68k Software
 68040 mp3 realtime players
Author Topic  
option8
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts
Posted - 13 Jun 2002 :  18:24:24
inspired and encouraged by all the lovely posts on this forum, and a burst of energy from having conquered the quandary of getting an OS that boots onto a finicky color classic, i decided to give mpegdec a try on the little bugger.

apparently, the 16mhz '030 isn't quite enough to decode mp3s in realtime. all i get is a heartbeat-like pulse of the songs i try, no matter what combination of preferences i tried.

has anyone managed to squeeze enough horsepower out of an LCII or color classic to play mp3s? heck, i can get my newton to play mp3s, and even play streams over the internet, so i was hopeful...

thanks!

-------
option8
-------Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  05:43:55
I may be wrong, as I am not really into using computers for music, but

alot of Atari users who use a Falcon computer (68040 - 68060)I think have been using mp3 for a while and the software is fairly crossover between Atari & Apple.

If you want more resources it may be worth your while popping along to atari.org and using the 16/32 forum.

shaktimanGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  07:54:20
quote:

I may be wrong, as I am not really into using computers for music, but

alot of Atari users who use a Falcon computer (68040 - 68060)I think have been using mp3 for a while and the software is fairly crossover between Atari & Apple.

i don't do music in hardware OR software yet, but IIRC, MPegDec is markymark's (very slick/elegant) implementation of those same libraries running under the Mac OS. might be some other libraries or might be from the same source as the Atari software, dunno.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  08:09:34

The Atari mp3 player FalcAmp uses the Atari Falcons inbuilt 56001 DSP (the same DSP as the AudioMedia etc) for playing mp3 files.

The Atari Falcon is sort of equivalent to a Mac IIci or IIcx with a AudioMedia II card.

MpegDec is partly based on the Amiga mp3 player not the Atari one.

btw a 68040 is really needed for MpegDec although a 68030 at 50Mhz might work.

The only way you can decode mp3's on a 68030 is to use a Audiomedia card with a 56001 DSP

SE/30's and color classics just hav'nt got enough power for mp3.

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  08:38:55

In the 2.5 version I added support for mp1 and mp2 files and also MPEG 2.5 low frequency (8000hz 11025hz 12000hz) mp3 files.

I think mp1 has 4:1 compression ratio, mp2 has 6:1 compression ratio and mp3 has 10:1 compression ratio.

So if you encode something in mp2 format it might be ok on a SE/30 or a color classic.

A SE/30 or color classic should/might be able to play those types.

MpegDec can't get any faster.
It's optimized to the max and the only way for speed improvements is by using the 56001 DSP or the AV DSP.

I'm working on a 56001 DSP version and I'm about 3/4 finished.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  08:46:04
quote:

The only way you can decode mp3's on a 68030 is to use a Audiomedia card with a 56001 DSP

SE/30's and color classics just hav'nt got enough power for mp3.

i just knew i shouldn't have posted that! <rolleyes>

now i'm wondering if my SA2 would enable an SE/30 to act as an MP3 jukebox! they had a NuBus expansion chassis fo it back in the day and the '030 PDS (codename: RosettaStone ) universal adapter i'm playing around with should allow the IIsi NuBus adapter to work just fine!

hey, markymark! i've got a spreadsheet file with several of the '030 PDS implementations lined up by pinout/signal, care to give it a look and tell me what you think about it? it's in clarisworks, but i can export it into a couple of different formats and email it to you. if you wanna see it, drop me a line and lemme know what you can use to look at it.

if you want to send me what you think might work as a non-NuBus90 compliant card-NuBus90 adapter, i'll throw that onto the artwork at the same time if/when i get around to laying this monstrosity out. a few more square inches of PCB won't matter if i ever have a run of them done and it might come in handy, ya NEVER KNOW!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

option8
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts
Posted - 14 Jun 2002 :  14:56:11
wow. quite the active forum.

well, i thought as much, i.e. that the CC didn't have the oomph required to decode mp3. my hope was to be able to put together some kind of applescript interface for it as a playlist builder, and use it to play music from my file server.

still a possibility, but it looks like the LC575 motherboard upgrade is looking more and more likely.

thanks for all the info, and special thanks to mark for keeping the '040s out there viable in these days of gigahertz.

-------
option8
-------Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 16 Jun 2002 :  18:05:32
I want sound streaming over Ethernet! That way even a PowerBook 5x0 could play CD quality audio... anyone know of an app that does this?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2002 :  20:19:40

There are a few things about ethernet and mp3's at

http://www.lowendmac.com/backnforth/010219.html

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 4 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.