A/UX?
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  11:46:55
quote:

tried to boot off it (holding down the C key), though, nothing happened, and my Quadra couldn't read it. Any suggestions?

there is another key combo to pass over internal drive on boot for older machines, don't recall, nose around faqs etc, or another comrade will post.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  11:49:21
quote:

there is another key combo to pass over internal drive on boot for older machines, don't recall, nose around faqs etc, or another comrade will post.

quick typing comrade babe may even post correct answer while old guy struggles with .txt entry.

jt
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  12:45:53
Ohhh...I see my mistake. I burned all the files onto one CD. I'll remove all but the 2 images and try again. Thanks again for your help!

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  13:16:26
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quick typing comrade babe may even post correct answer while old guy struggles with .txt entry.

Oh - yes :). DOCS - Delete Option Command Shift :D

yay I get to talk to me again! Hello dana :D. Just a note that the DOCS doesn't just go for the cdrom - but bypasses the HD and goes for the next bootable device - be it zip, cdrom, dvd, or a box with 2 wires going to it and the boot tracks written in crayon... it'll try them all :D

*note to self: come up with witty (lame one will do) phrase descriptive of smart-@$$ comrade babe with connotations making clear is complimentary (think color wheel opposition) term expressing joy in finding somebody so obviously NOT a dumb-*** for kidding around with online*

thanks for the double assist, bananadana!
jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  13:22:00
A few more questions:
1. Could I separate the files by burning them on a CD-RW on a PC (running Windows, without any special mac-file-transfer software?)
2. Would the updaters work if they are on the same disk as the images, or do I need two new CD's?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  13:56:59
Well, I'll try it. I don't have access to a mac with a CD-RW drive, so I'm using my brother-in-law's PC. Wish me luck!

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  14:06:42
quote:

Well, I'll try it. I don't have access to a mac with a CD-RW drive, so I'm using my brother-in-law's PC. Wish me luck!

never done it myself, but raWr's posting about file transfer's PC to mac seems like something you should review before making the attempt. I'll do the same if I need to do what you're trying, his how-to seemed very good to this newbie.
jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  19:48:49
It didn't work. I guess I have to go to CompUSA or Datavision in Manhattan tomorrow to burn it.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  05:58:55
quote:

A few more questions:
1. Could I separate the files by burning them on a CD-RW on a PC (running *******, without any special mac-file-transfer software?)
2. Would the updaters work if they are on the same disk as the images, or do I need two new CD's?

quote:

Ahhh - the impression I got was it needed to be burnt (the 128 or so Mb file) on a mac as a complete disk image, which would then create the proper, bootable disk which contained the bootability for normal macos, and for the A/UX also. I'm not so sure about the updaters... you could probably access them from inside a/ux as a file on a mac volume, at a guess - might be best to check the updaters out after the first install works!. Anyone else installed a/ux yet?

dana

Yip! I have.

Now how did I do it again?

Burned the big disc image and 2 updaters to a CD in 3 sessions... and then discovered that the Quadra could only mount the first session. Oh Well, copied the updaters to floppies on the 6100 - no worries. Then I couldn't get her to boot from the CD, so I booted from a disk tools floppy and executed the installer from there. The updaters can only be run when A/UX is active, so boot her before you try to run them. Easy peasy.

The tricky bit comes after the install... trying to figure what this unix stuff is all about. A/UX does seem to have some pretty helpful online documentation - presented in a typical apple-manualish easy-reading sort of way, however they're pretty extensive and I've only just managed to scratch the surface so far.

Good luck!

CC

Current score:
1 Apple //e
1 Quadra 800
1 Powermac 6100
Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  11:53:38
Okay, here goes.

First off, A/UX will not work on any AV machines. So I'd suggest you find another machine to install it on than your Quadra 660AV.

Then, the images. The disk image that holds the A/UX install is a Toast image. Don't mount it, don't change it, don't do anything with it but burn it to a CD with Toast. The first partition on the CD is an HFS volume, readable by your Mac. The second partition is in A/UX's native filing system, the Mac OS can't access that.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  14:40:52
quote:

First off, A/UX will not work on any AV machines. So I'd suggest you find another machine to install it on than your Quadra 660AV.

Oh, well, I'll have to scratch this project for now.....maybe I'll get lucky and come across a 950 to install it on.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  01:14:07
quote:

The tricky bit comes after the install... trying to figure what this unix stuff is all about. A/UX does seem to have some pretty helpful online documentation - presented in a typical apple-manualish easy-reading sort of way, however they're pretty extensive and I've only just managed to scratch the surface so far.
quote:

Had you done much unix before? I'd used it for a couple of years at uni, then nothing for a while - now OSX for a year (oh it's blissful!). I'll have to find a larger HD for a microquadra and see how it runs on that... :D

No. Zip. Only did CS thru stage 2 and they didn't sit you down at the DEC 'til stage 3. Got to spend lots of time playing around on 128ks though .

I've almost convinced myself that I should jump careers midstream... you know... go back to Uni and finish my degree. I figured playing around with A/UX would be a bit of a test...see how long it takes for my rusty old brain to pick up something new. I think I'm failing right now .

CCGo to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  06:46:08
Holy Smoke! I'm almost afraid to reply again. 13 dups. Wow.

quote:

:D. It probably doesn't help that a/ux is a bit of an older unix by now, and not too well documented when it comes to its little peculiarities!. Debian Linux on a 68k is simple and runs the unix basics, I love it. I would dearly love to get myself back and do full on comp.sci - I've done partway through second year myself :).

dana

I'm sure you're right about Debian being a more practical choice. What's the learning curve like? A/UX does have the attraction of being a bona fide Apple OS though (always an attraction for a mac bigot like myself ).

Sounds like you're in a similar situation to me...? Didn't appreciate the benefits of a tertiary education 'till too late. The parties were great, but looking back I wish I had put just that little bit more effort into study. On the other hand, maybe its for the best - one of my close friends from uni now works for M$. Sad git.

CC

Current score:
1 Apple //e
1 Quadra 800
1 Powermac 6100
Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  06:53:32
bigsadhu, you are able to delete multiple replies, ya know

Just log in, and click on the little trash can icon on the top of your posts

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  11:18:41
quote:
quote:
:D. It probably doesn't help that a/ux is a bit of an older unix by now, and not too well documented when it comes to its little peculiarities!. Debian Linux on a 68k is simple and runs the unix basics, I love it.

I'm sure you're right about Debian being a more practical choice.

Yeah, but it's Linux, hence it sucks.

quote:
What's the learning curve like? A/UX does have the attraction of being a bona fide Apple OS though (always an attraction for a mac bigot like myself ).

A/UX is based on SVR4, with some BSD additions, and is fully POSIX compliant. Plus it runs System 7 apps and has all sorts of handy GUI tools. UNIX-wise, it's hard to beat, really. Only Mac OS X and IRIX come close, IMHO.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  13:28:42
quote:
bigsadhu, you are able to delete multiple replies, ya know

Just log in, and click on the little trash can icon on the top of your posts

Uh... so I can.

Thanks for the tip!

CC

Current score:
1 Apple //e
1 Quadra 800
1 Powermac 6100
Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  22:32:06
WonkoTheSane:

So I take it you have a Boot floppy and 2 CD's?

can I perhaps pay you or send you the media to get copies?

And BTW everyone, yes, Command-Option-Shift-Delete to bypass your startup device and boot off the first bootable devices on your SCSI chain.

Command-Option-Shit-Delete-AND A NUMBER 0-7 will boot off that particular SCSI device.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Holder of the Compact Mac Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  07:13:13
Ah, you have a slight typo in the second COSD...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  07:45:58
quote:

Ah, you have a slight typo in the second COSD...

crappy keyboard . . .
jt2

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.