Lounge
 Apple eMacs (was Apple iBooks..)
Author Topic  
Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  00:11:36
Hi,

Does anyone here have experience with one of the new iBooks? I am looking into getting the cheapest one and I would be intereasted in knowning what peoples thoughts are on them. I would like to be able to play games on it too..

Edited by - Fedorenko on 21 May 2003 20:35:30

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  01:23:59
CLAMSHELL! CLAMSHELL! CLAMSHELL!

But yeah, don't bother with a Dual USB iCeBook. They have many many issues, and seeing as I worked at an Apple retailer for a year, that's been hammered into my head quite firmly. If you don't want a PB, (even a Pismo or Lombard would be a good machine that probably wouldn't break the bank), get a clamshell iBook. Sure, the fastest one is only 466 Mhz and can't do QE, but still, the clamshells are good, sturdy, solid machines, and don't have anywhere near as many issues as the Dual USB iCeBooks do.

IMHO, of course!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  02:30:00
One day I get told to forget clamshell, and the next im told to forget icebook...me confused...

I know getting a Pismo would be nice alternative, but I was kinda in the mood of buying my first thing brand new from apple, but ho well. Plenty of time to decide, I need to find myself a job first

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  02:33:19
Or you could save up a bit more and get yourself a nice 12" AlBook...they kick serious @$$!

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  02:35:04
But yeah, if you really want an iBook, get the clamshell....those are the WB model Holden ute of iBooks...built like a tank!

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  02:53:20
Hmm, as much as I would love to get a 12" AlBook, I dobut my earning spotention of accumilating 3995 dollars, but I digress.....

So Im stuck between a PBG3, or an Clamshell iBook, whats the fastest Tangerine ibook?

Ahh, this reminds me of the days that I wished apple was going to make a PDA a tangerine color, damb Apple for getting my hopes up!

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  03:13:22
iThink the fastest Tangerine was 366. However, the graphite, Indigo and Lime Green ones went up to 466.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  03:31:59
Microseconds has a "366 MHz PowerPC 750 (G3) processor, 64 MB of RAM, a 6.0gb hard drive, and 2X-AGP ATI Rage, 12.1" TFT active-matrix display and AirPort wireless networking" for $795. Sounds good to me..

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  03:36:56
Last summer, the school district I work for did a one year check up on all the 12" iceBooks the purchased the year before, so they can send out for repair before the warrenty runs out. Out of the 150 iBooks checked, about 20 of them had broken/breaking inverter boards, and would not charge correctly. All the 14" iBooks tested came out OK.

12" IceBooks: inverter board problems
12" AlBooks: battery life problems
15" TiBooks: chipping paint, overheating problems (rare, luckly)
Clamshell iBooks: speed limitations

Just remember to not limit yourself to just the iBook line. Powerbook G3's (Pismo models) are coming down considerablly in price, and can be obtained for a price between a Clamshell and a new IceBook. Advantages include PCMCIA slots, DVD-ROM (not available on 300/366 Clamshell, or some older iceBooks), and the expansion bay, which can give you additional capabilities if needed. USB and FireWire are already present, so the only thing missing verses a new iBook is speed (500 vs 800MHz)

Also, Pismo upgrades are also showing up, with G4/500 upgrades available from NewerTech, and G3/900 upgrades coming onto the market if your not satisfied with the stock G3/400 or G3/500. (iBooks are currently locked into current technology. No processor upgrades.)

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

31 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV Stuff

Edited by - Captain Z on 20 May 2003 03:43:45Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  03:51:58
Thats what i was going to say. If you get a Pismo, it'll be much more upgradable than any iBook to ever leave the factory in Taiwan.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  03:52:01
What started out as a simple question has turned into something thats going to keep worrying me until I figure out which way im going to go.

On one side I have the brand new iBook that apparently spontaniously combusts the second it leaves its wraping (or warranty). Or I could go down the Powerbook G3 route using something like a Pismo. And If im truley desperate for an iBook I can go for a clamshell...

Well, could somsone give me a link to a decent online store that sells all of these. I have been using Applebits and Microseconds, but the first is horrendously overpriced.

Remember, I want this laptop to play games, so something zippy would be nice...

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  03:58:31
Maybe you could go the ebay route? Or you could check with a local AppleCentre?

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  04:01:42
I dont mind eBay for little things, but for a laptop, I dont trust people that much. Ofcourse you can trust me when I sell my PB180c on there (Sorry for the sales pitch). Anyways, AppleCentre is to far away and since I am in no position to buy anyhting yet, im stuck with the internet for now..

Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  06:27:52
I'm sure you don't want to deal with the states on this, but lowendmac.com keeps price trackerson all this gear. It would help to figure out what a fair price is.

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  10:20:49
The chicklets are fine never had any problems with them they are great,

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  13:45:02
I like all of them personally. But if I was going to buy one I would buy a pismo. My dad has one, it works quite well and can be expanded nicely too. His did work well until it was sat on.... There are two cheeks permanently on the screen now. Parts of it are all black and it is cracked... I keep telling him to go and buy a screen/new one on ebay since apple wants 1400 bucks to replace the screen. But he is too lazy i guess.

Recently Rescued from Deep within Enemy Lines:
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
or just 4Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  15:29:14
OK I am going to say don't get a clamshell iBook. The reason I say this is because it is next to impossible to get good replacement batteries for them. This is something I would be far more concerned about that simple faults that a shop can fix. There were numerous threads started on the apple forums about the lack of replacement batteries for ibooks, specifically ones that held a reasonable charge, and apple deleted all of them. This has been an ongoing problem. Personally I would get a new dual USB iBook, if you have firewire USB ethernet and airport are you really going to need many other upgrades? No powerbook can have the graphics upgraded and few can have the processor upgrade. Whatever you get make sure it has firewire or can use a firewire PCMCIA card as it is going to be the only fast connection on the machine. It'd be a real pain in a years time if you're still stuck with 4x burners and 1MB a second external storage.

You should also seriously ask yourself if you are going to be running OS X now or in the future, if the answer is yes get the machine that has the most VRAM.

If I wasn't looking at new iBooks, or the last generation on eBay I'd be looking at something like a Pismo.

Although some iBooks have had faults so has have some of every other mac model. Like I said if a power board is fried it can be replaced, if clamshell battery died there probably is no cost effective replacement. Batteries for most other mac models are plentiful however.

Finally if you do buy new or refurbished as you won't be buying the most expensive model perhaps you'll have some cash to put towards Apple Care which will cover you if anything does fail.

EDIT - I'm not saying dual USB ibooks are perfect but obviously Maclover5 was only going to see the worst of them in the Apple store, how many people bring in computers and go "This is great, it still works" !! I know 2 people who have new iBooks and neither has had a problem with them.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 Cube

Edited by - gothikon on 20 May 2003 15:33:35Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  16:29:12
Good point about me seeing the worst of them, but I saw my share of good machines too, that were just in for software problems or hardware upgrades that people didn't want to do. Also, if you go onto MAF you'll see that there are a lot of complaints in the iBook nook about the Dual USB ones.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  16:59:51
I have a 600 MHz (Rage 128) iBook, and it has served me well, flawlessly, for over 18 months. Runs Mac OS X 10.2.6, I do all my work (Java/JSP development) on it, no trouble. Behaves very well in an otherwise Windows 2000-only environment.

That said, it is getting long in the tooth, and is about to be replaced by a 12" Aluminium PowerBook. But it works like a charm.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleepGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  20:15:28
I would say that you could go with an IceBook...

Go for it!

if it causes problems for you, get rid of the fscking thing before you start to hate apple though.

I know someone who had one and the stupid guy STILL has it! after like... 3 years of trying to get this thing to work... He's had it replaced 3 or 4 times and still doesn't get it...

Apple keeps sending him lemons or something...

I'd say that you need to do what you think is right...

I do know that some people here (ML5 really) have a strong bias, because one of his friends (the same as I had) has only had lemons of IceBooks...

I personally haven't personally used one but I'd say that all the PowerBook G3's are great, and the early PowerBook G4's are certainly coming DOWN in price as well as the G3's... (as I've seen)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  20:30:12
I like lemons tey taste good, also my friend ran over his iBook and the hard drive works like a charm.

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  21:19:02
hey... if it's not a lemon, then it's certainly not a lemon!

I certainly think that some are good and some aren't...

I also personally believe that all of these "Crapple horror stories" we hear are isolated incidences.... dunno though.

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  23:12:38
Sorry guys, but you have scared me off getting a Apple Laptop....Ill get an eMac instead, unless offcourse, you can scare me off that too. .

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  01:28:21
Nah. eMacs ROCK! We never had a single eMac come into the Shop for the time i was there, and I haven't heard too many horror stories about them, either. Also, i *LOVE* the eMac display! It's almost like a really fat LCD!

Warrior maclover5

On the other hand, you could always get a 12" AlBook.

Edited by - maclover5 on 21 May 2003 01:28:50Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  02:54:37
Excelent, now I finally have my mind made up. Im thinking of getting the 1ghz model upgraded to 512mb of memory. Then watch the games flow in....

Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  02:54:38
hmm, damn double post.

Edited by - Fedorenko on 21 May 2003 02:55:32Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  03:40:39
quote:

Excelent, now I finally have my mind made up. Im thinking of getting the 1ghz model upgraded to 512mb of memory. Then watch the games flow in....

Cool! Have fun!

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  12:51:51
quote:

I would downgrade the memory from apple as much as possible. They seem to overcharge for the ram. I would downgrade it then order some, from someplace where it is cheap.

Recently Rescued from Deep within Enemy Lines:
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
or just 4Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  16:16:32
Stupid question but, what type of RAM would an eMac use..

Now you know how little I know about modern macs

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  17:01:07
IIRC, it uses PC133 SDRAM, the same as most modern PeeCees.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  17:26:04
Went to my favourite PC web store (www.eyo.com.au) and found 512mb SDRAM 133 for $187. Thats 100 dollars less than apples. And since I would then have the 128 DIMM and the 512 DIMM I would be getting more for less.....yah!

Thanks Christophillis for poinitng me in that direction and maclover5 for helpign me with my stupid question , and for that matter, anyone who has helped in this thread.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  18:06:21
No problemo.

But yeah, you want to get as little RAM as possible from Apple, and then soup it up after you get the machine. Apple's RAM always costs more than third party stuff.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  20:00:59
yeah... the eMacs are fast, it's basically the same as the GHz TiBook except some of the graphics and junk...

GHz with 512 MB of RAM will make you happy, and you'll have that HUGE resolution'd display with that funny resolution

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  20:19:12
What kind of gaming capability would the 1ghz eMac have with 640mb of RAM? Also, is it possible to upgrade the graphics card of an eMac?

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  20:27:03
A 1 Ghz eMac with 640 megs of RAM should be a pretty good gaming machine....this time last year a 1 Ghz G4 was the fastest Mac you could get!

Oh, and as for your question about the vid card, i believe that it's soldered onboard, which means that you can't. Dunno though because i've never been into an eMac.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  20:32:41
Damn, I thought the Raedon 7500 has soldered onto a motherboard, but I hoped one of you could tell me I was wrong, ahh well.

Would I be able to play SimCity 4 once its released? Medal of Honor ect ect...

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  20:35:26
you'll be fine with those games, but sadly, the graphics are soldered onto the board (at leas theyre not PCI or agp) but a radeon 7500 is pretty good.

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  22:31:04
About OSX, How does compatability work between the old programs and the new? I would pefer to be running pure OSX apps, or Carbonized apps (mainly games), or shouldnt I bother?

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  22:33:33
You should bother!

while classic mode is ok for applications that you absolutely cannot upgrade (my heart goes out to QuarkXPress 5 users who do not have the QXP 6 beta), it's basically unreliable and fails often, sometimes needing a reinstall.

Going OSX-eriffic is often cheap (depending ont he programs you use and how you get them) and there IS free solutions like the GIMP and OpenOffice.ORG

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  22:34:05
Cocoa and Carbonised apps run native under OS X. However, if you're running a Classic app (those designed for OS 9 or earlier), you'll have to wait for Mac OS 9 to start up before you can do anything.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  22:35:13
Isnt it possible to get rid of OS 9, so it can all be pure OSXing?

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.