All Forums
 Lounge
 free 7100's and monitors
Author Topic  
mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  11:43:51
If any of you live near Pasadena California I can get you a 7100 or your choice of many different monitors.
Caltech is throwing away a half dozen 7100's and about 15 monitors as well as a heap of old windoze boxes.
If you want something, act fast, these things are being stored in the hallway of a sub-basement right now, but they're marked for the trash and could be taken away at any time.

mathgeek
68K Macs Liberated: 1

Edited by - leemac on 05 Jun 2002 11:03:35

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  12:29:45
Hey! I'm interested! Where do I pick 'em up???

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 03 Jun 2002 12:46:23Go to Top of Page

mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  14:15:17
you can meet me and I'll take you to the builing so you can look for yourself, or you can tell me what you want and I'll get it for you and you can pick it up from my aprtment.
there are also a couple of unidentifiable macs I'm going to have a second look at. Might be interesting.

email me dgoulet@caltech.edu

mathgeek
68K Macs Liberated: 1Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  14:21:02
quote:

If any of you live near Pasadena California I can get you a 7100 or your choice of many different monitors.
Caltech is throwing away a half dozen 7100's and about 15 monitors as well as a heap of old windoze boxes.
If you want something, act fast, these things are being stored in the hallway of a sub-basement right now, but they're marked for the trash and could be taken away at any time.

mathgeek

hiya 'geek! longtime no post! welcome back!

if you spot any *blech! ptui!* PC's with an AGP slot, i gots a voodoo3 with its name on it! right now it's imprisoned in a box loaded with full length NuBus cards that're constantly kicking the living c**p outta the little POS, and a boxload of flight Sims just dying to be played on DOS-n-Doz! if you spot one (unlikely, i haven't found a single AGP system abandoned yet!), i'd appreciate a chance to send you some postage (just the mobo and any cards or (ha!) RAM! left on it! i've even got some pentiums collecting dust if it's a lobotomized, intel impaired rig!)

thanks, and welcome back, comrade!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 03 Jun 2002 14:24:27Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  14:27:17
Yeah, it has been a long time since we've heard from you, mathgeek. I was beginning to wonder whether we scared you away or something!

I'd prefer to come and look at all the goodness myself, but I'll email you and we can work out the details...

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  14:51:56
The mystery macs I mentioned in my last post are actually a pair of IIx's free for the taking. There's also some behemoth apple printer.

Sorry Trash I wouldn't know what an AGP equipt PC looked like even if I opened it up. I've never even owned or opened a mac with an AGP slot. I'm still living in the 6100 era. Maybe if cinemafia comes down here he can spot one for ya.

You guys didn't scare me off, I just got busy taking/teaching classes and flying back and forth across the country.

mathgeek
68K Macs Liberated: 1Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  15:02:46
Hooray! I can't wait!

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  15:52:36
Ahh man I want a PC (linux) and a 7100...

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  16:08:51
Well, Jeremy, if I find something nifty I'll hold on to it to trade to you later, eh?

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 03 Jun 2002 :  16:25:21
Sweet!

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

LeeMac
Trading Post Commander

USA
202 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2002 :  08:00:24
quote:

There's also some behemoth apple printer.

mathgeek

Very likely that printer is a LaserWriter II of some type. (IIg, IInt or IIf!) If I were you I would grab it! Even if you part it out it would be worth a lot of money or trades. If it works it is a great network printer!

I have a LaserWriter IIg and I love it for large print projects! Manuals or newsletters or school handouts!

General LeeMac M.A.C ( Mac Action Commando) Phantom OPS
Trading Post Commander
68k's Liberated 0004
www.68kmla.comGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  00:02:53
BIG THANKS to mathgeek for letting me in on the scrounge!

Here's what I took home (can't believe it all fit in my trunk):

PowerMac 7100/80av
PowerMac 7100/66
Quadra 660av
AppleVision 1710av
Radius Color Pivot Display
One Apple Design keyboard and one ADB mouse
A IIx mobo
Multiple 30-pin and 72-pin RAM SIMMs
Multiple VRAM SIMMs
Two 3.5" SCSI HDD's
Three HPV cards
One Asanté Nubus ethernet card (with RJ-45 and some other connector)
One Toby card
Multiple power cables
Three PhoneNet transcievers and accompanying cables
And a sore back from lifting it all (just kidding! we had a cart!)

Total 68K Macs liberated: 8
I Have No Legs!

Edited by - cinemafia on 05 Jun 2002 09:11:35Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  09:09:59
P.S. - The 7100/80av is most likely going to go to my brother and the other 7100 is going to Ti, and if the 1710av monitor actually works it's going to become my 7500's main display, but really the rest is probably going to be up for grabs.

I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

LeeMac
Trading Post Commander

USA
202 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  10:29:18
Man! What a haul! Good job guys! Did you see or check out that printer that was mentioned?

Now, this topic really doesn't belong in Trading Post any more. But where do I send it ?? Conquests, Lounge,or general??

Trading Post Commander
68k's Liberated 0004

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  10:41:09
quote:

Man! What a haul! Good job guys! Did you see or check out that printer that was mentioned?

Now, this topic really doesn't belong in Trading Post any more. But where do I send it ?? Conquests, Lounge,or general??

it was that, wasn't it?

sounds like cine' just turned it back into a T.P. thread, but it'd probably work better in the lounge with his new offer as a first post in the crosslink thread. (unlocked for a change!)

whatcha think?

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

*beats feets, quickly clearing out of lounge after nearly having incoming thread land on him the last time around*

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 05 Jun 2002 10:42:19Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  10:46:21
I was going to suggest moving it to Conquests, however since I really don't need all this stuff alot of it is still up for trades/buys, so I guess we can leave it here for now. I dunno...

Oh yeah, the printer was an Apple LaserWriter, the original model. It was yellowed beyond belief, and both the toner cartridge and the paper cartridge were missing. Plus, it wouldn't have fit in my car with all the other stuff.

Also, I haven't had a chance to test/use anything, but I opened up the Quadra 660av and there's a felt-like blanket of dust inside it...I can't believe how much has accumulated in it's guts!

I really can't wait to try out the 1710av, I've always wanted one of those monitors! It had a piece of tape on it that said it was dim, so I'm hoping it's not too bad, as I'd really love to have my 7500 with a 1280x1024 display.

I'm also excited about the Radius Pivot, if it works, too! 624x832 or 832x624! Kick arse!

Hopefully I'll get to test some of the gear tonight.

I Have No Legs!

Edited by - cinemafia on 05 Jun 2002 10:47:40Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  10:50:22
P.P.S. - There were at least four more 7100/66's that neither of us could do anything with, and we stripped them of their RAM, VRAM and HDD's, but just ended up trashing the rest in a dumpster. I felt kind of bad, since even first-gen PPC's are pretty hard to find (especially for free), but there was really no way either of us could have held on to them. Sometimes it rains and sometime it pours, I guess!

P.P.P.S. - JT: There was nothing even within 10 years of the introduction of AGP as far as the PC boxes went. Most of them were 1990-era Compaq Deskpro's or huge and empty server boxes that were in worse shape then the macs. I considered taking some home for hacking, but they were just so ugly and grungy I couldn't bear the thought.

I Have No Legs!

Edited by - cinemafia on 05 Jun 2002 10:53:12Go to Top of Page

LeeMac
Trading Post Commander

USA
202 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  11:00:54
Moved to the lounge from trading Post!
Carry on!

Trading Post Commander
68k's Liberated 0004

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  15:24:15
DIBS ON THE QUADRA!!!!!!

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  15:38:10
Hey if it would not be to much trouble could you calculate the shipping to winnipeg, canada, i'd set it up as a hotline server!

-------------------------------
I'm new Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2002 :  05:34:22
I really need a better 68k mac though.
currently the best I've got is an LC II!

MyForumOnDelphi:
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2002 :  09:55:16
Bad news, comrades. The 1710av that I was salivating over is dead, it will not power on at all. Most likely the PSU inside it is fried, and I'm not about to do a transplant. I may try hacking the big speakers off it to use in some Frankenstein hack, but the CRT and the rest is going in the dumpster.

Also, the Quadra 660av is dead. Will not power on at all. Either the PSU or the mobo (or both) are fried. If the mobo is good, I'll most likely yank the full '040 out of it for my LC 475, and the case and other components (CD-ROM, HDD, floppy) will be up for trade (I'll be posting a new thread with all the stuff I have available soon).

I tested the two Quantum Fireball hard drives that were yanked out of the 7100's we trashed, one turned out to be a working 1.19GB, the other a dead 2.2GB. The 2GB was trashed and the 1.19GB will probably be used in my ColorClassic...or something. I haven't gotten around to testing anything else, but I really am hoping that the RadiusPivot works or I'll be pissed!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2002 :  10:03:55
quote:

Bad news, comrades. The 1710av that I was salivating over is dead, it will not power on at all. Most likely the PSU inside it is fried, and I'm not about to do a transplant. I may try hacking the big speakers off it to use in some Frankenstein hack, but the CRT and the rest is going in the dumpster.

Also, the Quadra 660av is dead. Will not power on at all. Either the PSU or the mobo (or both) are fried. If the mobo is good, I'll most likely yank the full '040 out of it for my LC 475, and the case and other components (CD-ROM, HDD, floppy) will be up for trade (I'll be posting a new thread with all the stuff I have available soon).

I tested the two Quantum Fireball hard drives that were yanked out of the 7100's we trashed, one turned out to be a working 1.19GB, the other a dead 2.2GB. The 2GB was trashed and the 1.19GB will probably be used in my ColorClassic...or something. I haven't gotten around to testing anything else, but I really am hoping that the RadiusPivot works or I'll be pissed!

ooh! ooh! ooh! mr. kotter!

don't dump it, make a MacQuarium/terrarium rear channel or auxiliary speaker set out of that monitor!

maybe keep some lil' kritter innit (NOT cleo! i saw that smirk! ) out on the patio and use it for a pair of speakers out there?

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2002 :  10:39:28
Well, I'm definitely taking the speakers off it, but I'm just too scared to upon up such a giant, color CRT for hackage!

macdaddy

USA
107 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2002 :  10:57:13
quote:
The 1710av that I was salivating over is dead, it will not power on at all.

Cine, did you try powering it on while hooked up to your Mac? these 1710 type of monitors won't power on just sitting there w/o having a video signal from the Mac going into them.

Nice haul, though!

macdaddy - 68KMLA Field Meteorologist
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
68K Macs liberated : 9
Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2002 :  11:42:19
Yeah, I thought of that. I connected it to my 7500 and it still wouldn't power on. I tried multiple power cables and different outlets, too. No go, the PSU's gotta be dead.

macdaddy

USA
107 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2002 :  13:07:44
Darn.... too bad. There are some times I think my old 1710 is going to die on me, lol, but it just keeps on kickin'!

Yep, just changed my sig a bit...

macdaddy
68KMLA Field Meteorologist
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

68Ks at my base:
Q840AV
Q800
D280/DuoDock II
P550
LCIII+
(2) LCIIIs
IIci
P410
LCII
Mac II
Contraband:
(2) PM G3/300 MTs
P6360
5400/120
Q700/PPC 601
(2) 6100/66s

Edited by - macdaddy on 07 Jun 2002 13:09:35Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2002 :  14:43:47
quote:

No go, the PSU's gotta be dead.

dowload the service manual and search the term "fuse"?

jt .

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2002 :  14:57:52
Isn;t the 1710 a ColorSynch monitor? Do you have an ADB signal going to it?

~MarchieGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2002 :  15:01:57
I think you will all be happy to know that I now have a (mismatched) pair of Electrician LINE WORKERS gloves that I can use when discharging CRTs

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2002 :  16:14:26
quote:

I think you will all be happy to know that I now have a (mismatched) pair of Electrician LINE WORKERS gloves that I can use when discharging CRTs

but didn't you discharge it onto your chest?

jt .

mathgeek

USA
113 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2002 :  00:03:35
Since I was the pirate who spotted this booty, I though you all might want to know what my take from the haul was

-Performa 636

-Power Mac 7100/80 with 2GB drive, HPV card, ethernet card

-Apple Multiscan 15" AV monitor

-SCSI cables, power cables, and an Apple keyboard

-the guts of a 7100 for spare parts incase the one I got dies

-appoximately 100 years worth of dust. When I opened the 7100 it looked like the inside of a vaccuum cleaner bag.

I'm typing this on the 7100, although I have a peculiar problem with the power supply not working unless I tilt the 7100 at a 15 degree angle or better. I've opened the case and checked all the connections, I think the problem must be inside the power supply itself. Anyone seen this sort of thing before?

mathgeek
68K Macs Liberated: LC, Performa 636, IIxGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2002 :  03:17:52
quote:

I'm typing this on the 7100, although I have a peculiar problem with the power supply not working unless I tilt the 7100 at a 15 degree angle or better. I've opened the case and checked all the connections, I think the problem must be inside the power supply itself. Anyone seen this sort of thing before?

Have you tried reseating the power supply connector? I once saw an LC475 that worked like a charm with the lid off, but would show no signs of life if you started it up with the lid on. The problem ended up being the connection to the mobo.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2002 :  10:51:32
Wait, the 1710av has to have an ADB signal going to it to work? I connected it to my 7500, but I never connected the ADB to it/used the ADB pass-through. I thought that was optional. I'll try that tonight (lucky I didn't actually throw it away yet!), but still, would that cause it to not turn on at all?

P.S. - I tested the Radius Color Pivot over the weekend and it's definitely dead, too. It does power on, but just makes some clicking noises, no display. I put it in the dumspter, as I can't imagine it having any fixable parts.

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2002 :  10:54:19
quote:

Wait, the 1710av has to have an ADB signal going to it to work? I connected it to my 7500, but I never connected the ADB to it/used the ADB pass-through. I thought that was optional. I'll try that tonight (lucky I didn't actually throw it away yet!), but still, would that cause it to not turn on at all?

P.S. - I tested the Radius Color Pivot over the weekend and it's definitely dead, too. It does power on, but just makes some clicking noises, no display. I put it in the dumspter, as I can't imagine it having any fixable parts.

that'd make such a GREAT basis for a hack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jt .

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2002 :  10:57:52
Yeah, I know. I'm at a loss, though. If it's still in the dumpster when i get home I might take it out. If I clear all the old baby stuff (crib, etc.) that we tried to sell (but no one bought) from our water-heater room (talk about using square foot!) I might fit it (and the rest of this junk!) in there.

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2002 :  11:04:51
quote:

Yeah, I know. I'm at a loss, though. If it's still in the dumpster when i get home I might take it out.

sounds to to me like it's badly in need of some clear bezel replacement parts and a powerbook guts/LCD transplant!

jt .

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2002 :  11:13:45
Maybe if I get a dremel for Father's Day!

I Have No Legs!

Edited by - cinemafia on 10 Jun 2002 11:14:03Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2002 :  19:27:34
DAMN~ I just heard from Cine that the Radius Color Pivot Display
dosen't work either!

Website(closed):
MyForumOnDelphi:
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINEGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 11 Jun 2002 :  10:31:27
GREAT NEWS! The AppleVision 1710av DOES work! You certainly do have to use the ADB pass-through cable or else it won't turn on at all. However, here's the bad news...

The monitor had a piece of tape on it when I picked up that said it was dim, and they weren't lying. Even with the contrast and brightness all the way up, it looks a little bluish, and as if through a screen dimmer. It also has a very slight orange ghosting that trails off directly to the right on certain bright images. I can probably live with it, though, especially since now I have a 1280x1024 desktop for my 7500 (and it was FREE!).

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 11 Jun 2002 :  19:00:23
Does the screen use a pot for brightness adjustment? EvilHack™ time...

Or, I'm thinking there may be a way to trick it through ColorSync, too.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.