General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 How did you get "into" Macs?
Author Topic  
Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2003 :  22:31:33
I have always named my macs. On my G4 I change the two hard drive names every once and a while. Right now they are: Enterprise NCC-1701-D and Enterprise NCC-1701-A. With the corrisponding icons of course. My 7100 is called Nubus Wonder Mac, my Color Classic is Canadian HD (got it from a Canadian), My 6100 is Pizza Box, 7600 is the classic "macintosh hd".

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Recently Rescued from Deep within Enemy Lines:
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2003 :  22:37:23
yeah...

PRAGMA- TiBook G4
InfoBOX - 7300
MediaBOX - 6500
siSTATION/siSERVE/siCLONE - IIsi (uses all 3 at different times)
Hamtaro - iMac *looks like a hamster
Flats - 6100 I had....
Useless - I'm SO SORRY I named a mac this... but I simply had NO use for a performa 600...
SEfdhd - LITTLElittle Mom wanted to call it this because sometimes I repeat words under(under) my breath because I like to say them or something...Little(little) is one of the ones that this happens alot too

AspireBE - Acer Aspire, BeOS
WhuzzerBE Gateway - Gateway computer whan it was my main

Intrikit Weaver - Any computer what is my "main server" currently is the Gateway Computer......

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2003 :  22:54:08
quote:

Hamtaro - iMac *looks like a hamster

LOL my 10 year old brother watchs that show!
It has to be the most annoying waste of television that I have ever laid my eyes upon.

Oh. No. Wait. Judge Dread was.

Recently Rescued from Deep within Enemy Lines:
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
or just 4Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2003 :  21:56:59
I can't really remember what the real first mac was I tried, but about when I was in grade 8 I sold my Pentium 200MMX machine for 300 dollars to the local PC store then went nextdoor to the mac store (owned by the same peopel) and bought a Centris 660Av. My first mac. I sold it some time ago, but since then I've had a few Macs.

So, since then even though from time to time I have been using PC's, I still have had macs around, although to be honest I find that in some respects you sorta need a PC around (iether emulated or real) in order to not lose all sanity when it comes to doing business because people always send you PC formats. Ie; if it's easy to do and requires less work during step 1, then it must be the best way to go even if it requires 10 steps in step 2 alone.

Most PC people have no idea the amount of intelligence that is lacking. They still use the 3 character extensions, something that is an abhorance. They still think sending documents in proprietory formats that no-one can open makes business sense, they think paying thousands of dollars extra per machine each year in support costs justifies thier investment.

Oh well, some people never learn.

Great minds...Great minds...Think Different.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2003 :  22:53:36
Aggreed, Citon X600.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  21:48:33
heh...

MS word is basically the standard format (among the other MS formats)

it's odd the amount of mac people who will pay $79 for software that generates an incompatible format, and then they'll shell out another $100 or so to make that compatible just my thoughts..

actually, I don't spend thousands to maintainmy PCs or anything... I can see how a business might trick themselfes into thinking tha they need to... except the're so tight-rear ended that they probably DO need to pay...

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  22:09:15
quote:

I can't really remember what the real first mac was I tried, but about when I was in grade 8 I sold my Pentium 200MMX machine for 300 dollars to the local PC store then went nextdoor to the mac store (owned by the same peopel) and bought a Centris 660Av. My first mac. I sold it some time ago, but since then I've had a few Macs.

So, since then even though from time to time I have been using PC's, I still have had macs around, although to be honest I find that in some respects you sorta need a PC around (iether emulated or real) in order to not lose all sanity when it comes to doing business because people always send you PC formats. Ie; if it's easy to do and requires less work during step 1, then it must be the best way to go even if it requires 10 steps in step 2 alone.

Most PC people have no idea the amount of intelligence that is lacking. They still use the 3 character extensions, something that is an abhorance. They still think sending documents in proprietory formats that no-one can open makes business sense, they think paying thousands of dollars extra per machine each year in support costs justifies thier investment.

Oh well, some people never learn.

Great minds...Great minds...Think Different.

when 90+% of people in the world use that proprietary format you might as well call it the standard format. Who pays 1000's extra per machine a year? Most companies of a small size just pay a company to come in and repair any machines that go down or to expand their network/storage. Most larger companies spend a few bucks for their in house IT department and would still have to spend it wether they used PC's, Macs, SGI, etc. They mostly repair crapped out pc's, run the servers, give out passwords, answer stupid questions from computer illiterates, etc.

3 character extensions are not a problem when you can save files with really long filenames. What does OSX use for filenames? I never liked how classic OS files would lose their forks and become useless on other systems.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2003 :  21:21:56
heh....

if I had a small busines, I'd maintain the PCs myself

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2003 :  02:29:20
I actually liked resource forks. I just thought they made sense to me. But it did piss me off when other OSes would lose them.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2003 :  23:12:16
heh... I never got what the resource forks "did"

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2003 :  06:09:52
They hold *stuff*, like sound, text and graphics.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

dunbar

USA
87 Posts
Posted - 26 Jun 2003 :  13:14:26
New employer was interested in being elite, owners son was a geek with too many beemers - the son wanted to be above the crowd of Windows 2.0 users, saw a Mac and proceeded to snap one up. I came into the picture when I changed employers. I was already IBM XT literate, but had never seen a GUI, and only heard of Windows in a very vague and limited measure. This was about '91, I think.
The new employer asked me to keep track of bills of materials for the electronic engineering projects which were active in the development lab where I was hired. Sure, no problem, but I could use a computer so as to run Lotus 1-2-3..... The reply was "All we have is a Macintosh Plus, will that work?". I had to ask around in the lab, some guys said yes, but only if it had > 1 meg of ram. So I replied "I believe that the Mac Plus can do the job, but I also understand that I'd need RAM". That is when owners son popped onto the line, and I had a 2.5 meg mac plus within 2 days.

After a brief intorduction to the System 6.0.2 / Multifinder GUI, there it was - the most useful computer I had ever operated!

Then the SCSI drive started sticking in the Mac II which the PC board designer was using... a different tech got a disk dirve to replace it, and I went from 10 meg SCSI in an external box to 40 meg SCSI sitting on the desktop..... you could only start the drive by rapping the case so as to shake the heads loose from the platters.... the classic Quantum sticition problem, but exchange was denied for the serial number of my drive. Then the upgrade to 4 megs, then several versions of system 6, then 7.0, then the 7.01 tune up.... sigh. Those were the days: drive to the local Apple retailer, make copies of the system disks, take the copies back to work and revel in the improvements!

Alas, that Mac fried its analog board, I got laid off, and the next employer was towing the M$ line.... I still yearned, though, and the collection grew.

Now, I r Slackware Linux on and AMD Athlon, but the collected Macs are still more useful than what I presently use under Linux.

snif - the good old days!

Mac+=4, MacSE=1, MacSE30=1, P400=1, PB520c=1, LCI=-1, LCII=-1, Q605=-1, Q650=1, UberQ950=1, Performa All-in-One=TBD PM7500=SQRT(-1).

Edited by - dunbar on 26 Jun 2003 13:16:20Go to Top of Page

jjjarmon
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  02:43:54
Hi everyone ! This is my first post here.I got into computers around the mid 1970's working on electronic projects and owning A HP-67 Programmable calculator in later 1975(Later I had a HP41c).I used to program in Fortran 4 on those antiquated punch cards on mainframes.In the 1980's I had a couple of home computers a timex sinclair 2068 and later a Commodore Amiga.A friend of mine got me into PC's but he had a loathing of Apple Macintoshes whereas I fell in love with them.Well anyway I own around 35 PC's and built many to sell for some good pocket change.My brother gave me a Power Computing Power tower 180 Macintosh clone a couple of years ago and I just loved it.I remember the wonderous,rich and inventive history about Apple computer though.I especially love GUI history(Vannevar Bush,Douglas Englebart,Xerox Parc, later the LISA and Macintosh etc.)In fact I love collecting all the older compact macs.
I found 2 of the Original Macintoshes (serial# 2336 and 5132 on the logic board (both sold in Jan 1984!)) in a thrift store and repaired both of them(power transistor burnout on the analog boards of both of them,and I had to disassemble a SONY 400k drive and got it working.I even found the audio tour tape and a plastic case that held the tape and software.Later I obtained some external 400k drives and 2 imagewriter 1 printers for the first macintosh model computers.I also found 2 Mac512's,2 Mac Pluses,3 Mac SE's,
1 Mac SE30,1 Mac Classic,1 Mac Classic 2 and own a couple of later Macs such as the Performa 638CD and 636CD model as well as a Power Macintosh 6500/250.I also have 3 Apple 2 E's and 1 Apple 2C(my Uncles) and 1 Apple 2 GS. I've never bought a NEW Macintosh but I am saving money up for one.I sure wish that I could get ahold of a LISA preferable a LISA 2 however I am happy that I found 2 of the first Macintoshes and saved them from the garbage dump.Where I live thift stores have just discontinued accepting donations of any computer that has a built in monitor or any computer monitor because they have to pay $15 to dispose of them as hazardous waste.How sad because most people will now FOR SURE put them in their trash bins and computer collectors will not be able to rescue a lot of these antiques.At least there is a swap meet up here in my city though.I didn't even know that the MLA existed.I HAD to join because THIS IS THE COOLEST FORUM EVER! I always believed in saving older collector computers especially from Apple.

Original Macintosh ownerGo to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  08:01:13
Well as for me, My uncle had this Mac Classic for as long as I can remember. I always liked going over to his ouse and using it because it had a GUI and I was all impressed with it at the time, because back then we had a DOS computer at home. Then I got a dual-floppy Macintosh SE from a garage sale, it came with some simple small games on a single 800k floppy. Then another 2 diskettes, one with applications such as macwrite and Microsoft excel, and another diskette dedicated to being a startup diskette. Plus i got the manual and warranty papers, plus all the original floppies, minus hypercard.... Anyway, that little SE is what got me started. lol. I still have all the stuff mentioned above, and it all still works perfectly.

dave1212

Canada
65 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  19:22:33
When I was 4, my Dad brought an Apple II home. After that, a 128k, a 512k, and so on after that. Guess it's in my blood.
:D

Liberated 68xxx Macs: IIsi, IIci (2), LC II, Classic II (2)

Liberated PowerPC Macs:
Powerbook 5300cs, Power Mac 7500/100

Other:
Color StyleWriter 2400, AppleCD 150 (cd-caddy type!), Apple 12" Monochrome Display, Apple Color Display (13")Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  13:57:59
What got me into Macs.

I don't count the time spent with a IIe back in grade school

Back in 2000 a friend of mine was about to begin work on her dissertation. She had no comptuer at home and would have to wait for the Grad Student Lounge to open so that she could begin working on one of the macs up there ... if all 3 of them weren't taken.

I had just landed my current job. I had some extra money. I gave myself a $250 budget to see what kind of mac I could buy for her. It had to be a laptop and it had to have a floppy so she could take work between school and home.

I started researching macs. I discovered LEM.

I bought her a PB 540c.

I played with it to make sure it worked. It was kind of fun.

I saved my money and bought myself a PB133 with OS 8.1 on it. It saved my bacon when my PC went down due to a motherboard failure. (PB 133 since adopted to loving home)

I didn't much care for classic OS, but I enjoyed learning a new OS and OS X intrigued me. Got a 7600 dirt cheap and played with 8.1 and used it as a back up comptuer. ("Phoenix" since adopted to a loving home.)

Played with OS X when I finally found a computer that booted into it at a comp USA, saw how much it completly rocked, got an iBook for Xmas 2001.

68K's liberated: 4
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  14:12:52
cool... I'm discovering the fun-ness of OSX just lately... before it was all either windows, or MacOS

I especially enjoy running X.1 server (still trying to make it kinda work) on the 7300

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  21:23:47
It all started when I had to type stuff for school in like the fifth or sixth grade. My parents would take me to the library and I'd use the LC III with MacWrite and loved it. Before that, I'd just used the Apple //e playing number munchers and whatnot, so it was a real step up. A friend of mine at the time had a Packard Bell that he'd let me play with DOS on a little bit. All the stores in the area had exclusively PC except for one and people always screwed the macs up, so I was basically using only Windows 3.1.

Then my friend got an IBM PCjr and I learned DOS ins and outs on that.

When the time came for me to get a new computer, I was torn between a PC and a Mac, but I had spent many hours playing with the Tandys at RadioShack, so I ended up getting one of those.

I ended up associating with a bunch of people who somehow all hated Macs, even though they had all used them. The high school I went to was all Mac, but the computer maintenance program through the local vocational center tought PC maintenance because by that time, PC had acquired the majority of the market. I ended up being with all the people who hated Macs and cursed them along with them so I would fit in.

So anyway, I had acquired the habit of going around on garbage night to see what goodies might have been left for me, and one night, there it was, a Performa 631CD w/Multiple Scan 14/kb/mouse. Unfortuantely, the cat found it before I did and left his mark. I washed it out thoroughly with soap and water, reassembled it, and it worked! All those memories of the LC III in the library started flooding back. I quickly lost interest, though, and it sat for a while.

Then one day at the local thrift store my eyes met a 5200CD. I thought, "now there's a great computer" and brought it home. I did some Googleing on the Internet to find system software and how to transfer it from a PC and found Gamba's home page, and eventually came here. The 5200CD wasn't all I though it was, but it started turning into a real hobby. Then I found an $8 Performa 6400 at the thrift store and that got me even more interested. I soon realized the limitations of this machine and thought it was time to get a "real Mac". So, I eBayed for a 7600 which turned out to have a 233MHz processor in it. By that time I was up to OS 8.6 and realized that it wouldn't run OSX very well. So I pieced together a Beige G3 233 and that brings us up to the present.

I still haven't "switched". I still use the PC more, I guess because it's newer and has an internal 56k modem. Oh yeah - it's got the 19" monitor. That's why I use it more. None of the Macs have a decent enough video to run it at 1280x1024. That and I guess I'm just stubborn, plus I've had bad experiences with OS9. To top it all off, I have way more software for PC. I guess I'm still torn between Mac and PC like I was from way back when. Some things never change.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

geekwurkz

USA
156 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  18:44:05
What got me into macs...
In 2nd grade I was introduced to the amazing world of LCs in my school's computer lab. They were totally locked down so all I could do is use KidPix and TeachText... That was mostly unrelated, until I got my PB 140 in y2k. My uncle gave it to me as a christmas present after digging it out of a dumpster at Nova University. Since then, I have accumulated 7 more Macs.

Nick

-------------------------
Llama-X Dev Team
·····Liberations·····
·A2:2
·68k: 7
·Contraband(PPC):1
·They-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named(x86): 7
·Other Systems:2Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  20:50:45
Oh yeah. As for the names, my main computer has always been named cliebob, although it's been different systems over the years.

The others:
Cr@p1nt0$h - Performa 5200CD
Rootie - 486 running Red Hat Linux v6.2
charmod - Celery 1.0 laptop
tank - PC with a full height hard drive that was built like a tank
zrvr - Novell 3.12 server, also a W2k server

As for the rest, I'll just name them after whatever case they're in, like gateway2000 or performa6400. Not very creative, I know, but it cuts down on a lot of the confusion. Some of them I just named Workstation to save the brain power required to come up with a creative name.Go to Top of Page

geekwurkz

USA
156 Posts
Posted - 03 Aug 2003 :  00:50:38
Oh, yeah... my Macs are named...

Powerbook 140 - "Bean"
Mac IIsi - "Petra"
Centris 650 - "Peter"
Centris 610 - "Locke"
Mac Classic - "Valentine"
Mac Plus - "Demosthenes"
Performa 6200 - "Ender"
My PC/server is called, "Card"
And my poor, dead, 128k doesn't have a name yet. I'm considering another name from the series though, once I revive her.

It's not just a game anymore!

Nick

EDIT: And my other unnamed systems...
Apple IIgs ROM 01
Apple IIgs ROM 03
Commodore Plus/4
Atari 2600
Various PCs

-------------------------
Llama-X Dev Team
·····Liberations·····
·A2:2
·68k: 7
·Contraband(PPC):1
·They-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named(x86): 7
·Other Systems:2

Edited by - geekwurkz on 03 Aug 2003 01:02:58Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  17:21:28
OK I was gonna post mine here and got a bit carried away. I now have a 2000 and odd word RTF on my iMac detialing my passage from using a BBC Micro in 1985 to the iMac than nestles on my desk now. Posting it all here wuld be unfair, I'll up it on my .Mac account sometime and let you read it there :).

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA, LC Quartermaster
Holder of the Crowbar of Persistant Crate Opening
"Never send a human to do a machine's job" - The MatrixGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  17:27:19
Welcome back, SVP!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

lightsurfer
Starting Member

Germany
18 Posts
Posted - 15 Aug 2003 :  14:58:31
Hi,

I always dreamed of having an 840av.

In the early 90´s I had an C64 (he is still at my home of course).

Then cameout these dreammachines as NeXT and the 840av. But these are not the size of my moneybag and so I bought an atari falcon, also a really cool machine! And still at home....

Then come years of PC crap-hardware-war´s, but someday I renewed my old dream.

Now-a-days these computers are not much expansive and so I got an 840av. Now I spend most of my time the 840av as the falcon too.

private lightsurfer, at your command!

I dont like signaturesGo to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2003 :  16:49:40
The first Mac I used was our SE/30 [my dad tells me he bought it brand new] Ah… the countless hours playing with after dark, Spectre 1.0 [always dreaming of getting VR…]
with the SE/30 we had a 19" monitor and a 128mb HD
That, was of course my Dad's computer [we kids got to play with the 512ke upgraded to Plus, if Dad was buisy using the SE/30]
the SE/30 also gave us our first web experience… AOL 2.5 [it didnt seem that bad since most people I knew didnt have internet at all; this was back in 1992 or something]
Oh, My dad also ran a store back then [during the summer I could go and earn 1 or 2$ a day! lol]; but there, he had a 6100, a Plus, and at that time the most amazing computer I'd ever seen [and played with], the 8500/120! [UMAX Scanner, GCC Lazer printer, SyQuest EZ Flyer, 19" monitor… man it was so cool; later he also got a G3 card for it, and recently sold it to my cousin (Who destroyed the Built in monitor port!!!; luckly it also had a video card)]
Also, just before we got the SuperMac [see below], I learned how to use FileMaker Pro 4 ^_^

Then in about 1996-7 or so; we got our SuperMac C600/180… [I was a little mad at my dad for buying while I was a few hundred miles away, visiting some cousins…]
That was our main computer, even after dad brought the 8500 home [the store failed stupid national company moving in, and bad economy…] he also used the 6100 from his store [he had gotten a G3 card for it] as a bribe for me to get some school work done ^_^'
[also in there somewhere, I got a Quadra 660av, 5260, IIsi, IIci, all for free since my school was moving up to iMacs ^_^ and when we moved into this house I found an LC III with a 14" monitor just sitting in the garage! ^_^]
FF>> Dad gets New iMac, sells 8500 [to my cousin, like I said], I buy 9500/G3/300 [Still using this thing ^_^ right now], I get the UMAX scanner that was the 8500's, and they EZ Flyer [Why? Why did SyQuest have to die? …]; later I got my 5300ce, and near the end of 10th grade [last school year], I learned of the Government surplus store! [computers/office equip by the pallet!]
and I got a Performa 6214CD, Quadra 950 Lazer writer 310 [still cant make it work…], 2x 7100/80's, another 5260, a 5400/120, A NeXT monitor [still cant use], 7100/80av, a bunch of PC monitors [15"-17", and one 19" that I didnt have a cable for]
also somewhere in there I got my SuperMac C600/240 [40GB HD!! ^_^; this computer is on 24/7 as my server/download computer]

The other day I sold the LC III, with a 12" monitor, Apple Extended Keyboard II, and mouse to Mike_Blast_dude ^_^ [It's good that it will get more use now]
oh, and I sold one of the 5260's at a PMUG swap meet [and got a Portable for free!]

Computer names… well I really don't use them much…
but:
•9500: Derekcat 9500 [the HDs are named Ext. Drive 1, APS 3GB, Drive 2, and Derek's (all the HDs are external except for Drive 2/Derek's which are a single Segate internal); all the HDs are low speed :/]
•SuperMac C600/240: Super Derekcat C600 [Im listing the names, by what they are in filesharing]; and the HD is also Derekcat Super C600
•The Rest of em: are pretty much Derekcat xxxx [model, ex 9500]

I always felt like it would be kinda wrong to name all the computers differntly… [except my 9500's HDs since it has more then one]

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

stimpee
Starting Member

Netherlands
10 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  14:49:58
hmmm lemme see thats a long time ago...

my Dad's workplace got a couple of Mac II's in 1987 and I remember going round there every so often to meet him after work (He's a desktop publisher/printer since before I was born).

I remember thinking that these were REALLY cool computers at the time (at home we had an Atari 800XL and a BBC Micro Model B at the time, though later that year we got an Amiga 500 which was also cool :P).

But it wasnt until late 1990 when we got a IIsi that I started to use one regularly. I remember that my dad got a 50mhz 030 accelerator and put 17mb in there running System 7.11. It was in that configuration for years until I brought home an unwanted IIci for him a few years back and he moved all the stuff over.

Funny story about that is that in the late 90s, I managed to find him a Daystar 601 card for the IIsi from the net but it wouldnt fit inside the IIsi with the two hard disks he'd wedged in there so he was just gonna start to hack the insides of the IIsi to pieces when I thought I'd better give him his Xmas present a week early :D... a IIci (abandoned at my then workplace) to put it all in!

Now the IIci and the IIsi are gathering dust unfortunately... Maybe I'll liberate them back if he doesnt sell them on ebay first! He's got a Beige G3/300/Tower running OS X 10.2.8. I think its the first time he's been uptodate with MacOS since he got the IIsi all those years ago.

Go to Top of Page

AusNick
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2003 :  04:39:28
How did I get into Macs?

I'm stuffed if I know, but Macs happened when I was in high school, we were still using Apple][s back then, and along came these two little boxes that looked like Vectrexes, with a weird little keyboard and a box with a button on it that moved a little arrow around a little screen, so you could click on little black and white pictures.

What a waste of time, the ][s were where it was at.

But you know, I figured I'd give 'em a chance, and now I collect the things, 44 and counting, if only I had the room to set 'em up…Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 Oct 2003 :  19:58:47
wow,do you have many of any certain kind?

I've always wanted to have a bunch of the same kind of mac

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

AusNick
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2003 :  08:04:48
G'day cory5412,

I have different configurations of the same model, like the SE, and I have duplicates of other models as a source of spare parts. I simply don't have the room to snap up every abandoned mac I see, and it breaks my heart to pass them by (really, it does), but some sacrifices you have to make.

Aside from expanding my collection, I'm keeping an eye out for any early tombstone models I can find, 512, Plus and so on, so I can work toward my goal…

…don't laugh too hard, I'm being serious…

…I want there to be a fully functional Mac Plus 100 years from now, or, a 100 year old Mac Plus, whichever is easier, and I want to attempt it, because I can, so I figure since the Plus was intoduced in '86, so I have 83 years or so to go, and while i won't be around to see it, I think there are like-minded people out there who'd take over, after they've pried the mouse out of my cold, dead hand :-)

Should I post my collection list?

Vintage Classic Macs:
2x Macintosh 512 (One was a Mac 128 at some point)
2x Macintosh 512e
1x Macintosh Plus - Platinum Case - My First Liberated Mac
3x Macintosh SE ((800K Version) Various Configurations)
1x Macintosh SE FDHD
2x Macintosh SE/30 (One with a Dead PSU)
= 11 Liberated Vintage Classics

Modern Classic Macs:
1x Macintosh Classic
1x Macintosh Classic II
= 2 Liberated Modern Classics

LC Series Macs:
1x Macintosh LC
1x Macintosh LCII (2 MB Version)
2x Macintosh LCII (4 MB Version) - My First Mac - (1 Dead Motherboard)
1x Macintosh LCIII
2x Macintosh LC 475
= 7 Liberated LC's

Macintosh II Series Macs:
1x Macintosh II
1x Macintosh IIx
1x Macintosh IIsi
1x Macintosh IIcx (No PSU)
2x Macintosh IIci (Permanently retired) - My Second Mac

1x Macintosh IIvx
1x Macintosh IIfx
= 8 Liberated Mac II's

Performa Series Macs:
1x Macintosh Performa 250 - Running an Apple IIe card (flaky video)
1x Macintosh Performa 580CD - My Alarm Clock
1x Macontosh Performa 5260 (Video Startup problems)
= 3 Liberated Performas (1 Contraband PPC)

Powerbook Series Macs:
1x Powerbook 100
1x Powerbook 170
1x Powerbook 180c
1x Powerbook Duo 270c
1x Powerbook Duo 2300 (Upgraded from a 230) - (Dodgy keyboard)
1x Powerbook 1400cs/117
= 6 Liberated Powerbooks (1.5 Contraband PPCs)

Power Macintosh Series:
1x Power Macintosh 6100/60 (Dead PSU)
1x Power Macintosh 6100/66
1x Power Macintosh 7200/90 - My Third Mac
1x Power Macintosh 5400/120 - My MP3 Jukebox
1x Power Macintosh 5500/250 (Black)
1x Power Macintosh 8100/100
1x Power Macintosh G4/400 (PCI Graphics) - My Fourth (current) Mac
= 6 Liberated Contraband PPCs

No Newtons, Centrises, or Quadras as yet.

The Performa580 I rescued from the rain, it wasn't too wet, but very dead, blown fuse and dead hard drive, replaced both and it hasnt missed a beat since, I've almost maxed it out as far as upgrades go, too: PDS Ethernet, Commslot MODEM, Video input card, and I have an external Video connector, but it seems to be slightly too short to be installed, and I don't want to force it in case I break a connection on the ribbon cable, mundane specs are 610 Mb Hard drive and 16Mb RAM, and as mentioned above, I use it as an alarm clock. Then there's the 5400 I use as an MP3 Jukebox…

AusNickGo to Top of Page

MacTO

Canada
60 Posts
Posted - 24 Oct 2003 :  21:35:47
quote:

What a waste of time, the ][s were where it was at.

I know what you mean. I had a 386 at home, there were several compact Macs and an LC in the library (and a couple of classrooms), but I was always drawn into the Apple II. Man, I spent a lot of time programming in BASIC. If I put BASIC on their resume today, I would be laughed down ...

All people want are C and FORTRAN. Well, if you're looking for work programming supercomputers that is.

Go to Top of Page

AusNick
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 25 Oct 2003 :  08:02:50
G'day MacTO,

I miss those days BASIC used to be so much fun. And the Apple ]['s were great machines for home-brewing hardware. I built up a little circuit to take the sound output from the .25W speaker and split it to be fed into a stereo, coupled with the RF modulator I had to handle the video output, Games took on a whole new dimension, and it earned me coolness points in high school.

And they were impossible to crash unless there was dodgy code in whatever software you were using.

And good machines to play pranks on. Much fun could be had one the twenty or so machines with a FOR/NEXT loop and CTRL-G.

I've got a IIe card in a little Performa 250, but it's not the same.

AusNickGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 Oct 2003 :  17:10:23
Whoa AusNick, nice collection!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

AusNick
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 26 Oct 2003 :  07:25:14
G'day maclover5,

You know, I held off signing up here for quite a while, I wasn't sure I'd pass the physical.

Seriously though, it's not a bad little collection I've got, most of the machines work, and it's fun. With luck I will soon be getting my hands on a IIvi, which will give me a full set of Mac IIs.

Now here's a thing, I'm trying to find, and am in the process of compiling a list of my collection by Gestalt ID, and I saw that ID 210 is listed as being a Macintosh IIvm, I've never heard of it.

Just when i thought I'd have the whole set, too…

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Oct 2003 :  07:48:19
Yeah, I have always wanted an Apple II as well.

One thing Ive wanted to do with an Apple IIc is to run my country from it, and then take it to friends' houses and "yeah" because of it's portability, and TVusing nature.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

AusNick
Starting Member

Australia
14 Posts
Posted - 26 Oct 2003 :  08:23:00
Great little machines, the IIc's.

Mind you I did something stupid several years ago and sold a IIc to an ex-mate who wanted one. The thing was, it was the revision of the IIc that had the RAM expansion slot. I've never been able to find another one. I should go and beg it back, or see if he still has it at least.

I've seen an interesting add-on for the IIc as well, a few years back though, a Cdrive, removing the floppy drive, with this add-on board, you can fill it with a SCSI hard drive, very cool despite looking a little ugly, because there was no cover or bezel to fill the hole in the case. I know the owner of the machine, so when I see him next, I'll ask if he's still got it.

Oh, and regarding my mention of the Macintosh IIvm above, I went a-googling it and it turns out it's the codename for the Performa 600, whew, what a relief.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Oct 2003 :  09:08:24
hehe, My options were a huge IIe, a IIgs (preferrable option, I wanted maybe to add a hdd, and tv/adb/sound be good things)

I thought that the IIc+ would be best, with composite video out, built in PSU, and I could just leave everything I'd need for the country on any given day on a single disc.

Then the SE fdhd came, and we were going to use that. and there was plans to implement a Performa 600, with keyboard/mouse/monitor sets at each of our homes.

Then I moved

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Alcina
Starting Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts
Posted - 26 Oct 2003 :  10:16:33
Geeze...I've come home! :) There's people like me out there! I love you guys! Ahem...to the question in hand...

I got into macs in 1994 when my office went from 386/486 running DOS and Win 3.11 to LC475s. At the same time we got networked and so the whole internet was suddenly mine! I used to run a website off a Performa 630. I've never looked back (other than in the retro-computing sense!). I still have a soft spot for the 475 running 7.1. First machine I purchased myself was a 6100/66 - very delicate machine until it got upgraded to 8.1 then steady as a rock and still going strong. I also have a weakness for 6100s. My current machine is a Pismo (also a very delicate machine until 9.1) and a Beige G3 (rock solid!) - though I also have a Plus, SE, SE/30, Classic, Classic II, Color Classic, Powerbook 520, Powerbook 5300cs, Wallstreet and a Bondi Blue iMac. I've also got a small collection of Sun SPARCs, which all have a similar 'character' to them as the macs do.

Interesting sub-thread about the naming of machines! All of mine are named after cartoon characters: Garfield, Jon, Odie, Bender, Leela, Farnsworth, Fry, Cartman, Kyle, Celia, Wazowski, Stewie, Mushu, Sid - all with coresponding icons of course! Try doing that with c:\!

As with others on this thread, I support Windows machines at work because I have to, but to me the Wintel boxes are largely characterless - I guess that's the downside of an open architecture.

Alcina
=8-)

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Oct 2003 :  14:52:51
ahh, Futurama and Family Guy and Garfield

There's a whole lot of discussion everywhere about X86 and macs and different kinds of "boxes" and "computers" having personalities, or being nothing-ness and stuff like that.

Personally, I believe that if you use it, it can develop a personality for you. For example, I've had several PCs that have developed certain ways of reacting to things, and sometime seem very personality-ful.

It's hard, I'm sure to see this side of an X86 based computer, especially if you work hard every day at maintaining 100s of them that other people use, and other people spend their days borking.

If it was you who used just one or three X86' of your own, it would probably seem just as nice as any other kind of computer.

That's my take on that anyway.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  03:41:14
It was like around 6 years old when my love for computers begin, I remember begging my mother to buy me a green screen PC at a swapmeet that just blinked cause I wanted to play with it. But it was around the summer of 4th grade when I meet a man who would change my life forever! Linn Davis! Linn was raised on Macintosh and I quickly learned much about them. His dad owned a Quadra 610 and he had a Mac SE Superdrive. We would play all the classics on the SE and I would come over to do my homework. We would sometimes be granted with the time to play on the Q610 which was amazing! COLOR! I learned much from him and took that into battle *converting* users. I didn't own one until I was in the 8th grade. In 7th grade I had grew so mad I didn't have one that I turned on them, I turned into that dumb PC user who can't win the Mac vs. PC debate. But when I got one I made up for the time I had spent bad mouthing them. I turned many people and it was great. I later just got more, more, and more! Then recently I have started to stop getting them, even at free. I am moving out in a few months and cannot take all of them with me.

Well enough blabbing but my super liberal friend Linn and his super liberal family open my eyes to the Macintosh. I had used them WAY before but didn't really know much about the difference between a Mac and PC, atleast as a kid.

Jeremy

"From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs." - Karl Marx

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:26Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.