All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Too Damn Buggy.
Author Topic  
wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  14:26:25
My use is sporadic, but friday night, Saturday afternoon, and Sunday afternoon. . .JET crashes. there have been some interesting offers put on the table. I think it is reasonable to do a test migration. I agree with q950:
quote:
There isnt anything to lose by trying a trial migration.

l

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  06:45:36
A few of us put on a lil' test a wee bit back, we called it the MLA v2.0, and I will be the first to say, for about the 50th time, that that was one of the worst weeks of my life.

Not only was that particular forum ill-planned, but it had bad timing, creating it probably went against all the values of at least 3 of those who started it, and killing it probably went against any values that may have been left.

It was a fantastic success, in only one way.

It attracted alot of attention.

Within 24 hours, I bet that 20 people signed up, and 17 of those 20 decided to 'stay active'

There were many problems though.

1) we tried to have multiple administrators
- WORST IDEA EVER.
- It meant that we were always running into eachother, always doing the same thing over, and always undoing what others' were doing.
- We could never decide what to do , and what not to do. So the person who considered himself "top dog" did everything without the permission of everyone else.
- that included watching over the forum like a hawk. He'd delete anything

2) it had bad timing
- There's nothing else to say, we were oging to wait for another form of hosting, but that kid I mentioned before? abaolutely insisted that we use his hosting.
- When I posted about it here, I probably lost the respect of a good... three people? (I may have gained it back, in the case of Stryder, but I've heard nothing on the matter from the others.)
- Bad timing, is bad timing,and for me, it was certainly bad timing, because that forum, in it's entirenity, took up nearly 25 hours of my day. Not all with the posting and the fighting/being assertive for what I thought was right, but just the thinking about it. I probably lost a good amount of sleep that week.

Generally, it was a great idea, executed badly. I think that any switch of the actual forum software that we use for the 68kMLA, isn't the best idea ever. I do, however think that changing the database engine, from JET to MySQL, would be a good idea. It might be as simple as upgrading our installation of Snitz, and then finding a new host for the database and moving the data there.

I'll say that again, because I think that it's VERY important to hear.

Solving our problems, MIGHT be as simple as upgrading our installation of Snitz, and then finding a new host for the database, and moving the data there.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

stimpee
Starting Member

Netherlands
10 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  14:29:24
JET to mySQL = good idea.

but am i the only one who finds it ironic that even a 68k mac forum is getting screwed by M$? :D

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  15:54:09
Nope, you're not.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  20:25:32
no, no, no. . .thats why these errors suck so much!!!!!!! way tooooooo ironic. . .and lets not start defining ironic. . .it just sucks!!

is there ANY reason to run a microsoft server?????? I don't think I have found a one, uinless you want to have problems. I admin ALL MICROSOFT SERVERS and I am at about the end of my damn rope. oh well. . .I am just waiting for them to blow, and then maybe we can get some nice linux stuff going, but then I guess I would not be a good admin. . .a guy can dream, can't he?

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.