General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Your favourite -looking- mac
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  07:50:59
OK. Another fave-mac topic can't hurt :).

Of all the 68k macs released, which is your favourite in looks. not necessarily performance, or design, or popularity, or weight ( :D ) but pure elegant looks?.

For me... it's the Quadra 605 - cute-as, small-as, and with 4 feet... a lovely little quadraped!

dana

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  08:43:03
Color Classic. No other way to be. :)

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  09:08:15
I really like the SE series. I wish they could have made a ColorClassic in the same case as an SE!

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  09:41:14
quote:

Of all the 68k macs released, which is your favourite in looks. not necessarily performance, or design, or popularity, or weight ( :D ) but pure elegant looks?.

I really love the 630 box, if you pull off all the plastic, you end up with a sort of post-industrial/junkyard-wars look, but I'm a contrarian (and collect end of the world novels). It's usually a sure bet that the only computer in my shop that's really worth stealing, ain't gonna look it. My G-4/466 is an exceptional case *ouch!....pun was unintended.....but I'll just post a disclaimer*, but outside thread criteria as stated.

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  10:31:33
quote:

I really love the 630 box, if you pull off all the plastic, you end up with a sort of post-industrial/junkyard-wars look

I cut myself a few times on that "post industrial/junkyard-wars" stuff.

I'd have to aggree with GORDOOM - the Color Classic looks the coolest.

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

radams
Starting Member

18 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  10:55:04
I love the Quadra 660AV. It's the power button. I don't know why, but I love that power button

68k Macs Liberated: 5 1/2(One's not working yet)Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  12:11:02
quote:

I love the Quadra 660AV. It's the power button. I don't know why, but I love that power button

I love watching wintelers try to eject a floppy on the 660 (me too, a couple of times, I'm a little slow). The CC was something I hated at first, I thought it should have looked like a "color" portrait/475 hybrid, compacts always seem to end up typewriters, they should have the correct screen size/orientation, IMHO o'course. Now CC's are growing on me, I can't get CC hacks out of my mind and they're lookin' better and better w' ea. 'peg I find.

jt

SF TimeTravel branch in the flow of history: If the copier-heads at Xerox (Roch. NY) could let the PARC wunderkind free to develop this workstation (not the portable dishwasher part) in 1972, imagine what would have happened had Apple turned Frog Design loose to revolutionize this form-factor when PageMaker/Illustrator and WordPerfect/Lotus123 ruled the earth, on both the business and graphical sides of the. . . . . . . . . *sigh* Steve and his pirate crew saw the prototypes pre-VisiCalc! *seefootnote

http://histoire.info.online.fr/alto.html
http://www.archaic-apples.com/files/xerox/alto/1974_alto.jpg
http://members.tripod.com/pcmuseum/alto.html

* Give me a little leeway on names/dates/etc. on this one, fact-checking takes too much time to justify for a rhetorical question, if they're way off, consider it hyperbole. Back to work, can't keep peekin' back in here.......

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 22 Jan 2002 14:24:32

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 22 Jan 2002 14:40:38Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  13:42:18
Yeah, I still don't really like the CC design as much as most people. It's just too curvy...I prefer the SE's straight, definitive lines. But for hackage potentional, the CC is a winner.

666th poster to the

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  14:27:15
I always liked the way the Quadra 700 had the vertical disk drive slot in the middle. It always seemed to make an otherwise boring box computer case look distinctive.

The other day I was thinking it would be cool to mount some red LEDs inside that disk drive slot so it will pulse red whenever there is hard disk activity. Maybe a future mod to try...

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  14:29:29
Well uh, you do realize that a Q700 is just a IIci sat on it's side, right?

666th poster to the

Uncle Dick
Starting Member

5 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  16:52:42
It's all about the Macintosh TV. Beautiful, black, and based on the smooth 520 form factor. I guy I used to know had one and invited me over about 6 years ago to help him with it. If only I knew what he did with it, or if he still has it......

END OF LINEGo to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  21:32:59
The Duo case is really cool, and the best-looking 68k, IMHO. I just love the rigdes (sp?) and the small form factor. The MacTV looks awesome, too.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
2 Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  21:36:35
I have to agree with most other that the Color Classic was the best design in the 68k mac sections. The best design in the PowerPC is the Performa 6400 all hands down, and my favorite Apple design to date the new LCD iMac.

P.S. GORDOOM you have like the best name, its fun to say

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer"
Napoleon

My AOL, AIM Sceen name is got 007s milk

Covert Ops
N.F.C Newton Force Captain

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  01:51:17
I'm with Dana on the 605, although I really like the 'standard' pizza boxes too, the way it sits back on it's hind legs looking at you in that oh so cute way. I also like the 100 series PowerBooks - it's the trackball ya know.

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  06:34:34
quote:

I'm with Dana on the 605....I also like the 100 series PowerBooks - it's the trackball ya know.

What they said, the 605 is in a class by itself on the desktop (when I'm not in a diamondplate mood anyway).

I love the sleek lines of my 230, and its trackball grew on me after a long while, but other than the rim around the screen and spindly legs, (the crappy lcd doesn't count here) the 100 was hard to find fault with. That trackball has never had a any real competition. It was the only portable pointer that didn't force keep a mouse in my bag at all times for Fontographer/Illustrator bezier tweaks and spreadsheats, perfection!

jt

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  07:30:53
Yeah, the Quadra 700 case is essentially a II case set on end except for one detail. The Apple logo and model name are rotated 90 degrees too.

AnubisTTP

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  16:21:36
I'm partial to the PB 190 and Classic case. And I love how the Q700 looks so Industrial like when it's in it's vertical position.

-------------
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual.

Brigadier MacScuzzy
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68K Macs liberated:5Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  17:17:46
That's odd...my IIci looks rather industrial when placed on its side as well

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  17:33:36
Hmm, amazing, isn't it?

*Slowly pulls out Apple ][ Stick of Justice...*

-------------

Brigadier MacScuzzy

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  17:53:15
*quickly pulls out Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™ and bops MacScuzzy on the head*

That's for abusing your Stick of Justice™ and drawing it on a fellow officer!

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  18:14:43
Eh, it's all in fun

Quickly jabs FireWire while he's not looking, then tosses the stick back into the closet

Hmm...

-------------

Brigadier MacScuzzy

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  21:17:27
It's all fun and game until somebody loses a 950!

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  21:22:12
<brandishes his Mac II Stick of Justice™ menacingly>

Hey hey now! You boys better behave or your fodder for the Rancor Monster!

<re-sheaths his Mac II Stick of Justice™>

666th poster to the

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  07:32:25
quote:

The CC was something I hated at first, I thought it should have looked like a "color" portrait/475 hybrid, compacts always seem to end up typewriters, they should have the correct screen size/orientation, IMHO o'course. Now CC's are growing on me, I can't get CC hacks out of my mind and they're lookin' better and better w' ea. 'peg I find.

hrm. How about a Q605/Trinitron hybrid like:

http://members.dingoblue.net.au/~danabanana/5100.jpg

(I don't think you were around when I first posted that pic :).

I like CC's now - they took a while to grow on me, and I wouldn't mind one, but I'm in no rush. At the moment I think I have all the cases I -really- like. I love the look of my Classic II, and the Quadra 950 has a lovely imposing squareness about it, without being harsh. Two IIci's stacked on top of each other make a cube too - so bonus points for them :). 610's have the pizzabox look without being too restrained on size... and 630's I like too (with their clothes on). Kind of like a Q605 mated a powermac...

(just speaking of powermacs for a second - a 8600/9600 would be nice... I'm sure a quadra board could fit in there nicely...

dana

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  09:12:49
quote:

Now that is wacky! You should submit it to AppleFritter.

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  10:51:05
quote:

No, I wasn't never saw it, but I caught a winkie-reference to p'shoppin' and it's pretty clear that pixels are some of your favorite playthings..... wondering..........but I've got 520-580 (?) series/portrait hybrids on the brain. I always hated those (IMHO) fugly monstrosities. I think if I chop the ears off the sides/top and rip the bottom off a portrait, just maybe I can get all the case angles to mate up to avoid the CUBE behind a frame of the later revs, I love your cubist interpretation though, is it real or is it memor........

I was walking down the hill to the shop last night and had my eyes open as it's goodies on the curb for recycling day today. Ran across a dead (plugged it in just to see) Sharp Personal Word Processor, grabbed it by it's cute little handle........

Looks kind of like this:
http://latimes.pointshop.com/id-1633/ImgUpload/P_185825_201809.gif

At 5 AM this morning, plastic and metal shards littered the workbench/floor........now it's well into the transfomation process:
LC-630/DOS-Compatible/VideoCenter/MSWord-4Win3.1Processor KLUGE!

With a big clear curved window exposing psu components/board lying its side on the left and the (functional/will still be able to pull it out from the back to swap in my 6360) CPU drawer/tray on the right. I just have to find a teeny tiny crt or lcd TV or computer monitor to mount on a post and an hack an EPROM remap of the original kbd-matrix/ADB KBD controller board so I can keep the original keyboard in it.

..............and install neon illumination.
=8-}
jt
p.s. this is the first time I've felt at a disadvantage by not having a Site/homepage whatever for linking 'pegs of my toys, maybe when I have some free time.....

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  19:45:13
quote:

I was here

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  05:43:16
Ah, the Quadra 950, what other computer has cool ignition? (and weighs 16 kilos when stripped?)

http://macaphernalia.8m.com/MVC-004F.JPG

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  06:28:21
quote:

Ah, the Quadra 950, what other computer has cool ignition? (and weighs 16 kilos when stripped?)

An amiga 3000T... the only nonmac I think I'd remotely like to own...

:D

dana

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  02:32:42
I would have to vote for the SE series too. Something about that little Mac running OS 6 with Word 5.1. It is quick and simple. It serves "yeoman" service as a transportable. It will probably wind up in the kitchen running hypercard recipes.
The one I hate and have is the 637 CD...a diffinite kludge with the 8 bit ide controller.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  08:19:51
quote:

I would have to vote for the SE series too......

The one I hate and have is the 637 CD...a diffinite kludge with the 8 bit ide controller.

Welcome aboard, Rexzilla. I agree with you about the SE's being beautiful machines, someday I'll have a Radius FPD next to mine, I've still got the color brochures. Does Word actually run at more than glacial speeds on your SE? Now, about that 637: *see footnote

jt: technosaur

p.s. I got you by a year, kid ;-)

p.p.s. my posts tend to run a little long, so the detailed/silly stuff has been in footnotes lately.

*I was going to tell you that IDE is actually a 16bit bus, but since Apple can never implement anything correctly the first time around, the 63X only supports one IDE device, so I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. As far IDE performance, check out:
http://www.lowendmac.com/quadra/q630.shtml
http://www.lowendmac.com/benchmarks/q630.shtml
"Compared with the Quadra 650, which also has a 33 MHz 68040, but uses a SCSI hard drive, the 630 offers virtually identical performance. Since Mac users long considered IDE drives inferior to SCSI drives, this is good to know."

I turned up info on the SCSI being a "two-Bit" implementation in a very funny putdown of the 63X series. Take what this guy says with a grain of salt, some of his comments make me think he may be funnier than technically astute, hopefully he did some fact-checking for his book:
http://www.insanely-great.com/features/010806.html
The 10 Worst Macs Ever Built by Remy Davison
"In a nutshell, you have it. The 630, unlike every other desktop '040, runs the old SCSI chip, which limits SCSI throughput to a max of 3MB/ps."

I may see if a better SCSI controller chip is a workable hack for mine when I 'clock it. Inexpensive, fast, HUGE (20 gig when my Q630/33 was retired), IDE drives on a machine intended to do video capture was probably a VERY good idea, IDE performance took off at about the same point in history and now equals SCSI in all but very high end installations. It's the crippled video subsystem, the empty pads for a second SIMM socket on the mobo, and the serial/com port fiasco that raise my ire. Get yourself a full 040, Clock it to 40MHz and give it another chance, they're sweet machines, IMHO of course.

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 30 Jan 2002 08:22:15Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  13:11:22

I'd have to say the Quadra 840AV. I know that it isn't the coolest case ( The SE has that locked up) but with all I know about the machines, the very case of the 840AV says "sexy and powerful" to me.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  13:18:46
Damn straight, Tallgeese. Sometimes while I'm using my hot, flat-black 840av, I take a minute to just stop and lick it a few times.

Ohhhhhh yeahhhhh....

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  13:29:34
quote:

Damn straight, Tallgeese. Sometimes while I'm using my hot, flat-black 840av, I take a minute to just stop and lick it a few times.

Ohhhhhh yeahhhhh...

The lead in the paint tastes SO sweet!
jt

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  22:29:07
Well Trash, the 637 CD even with a 16 ide is still a kludge in my opinion. As you have noted it did get a "road apple" award. It is true you can bump up the clock speed and buy another '40 with a FPU (about 20 bucks ebay). You can also slide in a 6200 motherboard series and turn it into a very lowend PowerPC. The only advantage being access to PowerPC apps with a little bump in speed. At least with the 6200 board you gain another simm slot. Another thing I don't like about it is the case design. My example has had rough use and is falling apart. It is like it explodes if I just look at it. All those plastic panels just don't line up right and fall off. I know that is what duct tape it for!!! :)

I like hacking the 610's and 605's though, everything is easy to get at.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  23:00:06
quote:

Well Trash, the 637 CD even with a 16 ide is still a kludge in my opinion. As you have noted it did get a "road apple" award.

I like hacking the 610's and 605's though, everything is easy to get at.

I never said it wasn't a kluge, just that the IDE wasn't what slows them down! There are LOTS of things to complain about, but my experience is with the Q630, which R.D. said he shouldn't really have lumped in with the LC040 versions which WERE road apples.

Like cine' said in another thread, what would this forum be without lunatics arguing about hardware!

Welcome aboard, Rex,
jt

btw: The 6360 is the mobo to upgrade with if you can't get the 50MHz bus 6500 board. I've got a 6360 with a Sonnet 400MHz G-3 card in it. That was my main machine before the G-4/466 at 1024 x 768 even the vidres was almost adequate.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  05:13:32
My 630 will be the best looking 68k if and when i get a complete set of 63x bezels to spraypaint black...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  07:45:32
quote:

My 630 will be the best looking 68k if and when i get a complete set of 63x bezels to spraypaint black...

I've probably got an extra set in a box somewher........
I just chopped the metal chassis/guts of one of my 630's up into little bits and stuffed 'em into my word-processor/hack. Should be in excellent condition, very low mileage (on the skins that is) Whatcha got for trade goods?
jt
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  09:07:36
Yay! Another spray-paint-everything-black maniac.

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  10:14:55
quote:

If he avoids marine grade paint w/lead content, he might not get TOO maniacal! *or lick the freakin' box. . . . .yuuuck!*
jt

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  00:18:53
quote:

quote:

If he avoids marine grade paint w/lead content, he might not get TOO maniacal! *or lick the freakin' box. . . . .yuuuck!*
jt

Naah screw the lead crap...just use standard spraypaint!!!!

Btw, with the video system and max ram, would i be able to call it the "LC 630 Directors Edition"?

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.