Quadra / Centris
 More Quadra 840av Meatiness!
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  10:19:00
Atramentous is back in business! I finished downloading all the apps that I hadn't backed up yesterday. Now, if I can just get the external 8.6GB drive to like the ID selector switch, I can backup everything without having to take the main drive out of the Quadra and put it in my 7500 (or, worse yet, trying to backup over AppleTalk!!).

Also, today I should be receiving another Ultra-Wide drive, this time a Seagate ST32550W, which will become the main system drive. The Ultra-3 narrow is going to go in my 7500 instead, that way the Quadra's only 50-pin device will be, for now, it's 4x CD-ROM. I'm still considering getting an UW CD-ROM, but I'll have to wait until I can afford it!

On last thing...anybody have serial numbers for After Effects 3.1 and Streamline 4.0? I downloaded them from the RetroMac hotline server and accidentally deleted the downloads/installers and lost the numbers that came with them.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  09:57:09
Yess!!!!

I picked up the Seagate 2GB Ultra-Wide drive for $6 yesterday and my Quadra is now booting off it, which I've noticed is much faster than before (especially with FWB TurboBoot ). Not only that, but just poking around through folders in the Finder is much faster than it was, right about on par with my 7500, even with Kaleidoscope! I still haven't gotten the 9GB external drive to work, but hopefully over the weekend it'll come to life using one of the many spare SCSI ID selector switches I've cannibalized...

666th poster to the

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  10:00:09
quote:

I picked up the Seagate 2GB Ultra-Wide drive for $6 yesterday

Thats illegal too! wau!!!

congrats on the find though - what's next for the 840?

dana

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  10:21:35
There's really only three things left I want to do:

1 - Replace the breakout-box-less DigitalFilm card with either a Radius SpigotPro AV or a SuperMac SpigotPower AV card...I was watching one of either on eBay and forgot to bid on them...one ended at $20 and the other at $15.50! Arrrgh!

2 - Replace the 20MHz oscillator with a 24MHz one to over-clock it to 48MHz. I may also have to think up some new cooling techniques!

3 - Replace the Apple 4x CD-ROM with either a Plextor 32x Ultra-Wide CD-ROM or at least a 4x CD-RW.

Once all this done...well, really once the first thing is done, I'll be able to capture, edit, render and output video/audio from the Quadra without having to tie up my 7500, which has to be ready for surfing and such whenever my wife needs it .

The fact that it might take days to render a complete piece is not that big a problem, since it's not the main machine. Still, I would like to speed it up a wee, hence the oscillator upgrade. Also, it would be nice to have a burner in it, even if a slow one, so I could burn discs without, again, tying up the 7500.

In the future, once the 8GB disk array becomes too limited (as it can probably only fit about an hour of uncompressed video), I may swap the internal 4GB disks with 9GB or larger ones. But, alas, that's a money issue- and for now, an 8GB RAID is enough.

666th poster to the

Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 21 Feb 2002 10:23:06Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  11:22:25
quote:

In the future, once the 8GB disk array becomes too limited (as it can probably only fit about an hour of uncompressed video), I may swap the internal 4GB disks with 9GB or larger ones. But, alas, that's a money issue- and for now, an 8GB RAID is enough.

10bt+7500+ide=server filing for little $$$$$$.
add 6360 downgraded Q63X or cool 040 version server for not much more $$$$$$

jt

Edited by - alcoa on 21 Feb 2002 11:27:14Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  11:39:30
Well, the 7500 already has a 21GB drive in it for mass storage of finsihed work. And, keep in mind I need drives in an array to capture to, so they have to be 68-pin and fast! I'm thinking about selling the Pinnacle Bravado 1000 card in my 7500 (that I haven't even used yet), since my Quadra is turning out to be a better capture/output machine. Of course, I could take out the USB card and put an Ultra-Wide PCI card in it, but Pinnacle recommends only using the on-board SCSI because of conflicts with PCI-based hosts.

666th poster to the

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  11:51:21
quote:

Well, the 7500 already has a 21GB drive in it for mass storage of finsihed work. And, keep in mind I need drives in an array to capture to, so they have to be 68-pin and fast!

i was suggesting an inexpensive way to keep the space on your existing array free for capture/rendering/whatever of work in progress, the extra server would be to keep the 7500 from bogging down on transfers. if your net/wideband link slows down when you work, with the extra server you could isolate the two boxeson a crossover cable.

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  12:03:24
Ahhh, true, I didn't realize what you meant.

Hey this gives me a great idea, I could put a LC PDS ethernet card in my LC 475, along with a cheap, 18GB SCA-SCSI drive (like this one) and an 80-to-50-pin adapter. I could then hack 475 the mobo and 18GB drive into a new, even thinner case just big enough to slide right into that space next to the Quadra 840av! Wow, I never would have thought of that...thanks JT!

666th poster to the

Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 21 Feb 2002 12:07:24Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  12:22:55
quote:

Ahhh, true, I didn't realize what you meant.

not sure i did either, was mostly intuition.
quote:

Hey this gives me a great idea, I could put a LC PDS ethernet card in my LC 475, along with a cheap, 18GB SCA-SCSI drive (like this one) and an 80-to-50-pin adapter. I could then hack 475 the mobo and 18GB drive into a new, even thinner case just big enough to slide right into that space next to the Quadra 840av! Wow, I never would have thought of that...thanks JT!

not sure how you translated the suggestion, musta read my mind about one i hadn't made yet. how about getting the cherry case on e-bay and a couple more to hack into a matched scsi tower for next to the 840av? kind of a siamese-twin mid-tower config with a shielded low interconnect box or four round tubes and a racklike config for the cabling?

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  12:29:05
That's an idea, as well. Of course, I wouldn't really have anywhere to put the second 800/840/8100 case...and remeber...SAF! I just love how the LC 475, even in it's original case, would slide right in there, like a Duo into its dock. I'd have to put it in a different case, though, something very simple and boxy. I'm getting sick of these floppy holes that lead to nothing. Anybody got a space blank bezel for a 800/840/8100 case?

666th poster to the

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  13:04:19
quote:

1 - Replace the breakout-box-less DigitalFilm card with either a Radius SpigotPro AV or a SuperMac SpigotPower AV card...I was watching one of either on eBay and forgot to bid on them...one ended at $20 and the other at $15.50! Arrrgh!

ugh. I missed out on *2* 15" monitors in a row going for cheap prices - and not too far from here. I empathise...

quote:

2 - Replace the 20MHz oscillator with a 24MHz one to over-clock it to 48MHz. I may also have to think up some new cooling techniques!

when I did the 040/40Mhz/FPU in the Q630, I played a bit with sitting LC fans on top of the heatsink - given direct air on top of it, they dissippate a surprising amount of heats!. Could be all you need...

dana

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2002 :  14:11:51
quote:

That's an idea, as well. Of course, I wouldn't really have anywhere to put the second 800/840/8100 case...and remeber...SAF! I just love how the LC 475, even in it's original case, would slide right in there, like a Duo into its dock.

how would a 605 box bolted up to the side look a/o work on the 840's side? the four legs would make nice clean interface, have power and cooling available. you wouldn't even need a mobo and a long floppy cable would free up a bay and give you a couple or three more in the microq box.

jt2

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  09:10:51
Yesss!!! I just won two "finishing touches" for my 840av. The first is the elusive SuperMac SpigotPower AV, which came to just under $30 with shipping. The other, a Yamaha CDR100, the first 4x CD-R ever made, and also caddy-loaded so I can keep the caddy CD bezel on my Quadra! That one went a little high, $41 with shipping. However, it includes a SCSI PCI card for a PC which I don't need and can probably re-sell to make up a few of those dollars.

Yaaaay!!! Soon my Quadra will be capturing, editing and rendering video and burning CD's while I work on my 7500! Now, about that LC 475 server project...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.