Lounge
 Apple eMacs (was Apple iBooks..)
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  22:37:27
classic mode lets you run old apps on OSX, but you can indeed get rid of OS9 and if you are new to macs, or still have all your old macs running 9 or 8 natively, it is reccomended that you do so with a new mac.

I would not be using ANY classic on this PowerBook except for my light photoshop and for clarisworks... if/when I get one of my other macs I'll do that stuff there...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  22:41:05
Exactly. If you don't want OS 9, just delete the System Folder and the "Applications (Mac OS 9)" folder, and you should be ready to rock.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  22:44:14
Sounds good to me. Posting on this forum for me is been great recently. Post, refreash, and then ther eis an answer to my question

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  22:44:38
and because the emac comes with all that software... Appleworks and the games and suich... you won't need classic because you'll have appleworks as a buffer until your other productivity is upped to OSX version or whatever...

all the better if you use appleworks now.....

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  22:46:42
Exactly. IIRC, all/most of the software that Apple gives you with the eMac runs natively under OS X.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  22:47:44
all except the OS9 software, like graphic calc

BTW: 2999 ML5!!!

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  01:58:41
About the issues with the ClamShell iBooks regarding there battery. Has anyone seen http://www.wegenermedia.com/parts.htm? 119 USD for an iBook battery. Anyone had dealings with them. If so, I might go back to the 795 iBook...

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  04:21:37
quote:

all except the OS9 software, like graphic calc

BTW: 2999 ML5!!!

Official MLA TourGuide

And who actually uses that?

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  16:51:17
If you're considering a new eMac isn't that almost the same price as a new iBook? People may have mentioned problems with new iBooks but what you have to remember is that most people on this forum don't have the cash to buy an iBook. If you went somehwere else you would probably get thousands of responses from very happy iBook owners... You have to have some faith in Apple! You can't assume that if you buy an iBook from them it won't work. The Apple shops around here also have lots of good deals on refurbished books.

Honestly if you can swing from an iBook to an eMac it doesn't really sound like you know what you want. Do you actually want or need a portable? If not get the eMac it has a bigger screen and although upgrades are still limited they are easier to install. The eMac also weight 50lbs though.

I think my concern about Clamshell iBooks was bit more valid that most, it's a problem that will affect all second hand clamshell iBooks and probably other models in the future regardless of their current condition, every laptop will need a replacement battery eventually. Just because 5 people or whatever have concerns about the new iBooks you can't let that sway your descision that much. If I go to the Apple store and buy any Mac I expect it to work, if it doesn't I take it back and expect a repair or replacement. If it's what you want buy it!

It would take a recall from Apple or some major news sites picking up on faults to really sway my descision (lets ignore macfixits scare mongering, they seem to find faults with everything, how convinient it is that you pay them for help). Like i said you have to assume that if you buy a computer new it will work. It's exactly the same with cars, tv's stereos etc. There are very few Macs i wouldn't buy, apart from the performa x200's and the PowerBook 5300, these were all crappy machines and everyone knew it.

It also wasn't clear at the start of this thread how much you were willing to spend, we all assumed you would be buying second hand. It's deffinetly true that if you are buying a secondhand laptop you have to be more careful. It's not because Apple laptops are crap, but because laptops generally take more of a beating than desktops and you won't have any kind of cover/apple care.

I'm probably repeating myself but you have to decide what you actully want and need. If you want an iBook either save up just a little more and buy a new model, or pick up one of the Apple refurbished models, much safer than buying second hand. If you don't need a portable and want a more power and a bigger screen buy an emac.

There are always going to be a few horror stories (and I won't mention the ones regarding eMacs for fear of scaring you off, yet again!) and those with complaints are always more vocal than the satisfied customers. As i said earlier how many people run around jumping for joy when they buy a computer turn it on and it actually works???

Edited by - gothikon on 22 May 2003 16:56:26Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  19:40:30
True, the iBooks are good, inexpensive computers.

the eMac seems to be less expensive though...

low end 12" iBook = $999 USD

low end 17" eMac = 799 USD

I've never heard an eMac story and don't plan on hearing any....

but yeah., buying refurb from apple us a good idea if you want an iBook, and buying new if you can/want to... always a good idea to buy new enough laptops new from the manufacturer. (warranties and stuff that yo get help)

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  23:17:40
Thanks gothikon for the detail. And your right, I have no idea waht I wont right now . About how much I am willing spend, the thing is I would save up until I have the nexessary cash, but I would still like to pefer to spend as little as possible. Right now Im deciding between proper gaming (eMac) or light 2D gaming (Clamshell iBook). Right now i am seriously considering a Indigo iBook since I am not really a gamer, the airport base station is cheaper, its blue, the price is good, and I have found a place where I can get batteries (http://www.wegenermedia.com/parts.htm). Another factor is I am not much of an "OSX Guy" and I am rather happy with OS 9.1

Ill keep you posted.

Also, has anyone in Australia bought a comptuer from Microseconds? What condition are the computers they sell?

5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555 (A message from my cockatiel, Emma who refuses to stay of the keyboard... )

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  23:20:55
I dunno. All i know is that Microseconds is plenty expensive.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  23:26:38
Less expensive than Applebits.....

Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  04:57:30
Have you looked at nexybyte? I forgot you were in Australia but they have deals on refurbished iBooks for somewhere around 1800. Of course thats a lot more than the iBook.

About the whole aiport thing, if it's only one computer couldn't you just tack the phone line extension down around the skirting board or something? It's save you about 400 AUD!!

Whatever happens I wouldn't be spending much more than about 1000 AUD for the clasmshell iBook, try and get the special edition 366 or up. As the iBook has no PCMCIA slot you are always going to be limited regarding expansion options so firewire will be a big boon even if you think you won't need it yet. Trust me being stuck with 1MB a second for transfers is going to suck. You can also get pismos with larger screens and more expansion options (s-video, semi-upgradeable processor dual battery option, better availability for spare parts ) for around 1500 AUD

I think most people will agree with me if you are looking at spendinmg 1000-2000 AUD (500-1000 USD) you should stretch your cash out for a pismo. I also saw an original TiBook for 1300 today.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  20:44:27
I agree, if I was going for portability between 1000 and 2000 AUD I would go for a Pismo, but the 'cheapness' bug has bit me so Im going for under 1000 USD. Microseconds sell a variety of old clamshell iBooks, including the 366mhz IBM 750cx Firewire version for 895 including an Airport card...iThink.

On the other hand, if I was willing to accecpt one of the Rev A iBooks I could get a 300mhz iBook for 745 with Airport, but I would pefer the indigo. Though, when the main uses of this machine will be MSN Messenger in bed, internet access and starcraft, the Tangerine might be fined

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  21:30:25
oh for just that stuff you don't even need a G3...

my 7300 runs starcraft very well... and as such, an older mac like a PowerBook 1400, 2400 or 3400 should also...

dunno though.

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  21:37:33
MSN needs G3 me thinks, and I want a simple Airpoirt system, so Im thinking a Tangerine iBook, once I can get over the colour..

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  21:42:41
heh... I've always wanted an indigo or a Key Lime...

You can put a regluar (cheaper) 802.11 card into an other 'book and if you have OS9 MSN will actually run on ti... (never heard of MSN messenger needing a g3, unless you're talking about the whole MSN 'thing')

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  22:00:17
If MSN doesnt need a G3 I could always go down the pricing ladder further, how about a Duo 2300c, but... I think it would be good if I think ahead and get the Indigo iBook....

Also, as the iBook is a bit more sturdy (in my mind) than some of the other Mac laptops, I think it would be a wise bet. Also, iBooks are PURDY...

Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  22:06:34
If you want to fork out the cash then by all means get a clamshell over a duo. I think you'll be happy with it.

Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
or just 4Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  22:20:10
quote:

Have you looked at nexybyte? I forgot you were in Australia but they have deals on refurbished iBooks for somewhere around 1800. Of course thats a lot more than the iBook.

Interesting. I thought Next Byte only sold new stuff?

Warrior maclover5

Btw, who just made this thread go widescreen?

Edited by - maclover5 on 23 May 2003 22:20:33Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  01:44:36
I have no idea why its widescreen, ahh well.

Lets say I take the Indigo 366mhz 750cx route, what kind of games would I be looking at?

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  21:16:03
many lower end 2-d games like stratagie and stuff,.. also stuff like Starcraft is probably good... it ran well on my 233 MHz iMac

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  21:20:45
ML5 Next byte sell Apple refurbished, as in refurbished by apple not stuff people trade in. Newwave or someone does take trade in's and sells them but Apple refurbished machines are eligeable for things like Applecare and stuff.

A 366 iBook will manage 3D stuff up to a Quake 2 level, you could probably get Q3 and UT running on it but neither would look pretty with 4MB o AGP graphics.

You could however play most 2D games and most shareware, you could also emulate everything before the playstation, and possible even the playstation, I know it runs on a 450 MHz G3 with 8MB of VRAM but I think it will also run on older machines.

In terms of regular Apps if you are sticking with OS 9 you should be fine, X would deffinetly be slow.

895 sounds like an OK deal with the Airport card which is worth about 100 AUD, it's deffinetly worth paying a premium for firewire, you upgrade options would be non existent otherwise.

What is your main machine at the moment anyway? What software do you actually use and what games do you actually play?

I certainly wouldn't go much lower than this. 1400's are deffinetly limited, 2300's are nice but have no PCMCIA, 2400's are rare, 3400's are quite nice but if you're buying from a shop not a lot cheaper than the clamshell and a lot less powerful.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  22:04:08
quote:

iThink the fastest Tangerine was 366. However, the graphite, Indigo and Lime Green ones went up to 466.

Indigo is only 366... If you don't need any expandability, go for the clamshell iBook, they're cheaper and unique looking. If you want the expandability and a more professional look, go for the Pismo 500. I don't think getting a tangerine would be in your best interest. The early iBooks aren't too nice from what I understand. If you got a latter graphite, indigo or key lime, then oh ya... My friend has the Key Lime model, 466 mhz 66mhz bus, limited to 800x600, but it's still nice. The indigo looks really nice and I'd personally take the 100 mhz drop just to have the case. If you wanted you could buy parts machines and assemble one from scratch. That way you could possibly get the tangerine case if that's what you want and also get the 466mhz processor. the only problem there is that a FireWire port was added, and if you want to use it you'll have to make a hole, unless the colored plastics are interchangeable. You'd also have the option of either DVD or CD-RW for the optical drive.

I've been rambling, so I'll stop, I had been investigating the iBooks for a long time because I thought that was what I really wanted, so ya.... I'll stop rambling now....

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  22:07:29
quote:

OK I am going to say don't get a clamshell iBook. The reason I say this is because it is next to impossible to get good replacement batteries for them. This is something I would be far more concerned about that simple faults that a shop can fix. There were numerous threads started on the apple forums about the lack of replacement batteries for ibooks, specifically ones that held a reasonable charge, and apple deleted all of them. This has been an ongoing problem.

My friend has had no problems with his battery in his Key Lime, still holds multi hour charge.

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  23:25:33
My main machine: a 600mhz Celeron.....dont laugh, I was young and stupid when I bought it . The paris model of the iBook does have 8mb of VRAM so thats enough to do anygaming I would wish.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  23:40:15
remember, the clamshell iBooks have handles! easier for you to take with you...

I seriously hope that THAT sways your decision! (that, and it seems like what you want)

bewarned though, it operates only at 800 by 600 resolution

but, if you get a new enough one you can have TV/av output!!! (that's cool!)

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  15:25:37
Although you could put a DVD drive in the clamshell AFAIK no clamshell has the power (graphics) to decode DVD's.

You can swap parts between clamshell iBooks but I wouldn't consider building one from scratch, it's just not worth it.

Something like a handle should make no difference to your descision...

You would probably find a 366-466 comparable to your celeron 600, except when it comes to playing games as you will be stuck with 4 Mb of VRAM.

Cory, I wasn't aware of any clamshell having TV-out, and it seems apparent that he won't be getting an iceBook.

--------

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  18:42:28
Yeah, with a normal minijack to RCA connectors patch cable, you can get TV out on a newer Clamshell.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  16:49:38
Ha, my current computer only has 1mb of VRAM....damn IBM piece of shit..

quote:

Although you could put a DVD drive in the clamshell AFAIK no clamshell has the power (graphics) to decode DVD's.

You can swap parts between clamshell iBooks but I wouldn't consider building one from scratch, it's just not worth it.

Something like a handle should make no difference to your descision...

You would probably find a 366-466 comparable to your celeron 600, except when it comes to playing games as you will be stuck with 4 Mb of VRAM.

Cory, I wasn't aware of any clamshell having TV-out, and it seems apparent that he won't be getting an iceBook.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 Cube

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  17:24:53
1 MEG???? Are you sure thats standard equipment in your Celery 600? My PM8100 has 2 megs!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  18:08:48
Yep, thats the standard onboard i810e using 1mb of Shared Bideo RAM, its being replaced soon, but I want my own computer, some kind of portable, and cheap

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  18:34:46
*throws up combination of Corn flakes, toothpaste, milo and water*

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  18:44:48
I think you have prooved your point

Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  18:55:37
quote:

my 7300 runs starcraft very well... and as such, an older mac like a PowerBook 1400, 2400 or 3400 should also...

True, and a 2400c, and a 3400c could do wifi as well. If I were you howeve I would go with a pismo/other g3 powerbook. Pismo's have 8mgs of vram, can do 1024x768 have PCMCIA slots infrared, firewire, usb 10/100 ethernet, swappable drives, the list goes on. For what it sounds like your gonna do i think that would be the best.

Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
or just 4Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  21:43:18
yeah... and boredomconquersall has a pismo, he likes it...

I like my TiPowerBook G4 GHz 15" also.

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2003 :  07:06:10
quote:

It was an option on 466mhz models

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.