General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Your favourite -looking- mac
Author Topic  
~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  06:36:02
Hah, LowEndMac rates just about every 68k "Road Apple". Sure, it's bad NOW, but back then the models were popular.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  06:37:14
quote:

quote:

Ah, the Quadra 950, what other computer has cool ignition? (and weighs 16 kilos when stripped?)

An amiga 3000T... the only nonmac I think I'd remotely like to own...

:D

dana

Does it have the cool ignition, or does it wiegh 16 kilos when stripped?

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  06:54:51
quote:

An amiga 3000T... the only nonmac I think I'd remotely like to own...
[/quote]
Does it have the cool ignition, or does it wiegh 16 kilos when stripped?
[/quote]

both I think :D. It may be closer to 20kgs from memory... I was looking at getting one 2 years ago, and having it shipped from melbourne to here. Depends on your definition of 'stripped' too I guess.

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  07:14:41
quote:

both I think :D. It may be closer to 20kgs from memory...

I just looked it up - 55lbs for the computer, or 25kgs. oik.

dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  08:26:49
Stripped-no HDs or RAM.

Where in Aus are you?

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  08:54:18
quote:

Stripped-no HDs or RAM.

Where in Aus are you?

Country nsw - Bathurst to be precise. Feral petrolhead town...

dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  09:02:08
Makes sense, I guess...

Flash is out in NSW as well, I think. I'm in Perth, and benightedbastard is out in SA somewhere. maclover5, who knows?

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  13:38:58
quote:

Makes sense, I guess...

Flash is out in NSW as well, I think. I'm in Perth, and benightedbastard is out in SA somewhere. maclover5, who knows?

00013 Macs liberated.

and who is going to know? I don't like revealing my identity online these days...

Oh yeah, one other thing: Why the heck do those sites seem to have something against the 630? As a proud owner of an LC630, all i can say is that its a sensational machine that really does live up to the name of its Performa variant in every way.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5

Edited by - maclover5 on 01 Feb 2002 14:24:01Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  14:48:09
quote:

Oh yeah, one other thing: Why the heck do those sites seem to have something against the 630? As a proud owner of an LC630, all i can say is that its a sensational machine that really does live up to the name of its Performa variant in every way.

I doubt many of them realize, or appreciate, what a great balance of options/performance/basic features the machine has for the consumer market. Apple's "last hurrah" for the 040 era has so MANY power-user-hostile shortcomings that people frequenting a lot of sites dismiss it out of hand, overlooking the great features that the line does have.
IMHO, of course, I bought my first Q60 and hated many things about it for a long time, I think I must have bought (and pushed to the limits) about five different variants when I got past my first revulsions!
jt

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  21:00:37
quote:

quote:

I doubt many of them realize, or appreciate, what a great balance of options/performance/basic features the machine has for the consumer market. Apple's "last hurrah" for the 040 era has so MANY power-user-hostile shortcomings that people frequenting a lot of sites dismiss it out of hand, overlooking the great features that the line does have.
IMHO, of course, I bought my first Q60 and hated many things about it for a long time, I think I must have bought (and pushed to the limits) about five different variants when I got past my first revulsions!
jt

Hmm yeah you are right there. Back before i got my 630 i didn't really think much of them, because of how closely related they are to their PPC Performa cousins, but then it was time for me to own one, and when i booted it up and had a good look at it running OS 8.1, i was totally blown away! I thought "Now why the hell do they call this a road apple? Its a helluva lot faster than my LC475, and thanks to my video system, i can now watch videos on my Mac, and the ability to use an IDE device is going to be a lifesaver when i upgrade the hd in my iMac."

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  21:31:25
quote:

I thought "Now why the hell do they call this a road apple? Its a helluva lot faster than my LC475, and thanks to my video system, i can now watch videos on my Mac,

I think the reason they got the road apple tag is part to do with when they were released. To us now, a Quadra 700 and an LC630 may be very similar in basic specs, but there were years between their release - 630's being the last 68k desktop. They just -feel- like they're so refined, everything all works well in them! (along with easy 40Mhz overclockability!). Comparitively there were lots quicker macs about than the 630 when it came out... cos they were PPC's!. but as we know... PPC's just don't count *grin*

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  21:42:58
quote:

Comparitively there were lots quicker macs about than the 630 when it came out... cos they were PPC's!. but as we know... PPC's just don't count *grin*

actually, they count MUCH faster than our 68k's *bigger grin*, but you're the only one who ever nabbed a really good one on a scavenge!
g'mornin' maniac!
jt ;-)

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  22:39:29
quote:

quote:

PPC's just don't count *grin*

actually, they count MUCH faster than our 68k's *bigger grin*, but you're the only one who ever nabbed a really good one on a scavenge!
g'mornin' maniac!

g'mornin mornin :D. Really I nabbed 3 good ones - my first mac was an 8100 AV my sis gave to me, and the cheapie 6100 in a pile of other goodies was a bonus

I've been lucky lucky lucky :D. I think family members are feeling sympathetic to the poor little obsessed girl with her macs... can't wait for my cousin's to come my way (soon... soon...)

dana :D

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  14:00:32
I did not say that you said it was a "kludge"...lol ...I said the 637CD is a "Kludge". It does have the LC'40 processer in it with no FPU. The IDE is 16 bit which you were right about and I was wrong...I must have lapsed into thinking about those mutanat 8/16 Tandy 1000's. It does have a slow scsi externally. I hate the fact it only has one simm slot and the simm it does take can only have chips on one side.
Anyway my ZX-81 made a nice doorstop...LOL! I will have to find a use for the 637 or give it a hack attack:)

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  14:51:02
quote:

..I must have lapsed into thinking about those mutanat 8/16 Tandy 1000's. It does have a slow scsi externally. I hate the fact it only has one simm slot and the simm it does take can only have chips on one side.

I don't have a problem even when making something work requires a hack on a patch on a klu........

Get yourself a 68040/33 for that desk anchor and check out the MP3 thread for a great use for the 63X/remote control combo (stock Sony controller if you don't have the TV/Video system yet). If you're handy with desoldering/soldering irons, get another SIMM socket and install it! If it survives brain surgery, 'clock it to 40MHz, if you kill it, save the corpse for parts and find a microquadra (475/605) and 'clock the mobo to the 33Mhz '040's spec.

playtime!
jt ;-)

btw: DON'T get me started on my Tandy 1000SX rant again!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 02 Feb 2002 14:53:18Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  16:14:23
quote:

...find a microquadra (475/605) and 'clock the mobo to the 33Mhz '040's spec.

*squeals*. microquadra! feet!

dana

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  17:36:04
Don't feel bad TRash...I had a 1000sx too. Of course I also had the 1000A (14 different patches in that one) and I was dumb enough to get a 1000TX. At least I did not get a 1000 RL (a Road Lemon?).
As for getting a a 605, already have one. A very nice footprint on the 605 with decent power.

My working Mac's

Quadra 610
Quadra 605
Mac LC III with Apple IIe card
Mac LC II
Mac SI
Mac SE
Apple IIe

Problem Mac's

Performa 637
Performa 405
Performa 410
Powermac 6100
half a dozen of LC II's

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.