekend. The server is currently running on a REAL original Macintosh0, upgraded to 512K RAM.  I have been doing some testing on Mini vMac with some modifications I adapted to support the mac serial ports (see my web site). I have been using that to test it on a virtual128K (which doesn't work yet) and a virtual (and nonexistant) 256K Mac (which does appear to work).

I will try to get a whole image together with the modified Mini vMac and a 400K disk with the program on it.   

Great! I'm really looking forward to test it. On my Linux box I have a null modem cable to a 512K Mac and I once did a SLIP connection on that. See:

http://macintosh.vanegten.com/?p=193

Never tried a PPP, but I guess that will be the trick to get to the 512K. I will read your web site how you setup the PPP connection in the first place.

I have the book PISM - Providing Internet Services on Macintosh (circa 1999), and I used run web service on classic Macs, and other services (Email, FTP, Gopher, Unix-like Talk Chat/IRC, and so on) for the community center computer room I a running then. Much of the software can run on a Mac 512K on System 6.04, though they could use a lower system but I never tried it on a lower system. Years later I also had the book Running MacHTTPD - which was a tiny version public domain version of Webstar 4.0. Throw in a few plug-ins, and it was "Kick Ass" on what one can do with an old Mac!

If it counts, I still run Webstar 5.0 on my old Duo 210 for experiments and cgi coding practice. It's been running that since 2002, and MacHTTPD since the late 1990s.

Edited by Elfen

That depends. I need to re-research what I have. There was a TCP stack for System 6 that as not MacTCP, using AppleTalk 2.0. AppleTalk 1.0 would not work with it as I remember, because the buffer sizes were too small and its bandwidth too slow.

I still have much of my original software and the two books.

Edited by Elfen

It runs System 2.0 / Finder 4.1 on an unmodified 512K. So on a 400k disk.

I started to test on a modified 512K ( 1024K on board) , but switched to my unmodified.

It runs really fine!

I have run it on lower finder/ system versions too. The calls are all for the original ROMs, nothing system specific. RAM is the only limitation right now.

OK! Put my 512K on the Internet now. You can see it on:

http://512k.macip.net

Had to do some ugly way with netcat to get it pass all of my routers.... but it works!

(only no image because it has a relative URL in it.... but that's a minor detail.)

The page is grabbed live from the Mac 512K... Will try to keep him online next 24 hours....

Hi Eric,

Could you send me a .sit of ElWhip 06??? I have no modern Mac... so .sit is more easy then tar.gz....

Thanks!! I will test it on my Mac 128K