All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Too Damn Buggy.
Author Topic  
Mike

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  18:48:57
Look. This place is too damn buggy. It's always down due to freaking Microcrap JETS Base errors or some such rubbish.

I'm offering to permanately host a replacement board. I've had paid hosting since 2001 and I have a lot of free space and bandwidth. I won't be unreliable, I pay the host bill. It's not on some crappy DSL, it's on an OC-3 on a good shared Linux server at AMHosting.net. The only downtime is due to crappy Pacific Bell problems unrelated to AMHosting.

I can host the board, I don't even have to be an admin if you don't want me too. But I'm tired of this place being down. Use whatever board software you want, YaBB (recommended), PHPBB, IkonBoard, Whatever you want.

http://www.silvernetwork.net

======================
Current Macs:
iMac G4/700 (main)
iBook G3/700 (portable)
PowerMac 7300/180 (server)
PowerMac 6100/66 (no monitor!)
Quadra 610 (no monitor!)
Performa 400, upgraded to 475 (busted monitor!)
Apple IIe (dead but I keep it)

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  19:46:57
SEARCH BUTTON

I'm sorry, but the posts about changing hosting comes up WAY too often, and no offense against you mike, or anyone, just the general populace, CHECK OLD THREADS FIRST!!!

We have discussed this HUNDREDS of times, and it is NOT going to happen. I know only a handful of people here dedicated enough to the MLA to keep it long term running, and very few, if any, have looked down the road as ~Coxy has.

It may not be perfect, but it will be here after everyone has their flamewars, squabbles, and other disruptive things.

Again, nothing against you Mike, just my general rant. No responses or flames needed.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  07:06:28
I have a folder full of notepad documents from posts I was going to submit, but was not able to because of the problems with this system. really frustrating, disheartning. . .all that. i know this is one thread in many about this. but seriously.
how much space/bandwidth does this system require?Go to Top of Page
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  11:00:51
I do realize that it is somewhat discouraging when the JETs crash, but think of how rewarding it is, when we have a spurt of good times, and someone knows the answer to your question, Cory's IW has progressed, someone's getting good frades, and in general, life is good.

I believe that Snitz Forums (whateverversion) is part of this forum's personality, and I personally wouldn't trade that part of the forums, of the community, of my life, for anything...

yes, the MLA is part of my life, part of my daily routine, part of the stuff that makes me "Cory Wiegersma - Computer Genius" I do realize that there are a hundred better hosting and forum packages, and for the most part, even "Crappy DSL" has the potential to be more reliable, but it's just not the same. In addition, I'm not sure if mike is a new user, or if he used to post under a different name... and either way, no offense, alot of what you've done, is borked out about our diomain name what with "taking action" and insulted the way the MLA currently works, and/or it's host and forum software.

If you want to host a forum, I'm sure that there's several kinds of things that there could be a forum about, for which you could host one....

If you don't like the MLA, because of our hosting, then I feel sorry for you, I think you should reevaluate what the liberation of older computers means to you, and I think you should take a good look at this forum, and compare it to the others.

The sense of community, and the quality content of what we post, is what keeps us all coming back for more, consistently.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  12:12:11
thats my point cory. I dig coming here. Even though I have never met any of you face to face, I like the personalities I see through the posts. it is also part of my daily routine. something I like doing. makes me smile. I like the forum system too! I just don't like when the site crashes. I feel silly making a deal out of it, but its nice when it works, makes me frustrated when its not. . . ,. . . . . . . .

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  14:28:56
speaking of unreliable crap, I got the hotline server back online after a power-outage related borkout. sorry if it caused any problems...

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  20:26:27
Wisof, I feel almost exactly the same way…

I really like coming here, as I've always like old Macs [and new Macs], and the people who post on here… but the regularity of the crashing JETs is very dishearting… I mean if we could place a single Quadra 950 on a pedistol attached to a dialup modem, I might be happier… if it would *always load* even if slow to the bleeding point, that could be nicer than not at all half the time…
What we need is 99.9% reliablity… not 64.3879258346% +/- 20.165462687…

once in a while I would be fine with… but every few weekends, and then some weekdays… it's sad…

I have no problem with Snitz… [unless it causes the JET failures]

quote:
The sense of community, and the quality content of what we post, is what keeps us all coming back for more, consistently.

but, to see the best [or at least one of the best] forums on the net, with so much downtime… it's more than "somewhat discouraging"; it makes me consider dumping it…
but, as you said, I keep coming back because I think that this is the best place to be, when it's up…

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 Oct 2003 :  22:08:21
Let me reiterate my position:

I have NO PROBLEMS with moving the board so long as you can guarantee me that 3 GB per month (at a minimum) of traffic will not be a problem, and that you can reliably host the forums as far as long-term outlook goes.

Exporting the posts out would be greatly preferable to the alternative, but not required.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  04:22:22
Yeah, I'm not saying you don't want them anywhere, but I know you, as well as several other members including myself would hate to have what happened the whole "MLA2" thing happen here. Losing any of the..."culture" almost of this forum is not worth a move, IMO.

I'm all for relability, but not at the cost of what we have here. If you really can prove that things wil workout and such, the please share.

~The Penguin

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  06:01:22
v2.0 was a complete disaster in communications.

When I told the people here about it, I phrased some things oddly, so people got the wrong idea about it, and it was completely overmoderated... the (well there were four or five adsmins) went completely wacko (except one or two of them) the entire four-five days of it's life, and it ended up in complete disaster.

One thing, was that the person who hosted it believed he was above everyone else in the administration team.

For another point, there was four or five administrators, the board was barely even 7 members big, and there were five admins, and everyone was a moderator....
(*BAD idea)

On another end, the host guy has this big deal about postcount;++(stupid MAF), so major admnistrative action had been taken, without the approval of everyone..

basically, we made nearly the perfect example of what it'd be nice if a forum wasn't....

So, enough with the rant about v2.0 (which doesn't deserve the holy name of MLA)

That's basically my thought on why the MLA is basically perfect now, (other than our problems with the JETs)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  07:21:23
I am sure this has come up in discussion before, but is there any way to zero in on the JET crashes? I am not all too familiar with that technology, but surely, with all of these computer heads around, we should be able to fix it?!?!?

Performa 630CD,Performa637CD,Centris 610,Quadra 630,Quadra 950,Quadra 605,SE,Giant 80mb SCSI HD,Giant 100mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  10:10:48
I believe it has something to do with when we overload the server.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  11:24:48
Microsoft Access is not a concurent load system. It's built on the old style of multi-tasking where it's really task sharing. So, the more people that log on, the more CPU it takes. Then it can't keep up and crashes.

Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  13:55:52
so is this a hardware issue in conjunction with whatever serves up this system. Is snitz particularly intensive, or is the hardware particularly slow? When the JETs crash, does ~Coxy, or another admin have to manually reset anything, or does everything eventually return to normal by itself? I have noticed that when the JETs crash, litclassics is still up. . .sometimes. Just asking questions.

I see a connundrum here that has probably been discussed and I am understanding how solutions are being worked on. Seems we have far exceeded the limitations of the hardware this sytem resides on. But, there is not much we can do, since this organization has no economic infrastructure to upgrade. cory, is the MLAgazine an effort to bring revenue into this? I've always liked the ideal of the MLAgazine. . .and as you already probably know, it could bring in some cash, if people like me ever do what we say we are going to do for it (by the way, my digicam is now gone to london, thus I cannot take pics of stuff I am working on. . .).

So we have this forum organization, how can we further it in order to create some sort of economic structure to support a forum/system update for the 68kMLA? Heavy question, so I do not expect brilliance. . .

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  14:51:49
if you are looking for some good hosting then this is really good

http://www.web-mania.com/

£23.50/year for 500mb space with 6gb/month transfers ... ive been using them for the past few months with no problems ... domains are £15/year or you can use an already registered one for free ... i would definately reccomend them

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  14:53:11
also there is a Snitz to phpBB converter so moving the posts over wouldnt be a problem

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  20:16:42
Personally, I'm not sure if I would remember to post here if we used phpBB, there are loads of different forums, phpBB is overused and somewhat Cliché...

I'm going to be running the new Genecomp.NET forums on InVisionBoard, or another of the many things I've on my hard drive somewhere....

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2003 :  22:28:10
I say stay with Snitch and just convert the database to something a little more non-archiac.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  10:23:07
I agree, Snitz can use MySQL...

(Cory's been becoming good at doing some stuff with MySQL on the IW..)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  08:14:39
Even though I don't post here often i'd like to say a few things, 1 a good idea would be to stay on forum softwares that do not have onvious flaws in them, the only ones that can come to mind are YABB SE (yabb gold has some obvious flaws) phpbb and snitz however since any place that we are likely to move this to will only have php and not asp, and yes 2.0 was a huge disaster, it was rushed, the origional plan was to host it on powweb when captain z got his hosting, however that is all I will say on the subject, thank you

dan

Well... We like to call it ÜberGather2k6/7Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  09:03:12
As long as the hosting service you moved to had the ability to run the ASP programming, all you'd have to do is copy over the files with the FTP and change the redirect to the new location. I think the software is fine the way it is and good for the majority of our Macs new or old to browse on.

On a side note, we're not the only ones on this host using the ASP forums and it could be the combined usage of us and Litature Classics itself overloading the system at those times.

Giving ~Coxy the reliable space and access to move these forums sounds good to me and I'd fully support it. It's an option that I feel is much better than restarting into a new structure that would change the hierarchy of this place. Everything here is great the way it is aside from that one defect, so that should be the target we seek to change and nothing else.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out. Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  18:14:53
well said stryder. . .one flaw. . .that is all. . .I can live with all the rest of the wonderfulness!Go to Top of Page
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  18:32:20
So can i, wisof.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  22:32:17
Ditto ^_^

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 08 Oct 2003 :  06:28:19
I would like to mention, that I basically said that in my first reply.

Other than that, I think it would be a good idea to just stay here (notice that it's basically been doing better lately?)

or if we moved, to move somewhere where we can still use this ASP forum, if ~Coxy can backup the database from in the forum software, or we can get a "to MySQL" converter or something...

I also believe that moving would be a great idea, IF we upgraded our installation of Snitz. The newer versions have alot of fantastic new features, and from what I understand it's not that hard to upgrade, if we wanted to do that here... (I would highly suggest it! (hint hint hint)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 08 Oct 2003 :  06:41:03
Yeah, but do the newer versions fix the crashing JETs?

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 08 Oct 2003 :  08:39:26
If the crashes are caused by too much traffic then the less traffic you get (people quit coming to a forum that crashes every day) the problem works itself out.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  10:04:28
From what I've seen, the problem works itself out every few weeks anyway. I've been here for more than a year, and the problems almost always do go away after a week or two. (and/or, at most, just a few weeks...)

like just lately, I haven't seen an ASP or JET error in over two weeks.

if the newer versions of snitz help us keep personality, fix teh JET errors, and still are having more features, than it's a win-win-win-win, situation

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  19:03:04
I'm a bit more curious now about those Jet errors. I'd be interested to know how many people could log onto my forums before forcing one to happen. I run with Snitz too, but have the up-to-date version. Not sure if that'd make a difference. Let's call it a test in quality control and whoever can, just click the link in my sig.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out. Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  22:09:51
This should help us find out what lies behind our JET errors:

From http://www.microsoft.com/AccessDev/Articles/QAJET30.HTM

Although it may be discussing an older version of Jet, I do not believe it would make any big difference in newer versions, Jet is the Poor man's database system for small use, not for a huge forum that sees as much users as we have. We have officially outgrown our database.

How many users can Jet support?

Theoretically, Microsoft Jet can support 255 simultaneous connections to one database. The practical limit to the number of users Jet can handle in multiuser applications depends on many factors. Applications whose primary task is to perform queries can handle more users than applications whose primary task is to update data. The network and file server also play an important role in calculating this limit. In a properly configured network setting, Jet can easily support 25-50 users in a transaction-orientated environment. Some multiuser applications function well with 80 users.

If your application grows out of Jet's range, you can upsize the data portion of your application to Microsoft SQL Server while maintaining your investment in the Microsoft Access front end. The Microsoft Access Upsizing Tools, available separately, make it easy for you to migrate your data.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  22:18:09
LMAO!

how convenient, that's about another grand that MS wants us to drop?

I forget exactly the stuff, but IIRC, Snitz can use a MySQL database, and if the forum software provides it, we might be able to backup our data, and upload them back to a MySQL backed server, while still maintaining our ASP/Snitz front end.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  22:36:47
To convert the data, we would use:

http://www.fonlow.com/zijianhuang/dbconverter/index.html

http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/pgadmin2/pgadmin2.php?ContentID=15

http://www.convert-in.com/acc2sql.htm

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/access2pgconverter/projdisplay.php

These are some options for moving data. It now just depends on how messed up Access stores the data if there are any incompatibilities between various formats.

(Some products above convert to PosteGrey SQL, which is the brother of MySQL)

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  23:27:04
I guess thats Mordor$oft for you.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Mike

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2003 :  06:56:00
Allright. I've read all your posts.

I've been coming here for a while, I mostly lurk (generally because I visit and get some damn JET errors and then don't visit again for about a month). No I didn't change my name.

That stuff about insulting MLA is way out of line. I don't know where you got that. The domaing being cybersquatted away from here, REALLY pissed me off. I tried to get it back and failed. I didn't "insult" the MLA so don't come up with rubbish like that unless you can back it up.

I can guarantee 3 GB of bandwidth and I can guarantee stability. I've had this hosting for over two years, I'm not moving anywhere. I host over a dozen other people too. I host two forums that get thousands of hits. I'm stable.

As for, if I host you, my being an admin, that is not required. If you don't want me to be an admin, fine. I'll leave you all alone. If you want me to be an admin, fine.

I'm still offering space if you want it.

======================
Current Macs:
iMac G4/700 (main)
iBook G3/700 (portable)
PowerMac 7300/180 (server)
PowerMac 6100/66 (no monitor!)
Quadra 610 (no monitor!)
Performa 400, upgraded to 475 (busted monitor!)
Apple IIe (dead but I keep it)Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2003 :  10:59:26
I believe though, that the thought is, that tBoJ knows how we can fix our problems. We basically need a MySQL server, and we can leave the pages here on LitClassics, and update our Snitz installation (I still think that we should update snitz anyway....)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

geekwurkz

USA
156 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2003 :  18:05:00
I don't know about you, but if someone offered me free hosting for one of my fourms I'd take it. I know that LitClassics is part of the traditional MLA and all, but I'm having a very hard time getting here when I'm normally allowed on the computer (around 6pm EST) and I don't really like being booted out every half hour and not being able to access it for days at a time.

Disclamer: This is all IMHO. Anything stated here may be the side effect of seeing one too many JET errors.

Nick

-------------------------
Llama-X Dev Team
·····Liberations·····
·A2:2
·68k: 7
·Contraband(PPC):1
·They-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named(x86): 7
·Other Systems:2Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2003 :  19:32:31
I know what you mean, but I'll say that I haven't seen a JET error in quite some time, (I also start my MLA night at about 6pm AZT, which is probably 2-3 hours after or before you (forgot which)

just gotta practice that skill of persistency

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Oct 2003 :  19:59:42
I saw one on Friday night...Yes Clinton, thats what I was trying to say, lol.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2003 :  07:25:41
How about someone do a test run on the conversion? ~Coxy could give a couple of the forum members a copy of the entire database and let them try and convert it and put it on their servers so we could preview what it looked and worked like after the conversion. It sounds like it is completely possible, just that someone needs to try it. It would go a long way in easing concerns and it might actually solve the problem. There isnt anything to lose by trying a trial migration.

Logan

Quadra 950, Workgroup Server 9150, Performa 6400, Powerbook 2300c, 4x Quadra 700's, iBookGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2003 :  08:15:57
I already offered months back to run a test run both on bandwidth as well as database and forum conversions/updates/etc.
The offer still stands as well. I have a dedicated 384 line, so not the fastest, but it would just be a test.

I am all for upgrading stuff and not having the errors, but I would rather have 5 years with errors, than 5 months then fizzle, but without errors.

~The Penguin

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Oct 2003 :  18:35:23
quote:

I already offered months back to run a test run both on bandwidth as well as database and forum conversions/updates/etc.
The offer still stands as well. I have a dedicated 384 line, so not the fastest, but it would just be a test.

I am all for upgrading stuff and not having the errors, but I would rather have 5 years with errors, than 5 months then fizzle, but without errors.

~The Penguin

| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |

completely agreed.

Like I said, being dedicated to the community means that you're willing to keep trying, even through the errors.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.