All Forums
 Lounge
 APB! CINEMO! REPORT IN!
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  08:41:28
Those Boxes i inquired aboot....they look like they could possibly be some sort of cassette player. They have waht looks like stop/play/pause buttons and they do not use regular audio jacks either...

Also, graphite, are you definately in with your cash? I can sell a couple more things on my end and possibly raise close to $100 if need be. Unfortuneately we don't know how much we need and I dont want to sell stuff I dont have to. Hopefully this being a forced pickup auction will weed lots of people out. Like we said before, lets keep this closed and a "covert" operation

One last thing, I think we should all put money in and figure out what we want AFTER we get it, instead of jumping in too early.

~The Penguin

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  09:49:38
quote:

Those Boxes i inquired aboot....they look like they could possibly be some sort of cassette player. They have waht looks like stop/play/pause buttons and they do not use regular audio jacks either...

Also, graphite, are you definately in with your cash? I can sell a couple more things on my end and possibly raise close to $100 if need be. Unfortuneately we don't know how much we need and I dont want to sell stuff I dont have to. Hopefully this being a forced pickup auction will weed lots of people out. Like we said before, lets keep this closed and a "covert" operation

One last thing, I think we should all put money in and figure out what we want AFTER we get it, instead of jumping in too early.

i don't think anything but a last minute bid makes any sense at all, as i said, i can come up with whatever i need, min. the $100 entry fee. this is going to take some serious soul searching and plenty of ready cash or a good line of credit troops.

i don't think we can wait until afterwards to divvy the loot, considering what's developing so far we had best nail down any plan or platinum fever is going to cause a bloody riot.

the Consortium never materialized the last time i tried to put together something like this, this one could destroy any chances for trying it ever again if we're not careful.

my position is fairly clear, i think, constructive comments, anyone?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  10:05:48
Alright...I'm going to talk to my wife and see what she thinks about the trip. Most likely, it would have to be next weekend, June 8-9. Neither my wife's car nor mine is going to fit even half of this stuff, though, especially with all the human cargo (my fam + Jeremy). And, I don't have any storage space back home. Realistically, this means I'd probably have to rent a small Uhaul truck and drive it up there just to pick the stuff up, adding to the cost.

If all works out, I'm willing to this, but I'm going to need financial help. I say anyone who's willing to contribute cash to the operation, contact me, and if I get enough backing I can do, then those who contributed will be considered "investors" and will get to pick a given amount of the booty. It's impossible to tell what all is in those boxes just from the pictures, so, JT, I think we should catalog everything once it's obtained and then distribute.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 31 May 2002 10:06:39Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  10:18:14
P.S. - I just checked Mapquest, and San Jose is 315 miles from me, almost a 6 hour drive. That means I'm seriously going to need some monetary backing and smooth-talking to spearhead this operation!

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Graphite Goodness

USA
88 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  10:31:21
Realistically we won't win it. Think of those fanatical mac users who scour the internet every minute of their life looking for rare Apple related goods with a wallet filled to the brim with money just itching be be spent. I say every man for himself!

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  10:43:02
Well, I just talked to my wife, and she shot it down...I don't think there's going to be any way that I'm going to participate.

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  11:39:57
Graphite just wants the cash he is greedy as heck, so If you guys want I can go pick it up and seperate what you want and send it out to all you guys, I just need to be emailed what you want. Sound good?

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  11:45:39
That Gamecube won't get that much cause its a pawn shop also. But all I want from this package are the following..

- Performa 6400/6500
- Mini Tower
- G3 6100 Upgrade
- Some SCSI cables
- A Apple External Hard drive
- Some cards or whatever

The rest left over from what we don't use we should put in a PayPal 68kMLA Fund which will fund all we need for the army!

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
ENTER THROUGH THE GATES

Edited by - TiMacLover on 31 May 2002 12:45:01Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  12:02:40
quote:

The rest left over from what we don't use we should put in a PayPal 68kMLA Fund which will fund all we need for the army!
ENTER THROUGH THE GATES

the only way i can see that working might be some kind of a raffle where we buy as many chances and rotate thru the swag using a random number generator or something.

otherwise i can't see any way for it to work out without dividing up the best stuff ahead of time and putting up significant sized chunks of money for shares in the bet tied to getting specific items. i don't see all that many things that really have a great chance of being functional. if they were that close to being complete, i think somebody would have done the assembly/liquidation already, but that's just a hunch.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  12:15:42
Well so far everyone has stated in their posts what they wanted and no one has wanted what someone else wants so I think that coudl work out.

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  12:27:37
You can count me in for 25 dollars in this operation. I will pay whoever picks up the goods this plus whatever it costs to ship my portion of the buy in the form of a personal check, the person who picks up the goods can wait until my check clears before shipping out my portion. If we do manage to pull this off, my first choice would be a G3 tower or desktop that still has the motherboard and other crucial parts in it, my second choice would be one of the 6400 or 6500 towers that still has the motherboard and other inportant parts in it, but I will take whatever my percentage of the buy 25 dollars ends up to be after the higher ranking people have taken their share.

AnubisTTP, Tank Commander, Bolo Division
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:21Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  12:40:29
We are moving all the posts from War room here for everyone to be inknowledged of them....

TiMacLover: Well me and Captain where talking and we thought of a plan, first off this is in here because we don't want others knowing what we are doing like Graphite Goodness who wants this lot to resell and get cash not for the goodies. We where thinking we all put in money to cinemafia's PayPal, then with the ebay money and gas he comes down to me TiMacLover and we go to San Jose and get the stuff come back and seperate all of your stuff then I will hold it all til we get it out to everyone, all of which I can do because there is no PAF at my apartment Any other ideas?

Trash80toG-4Well me and Captain where talking and we thought of a plan, first off this is in here because we don't want others knowing what we are doing like Graphite Goodness who wants this lot to resell and get cash not for the goodies. We where thinking we all put in money to cinemafia's PayPal, then with the ebay money and gas he comes down to me TiMacLover and we go to San Jose and get the stuff come back and seperate all of your stuff then I will hold it all til we get it out to everyone, all of which I can do because there is no PAF at my apartment Any other ideas?

sounds good except for not having the discussion in the open, i have a strong feeling the winning bid will be well out of his or any single comrade or AF allies' reach in any case.

i posted that link from a lead from AF so i felt obliged to invite them in on the Big@$$BoxLotConsortiom i was hoping might actually work out this time and to establish DIBS! onnit dunno about actually determining the pecking order for the swag, if the consensus of opinion is that my claim isn't appropriate i'll give it up, but not without a fight if somebody makes a break from comradely solidarity.

eduimorphodon has offered to do a pickup as a last resort, so looks like all systems are go.

my vote would be to copy these posts back into the thread and keep everything above board. if anybody decides to go renegade, it shouldn't look like we've been plotting in here and i'd like to see all the discussion in the open anyway. the comradarie here means much more to me than a complete working paladin would.

comments?

Captain Z I don't really care how many go in one this, as long as I can get that PowerExpress Logic Board with matching Processor Card (I don't know if it's the dual 604e's or the G3). Casings and other miscellanious parts I don't have as much interest in as that board

Trash80toG-4quote:

I don't really care how many go in one this, as long as I can get that PowerExpress Logic Board with matching Processor Card (I don't know if it's the dual 604e's or the G3). Casings and other miscellanious parts I don't have as much interest in as that board.

i expect the winning bid will be between and simoleans, i've just got a hunch, cine can't do the pickup, so e-bird is the only connection i've got so far, maybe dr. bob would reconsider, dunno!

i'm beginning to think nothing in there is worth the discord that is about to unfold. bleh! i shouldn't have posted it!

TiMacLover There is still me!!!

Trash80toG-4quote:

There is still me!!!

have you got access to a van, room to breakdown, pack and ship the loot and somebody to drive? (or do you have a license?)

TiMacLover Heck if you guys want to for about $40 thats like $10 a person I could rent a Uhaul and go down there, but if not I have an uncle with a truck which I could go but he lives 100 miles away but he is comming down next week. As for storage yes I have room I have No PAF here, My room can easily store all that, plus I have a walk in closet, and the closet in my room. As for sending I would get rates on what was going everywhere then have each of you send that amount and I would ship.

Captain Z quote:

have you got access to a van, room to breakdown, pack and ship the loot and somebody to drive? (or do you have a license?)

It's really a shame...

I have access to a MiniVan, have the room to breakdown, ability to pack and ship the stuff, and I have a licence to drive.

I am not going to drive 5,960 miles to do it, though

On the other issue Trash80 brought up, I think we should copy these posts over to the other thread, due to the involvement of non-moderators and now off-site help.

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
ENTER THROUGH THE GATES

Edited by - TiMacLover on 31 May 2002 12:43:32

Edited by - TiMacLover on 01 Jun 2002 21:53:52Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  14:05:56
Great News!

I just talked to my mom and she is in it 100%!! She will drive there and let me store it all here as long as we pay for the uhaul and stuff.

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  14:58:50
quote:

Great News!

I just talked to my mom and she is in it 100%!! She will drive there and let me store it all here as long as we pay for the uhaul and stuff.

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
ENTER THROUGH THE GATES

I.
HATE.
PAF.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  15:21:58
quote:

Great News!

WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

i'm in for a minimum of the entry bid as before and i'll pony up another $25 min. toward the van & gas to get the ball rolling. i'd kinda like to get a little something besides the funky kbd and any attachments too, but i'll wait for other first choices to come in. pile on, comrades, there's lots of other goodies!

we probably need to work out some kind of sliding scale just in case we get it for less than i think we're going to need to pay.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  15:33:33
That amount sounds good for all of us, aand course you would get more now what bout the rest of you?

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  16:02:37
Alright, here's what I'm claiming right out, via TiMac (some are apparent in the pictures, others may or may not be present):

Those two devices that look like speakers (or tape players, or whatever the heck they are!), 1 ADB mouse, 1 empty case from either a 9600 or an 8600 (full tower), 1 or more 16MB 30-pin RAM SIMMs, 1 or more 32MB 72-pin RAM SIMMs, 1 or more 32MB or larger 128-pin FPM RAM SIMMs.

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  16:06:13
Well ok since we should start this, here is what I was thinking on my side.

- Performa 6400/6500
- Mini Tower
- G3 6100 Upgrade
- Some SCSI cables
- A Apple External Hard drive
- Some cards or whatever
- One (if i can) desktop cases or macs whatever

My load seems more cause I don't have to pay to ship them to myself

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General

Graphite Goodness

USA
88 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  16:10:52
You guys dont think im being greedy do you? Timac keeps telling me that everyone here thinks im a dumba$$.

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  16:12:31
Graphite, I think you should claim what you want, and then you can do whatever you want with it. That'll be cool, won't it?

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  16:27:48
Oh yeah, I'd also like to claim what appears to be an Apple SC-20 hard drive case, it appears in this pic, unless somebody else already did, which I don't believe to be true.

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  21:28:46
I guess I will run the official request of parts.

- the PowerExpress logicboard (picture 11)
- corresponding Processor Daughter card (dual 350MHz 604e or G3 275MHz) (picture unknown)
- 2 fans (a big one, and a medium sized one) (picture 5)
- back panel to a Power Mac 9600/G3 (picture 4)

and either:
- one Power Mac 9600 casing (logicboard not required)
- one Power Mac 6400 casing (include logicboard of a Power Mac 5xxx or 6400 if not included)
- one Power Mac 7200 casing (include Power Mac 7200 logicboard if not included)

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

18 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV Stuff

Edited by - Captain Z on 31 May 2002 22:00:13Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  21:58:32
Also, I would hope that before sending each of the caseings, you attempt to fix them up to as close to working order, such as adding parts like CD-ROM drives, floppy drives, bezels, etc. It would be useless to send a Power Mac 6400 case to someone without a CD-ROM and floppy, and possible no logic board

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

18 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  22:14:09
I belive the buyer is intitled to that.

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  22:16:48
quote:

I belive the buyer is intitled to that.

OK. I just brought that up just in case you (or whomever) though otherwise.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

18 68K Macs Liberated

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  23:20:22
Alert: Security Breach

Earlier today, someone by the name "macaphile" (also a registered member here who last visited today after a number of weeks away), posted information pretaining to the auction on the MacAddict Forums. This alarms me because we now have more competition, because there has to be a number of people within driving distance of San Jose.

Being that there are currently 7 or 8 of us willing to go in, I guess I should make this clear that this auction could go much higher than $100. Split 8 ways is fairly small in comparasion, but keep it in mind. At current price, each person will contribute roughly $15, but if it were to get much higher, we could each be paying anywhere upwards to $50 a piece. If the price goes too high per person, some of us will be forced to back out.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

18 68K Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  23:47:41
quote:

Alert: Security Breach

Earlier today, someone by the name "macaphile" (also a registered member here who last visited today after a number of weeks away), posted information pretaining to the auction on the MacAddict Forums. This alarms me because we now have more competition, because there has to be a number of people within driving distance of San Jose.

blech! like i said i expect it to be in the $X-Y range minimum. which forum did the quisling post it in?

this is most likely just a case of california dreamin! but it's fun to dream.

jt . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 01 Jun 2002 19:06:25Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  23:55:08
He posted in Anything Apple:
http://www.macaddict.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/015887.html

They don't even know about the keyboard yet, or have a direct link to the auction. Most will probably be turned away when they read the details.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

18 68K Macs Liberated

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  00:03:02
I think we shoud email him with some type of proposal, help me out guys! btw are we all in this now?

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  00:04:15
quote:

He posted in Anything Apple:
http://www.macaddict.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/015887.html

They don't even know about the keyboard yet, or have a direct link to the auction. Most will probably be turned away when they read the details.

yah! one can hope, i was just over there and spotted it. made like it was his own discovery too! what time was the visit here and relative to the posting there?

whatever!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  00:10:04
Trash help!! Give me some ideas on this letter I should write!

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  00:10:06
quote:

I think we shoud email him with some type of proposal, help me out guys! btw are we all in this now?

seems like a few of us anyway, email who? certainly not the seller!

we may need to take the amounts to email or at least encode it with a share multiple that we establish via email, we might want to edit our previous posts too, dunno.

comments?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  00:12:30
Forum Member information doesn't show what time he visited, but it does show that he did visit May 31. When is unknown.

Either way, I agree with TiMac that we should e-mail him about the auction and see if we can persuade him to take down the auction or something so that we can purchase it, and pay him an agreed upon amount.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

18 68K Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  00:20:20
quote:

Trash help!! Give me some ideas on this letter I should write!

letter to whom?????????? DO NOT EMAIL THE SELLER! the last thing we want to do is tip him off so he adds vital info to the description for the whole eBay marketplace to see!

i checked out ars and nobody seems to have mentioned it there yet, hopefully nobody reading about it here will try to show off anywhere else again.

the fritter thread is pretty much dead in the water right now, that's good, one regular from over there checked in here to see what was happening and wished us luck! (discretely done too, i might add! thanks!)

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  00:35:05
quote:

I agree with TiMac that we should e-mail him about the auction and see if we can persuade him to take down the auction or something so that we can purchase it, and pay him an agreed upon amount.

that's not gonna happen! people sell stuff on ebay to make money! if somebody asks for a sale outside the regular channels it'll set off signals! the only possible ploy might be to say Ti is going to pick up the boxes when he has a truck after bringing somebody home from college, maybe the seller would be happy to get it outta the house FAST! i think somebody's old lady is PISSED if she's riding th e poor guy to get rid of the stuff we MIGHT have a chance, but don't bet on it!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  00:40:21
I've checked around various Mac forums also:

MacAddict: auction spotted, information limited
MacNN: no mention
Ambrosia: no mention
XLR8YourMac: no mention
AppleAddict: no mention
MacRumors: no mention
MacWorld: no mention

And I think that time isn't much of a problem for him. From what is sounds like, it's just taking up space, but because of the manditory pickup and time limit of 7 days after auction, I don't think he is planning on selling the lot on the first run. He might be happy to sell it early, but it is a very touchy topic. If we do contact him, we are not to mention information here so that he won't get any idea about what he's got.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

18 68K Macs Liberated

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  00:48:37
Well I hope cinemafia didn't already, if not who will? My choice of words would not be in the best interest to pull this off

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  00:49:13
quote:

people sell stuff on ebay to make money

Although that is true majority of the time, if he were there to make a decent enough profit, he would have instilled a Reserve Price of more that $100. It's too cheap of a price, and it is partially due to the fact he has no idea what he has.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

18 68K Macs Liberated

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  00:54:43
How the heck did all the biggest and smartest mac heads end up in this corner of the internet>?

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2002 :  00:59:44
Great minds think alike.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

18 68K Macs Liberated

Topic is 17 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.