A/UX n Quadras n stuff
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  12:57:20
quote:

Does anyone else think that the forums need an A/UX and Linux forum?

yup!

back again: i've been referring people at fritter to this thread, with a forum we'd be one up on them. is there one anywhere else yet? a 68k alternative to office would be a great group project. has anyone gotten star office, corel's stuff or the unix photoshop alternative up and running on 68k?

jt

=8-}

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 24 Mar 2002 19:32:00Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  12:58:51
quote:

I would like to see one...but wouldn't that fall under 68k Software?

------------------
MacMoose
Medical Spec., 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 9 and counting
------------------
Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  13:11:20
I don;t think it'd fall under Software...

It's me beleif that the more we can tailor specific areas to a specific idea, the better those ideas will be presented, and thus be more helpful.

Do you want to be talking about installing a new version of GCC in A/UX and hand configureing the Xfree86 make file, and the advantages of PageMaker 5 vs Publish It Easy! in the same forum?

~Marchie
He who votes to have a Unix/Linux on 68k Mac forum

ps: DANA! Can I ask you to be a co-mod?

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  13:18:35
quote:

I would like to see one...but wouldn't that fall under 68k Software?

it's more of a 68k alternate lifestyle with its own apps, i would think.

it would be nice to have CD-ROM images set up to boot just about any supported mac with a full suite of open platform apps ready to rock and roll! more people would donate or pass on our beloved 68k's if such resources were available. there's a kid over on fritter trying to get a load of macs up and running at a non-profit. this wouldn't work on those machines, but there are lots of people with no computers and no chance of getting online for lack of personal resources and knowhow that could benefit. it's not 68k/MAC OS pure, but it would be a worthwhile endeavor with a LOT of networking and cross linking opportunities for our site. the disk images would make great content would probably get mirrored and credited to us all over the world, which might get puters into even more hands. macs are uniquely suited to such a project thanks to the idiot in the black turtleneck's closed-ended vision of computing. it's a shame for all those macs to end up landfill when linux can make 'em emerge phoenix-like from the pyre of obsolescence and abandonment.

sorry for the soapbox bit, i got carried away just a little bit , for a change.

jt

=8-}

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 24 Mar 2002 19:35:02Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  13:29:20
jt, are you saying the the 68k MLA ought to have its very own distro of Linux? Or are you saying that we should just mirror 68k Linux distros?

I would volunteer to be the guy that burns images to CD for people without Broadband connections.

p.s. I have always thought of OS's as "soft" hardware anyhow. Maybe we do need this forum.

------------------
MacMoose
Medical Spec., 68k MLA
------------------
Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  13:34:21
Well... we COULD take the Debian distribution, modify the Xfree86 implementation with our own backgrounds, and distribute them.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  13:38:26
quote:

jt, are you saying the the 68k MLA ought to have its very own distro of Linux? Or are you saying that we should just mirror 68k Linux distros?

I would volunteer to be the guy that burns images to CD for people without Broadband connections.

p.s. I have always thought of OS's as "soft" hardware anyhow. Maybe we do need this forum.

it's more of a "the world needs a source for pre-installed full blown machine specific installations that anybody could plunk into a specific 68k with an apple CD installed or attached, that was tailor made for it with all the docs and a suite of apps and an installer script so they don't need to know ANYTHING to have a fully functional installation 1-2-3, kind of vision (delusion)" does that make sense?

jt

back again: maybe it would be clearer to describe it as an open source "performa" setup cd image project. the distribs and apps are all out there, but i'm discouraged by the setup process, the linux community doesn't comprehend the hurdles for non-tech types, which i am most certainly not, but people are usually most blind about the difficulties with which they are most familiar and cowed by those whith which they are unfamiliar. something as simple as a cd that could turn a 610 into an appletalk bridge/print server under the mac os, for example, would be enormously helpful to many groups with few resources in $, equipment and expertise.

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 24 Mar 2002 13:48:39Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  13:46:00
yes, it actually does. it would be great if we just pool the resources and do this.

------------------
MacMoose
Medical Spec., 68k MLA
------------------
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  13:52:37
quote:

yes, it actually does. it would be great if we just pool the resources and do this.

phew! could have saved the stress on my wrist from the clarification above.

i'm in, don't know much about linux except that i had a hard time with it and it wasn't worth the effort at the time. but i can usually see the difficulties that non-techs are having and explain the problem to techies if i try hard enough, can't explain to/teach the non-techies worth a **** tho.

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 24 Mar 2002 18:23:17Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  16:57:09
Count me in as well. Always wanted to be a linux geek...maybe now's my chance!

------------------
MacMoose
Medical Spec., 68k MLA
------------------
Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  18:06:29
quote:

yes! or perhaps a general "alternative OS" forum for 68k's. That'd contain Linux, A/UX and... um... whatever else pops up, I'm sure there's one or two others...

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  18:11:26
quote:

I don;t think it'd fall under Software...

It's me beleif that the more we can tailor specific areas to a specific idea, the better those ideas will be presented, and thus be more helpful.

Do you want to be talking about installing a new version of GCC in A/UX and hand configureing the Xfree86 make file, and the advantages of PageMaker 5 vs Publish It Easy! in the same forum?

I feel the same. there's hardware, there's software... and while an OS is technically just software, it's what should be the bind between generic software and the hardware itself - it's enough of a separate layer there to be treated separately.

quote:

OK!

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  18:21:14
quote:

quote:

OK!

dana

dang! that means next time i make off with the hooch from the o-club you can't come to the party!

jt

:-(

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  18:57:24
quote:

dang! that means next time i make off with the hooch from the o-club you can't come to the party!

Um... I could... join y'all for hot chocolate :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  19:15:16
Well, it seems like we have quite a show of support for this UNIX on 68k forum...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  19:44:52
quote:

difficulties with which they are most familiar and cowed by those whith which they are unfamiliar. something as simple as a cd that could turn a 610 into an appletalk bridge/print server under the mac os, for example, would be enormously helpful to many groups with few resources in $, equipment and expertise.

Absolutely. And people like us who're both tech types, and have some ability at explaining everything to the masses, could put our skills to use with good documentation. When I first installed linux on the Amiga (years back) the only documentation was -generic-... no amiga specific stuff, and I had to attempt conversions of all the processes into what the amiga needed. Thankfully the mac 68k guide is a little better now, but it's not quite where it could be.

Both a scripted/guided install on CD would be excellent... along with the ability to manual install for types who love finding-out-how-it-works as much as using the thing... and the documentation that'd help with it.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  20:00:58
quote:

quote:

Both a scripted/guided install on CD would be excellent... along with the ability to manual install for types who love finding-out-how-it-works as much as using the thing... and the documentation that'd help with it.

Absolutely. And people like us who're both tech types, and have

um . . . hate to mention this, but . . . . you're off topic!
please post in the proper forum if you don't mind!

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 24 Mar 2002 20:01:56Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  20:46:30
I go away for a few hours and look what transpires

<blissfully_*nix-ignorant>seriously though...sounds cool! (everything! )</blissfully_*nix-ignorant>

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

SuperMod

Canary Islands
66 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  18:08:29
*puts "A/UX n Quadras n Stuff" on the Thread Thrower 68000, climbs on himself, and pulls the release*

WWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

~MarchieGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Mar 2002 :  18:17:52
quote:

*puts "A/UX n Quadras n Stuff" on the Thread Thrower 68000, climbs on himself, and pulls the release*

WWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

cool! would that be the motorola rev of the trebuchet or the onager?

jt

http://www.cathares.org/dessin-trebuchet-1.gif
http://xlegio.enjoy.ru/artilery/onager.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.