All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 Sound cards
Author Topic  
candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2002 :  14:52:44
I've heard of about 3 nubus sound cards. There's the audiomedia II, which is on sale on ebay and is currently going for $50, the sound accelerator II that markymark and jt posted some info about and the Lucid NB24, which is apparantly expensive and has far more features than I need. I'm trying to find a card to pop into my Q800 to be able to output sound at 44100 hz. Now that mpegdec can play with no downsampling using the FPU, I'd like to take advantage of that. Can anyone reccomend a card that I'll be able to find for a reasonable price?

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }

Edited by - candyPunk on 11 May 2002 15:06:47

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2002 :  15:29:35
quote:

I've heard of about 3 nubus sound cards. There's the audiomedia II, which is on sale on ebay and is currently going for $50, the sound accelerator II that markymark and jt posted some info about and the Lucid NB24, which is apparantly expensive and has far more features than I need. I'm trying to find a card to pop into my Q800 to be able to output sound at 44100 hz. Now that mpegdec can play with no downsampling using the FPU, I'd like to take advantage of that. Can anyone reccomend a card that I'll be able to find for a reasonable price?

LOL, i just posted a plea for help over on MAF and was about to do the same here again! you've just given me an excuse to post it in my own forum! The PAS 16 was pretty reasonable, the SDII, i don't think very many people have heard of, but cine' said the later Automedia cards can get pretty expensive, so you might want to grab that one if it doesn't go a whole lot higher than that!

Pro AudioSpectrum 16 & PPC?

I've got a PAS 16 that I know works in my IIci with no problem. I've installed it in my DuoDock II and can get ever so close, but not quite all the way to getting it to work with my 2300c.

Has anybody got any experience with getting the Media Vision PAS 16 or DigiDesign's Sound Accelerator II cards to work for stereo I/O with any of the Duos in any of the docks?

The 2300c won't work at all with the PAS 16 under O.S. 8.6 but 7.5.3 is ALMOST workable. According to info in a couple of newsgroup hits, it should work with the 2300c. Nobody would happen to have a copy of the Media Vision Developer tool kit for the PAS 16, would they?

that's the real reason for this post, but just out of curiosity:

A lead on any information at all on the Sound Accelerator II would be great. The info I've googled has been contradictory, even as to the function of the 1/4" headphone jack and no info at all on the pinouts of the breakout connector on the backplane or any drivers or software for the card has turned up. From the info I was able to squeeze out of DigiDesign's knowledgebase, this card must be a revision of their first product and I can't find docs at all other than that so far! It came in a IIfx along with a TrueVision NuVista Card and a National Instruments NB-DIO-32F DAQ Card which sometimes interfaces with professional level tape decks according to some search hits. The combination of cards makes me think that this IIfx was some king of paleolithic high end media workstation!

Has anybody got any ideas, this kinda stuff was to die for back in the day!

tia,
jt . .

=8-}

p.s. i was going to post this stuff in the lounge, but the 2300c info i'm looking for should be applicable to the rest of the Duo's as well as your box, candypunk, so:

leave it tf alone so i don't have to kick your ( | ), supermod!

p.p.s. get a load of the proper capitalization! <rolleyes>

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 11 May 2002 15:37:05Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2002 :  16:05:44
Well, the Sound Accelerator II and AudioSpectrum 16 aren't up on ebay at this time, and haven't been in the past 30 days either. I don't think I'm going to pick up that AudioMedia II, because it's got a day and a half left, and I really don't want to spend what it's probably going to go up to. Does anyone know a sure place to find sound cards, or should I just send up a flare in the trading post?

{ candyPunk }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2002 :  16:12:17
quote:

Well, the Sound Accelerator II and AudioSpectrum 16 aren't up on ebay at this time, and haven't been in the past 30 days either.

mine musta been 31 days ago!

forgot to mention that shreve's got PAS 16's for $19 in a blowout!

http://www.shrevesystems.com/sprclean.html

lemme know how many they've got and id they're new, i might grab another one!

how's that for service!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2002 :  16:29:23
I checked out the link for shreve systems. Great! I'll pick one up! It looks like they aren't there on a weekend, though. No answer when I called. No email address is given either. Will they get with the times, please!

{ candyPunk }

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2002 :  17:23:20
quote:

I checked out the link for shreve systems. Great! I'll pick one up! It looks like they aren't there on a weekend, though. No answer when I called. No email address is given either. Will they get with the times, please!

check in one of the magazines for an email address!
i wouldn't put my email address on my site, but i might put it in a print ad, i've found that others seem to share that notion.

and some dinosaur types still take saturday evenings off!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2002 :  17:31:19
Well, the get with the times part was referring to the email deficiency. Most companies with prodtucs on their sites have special email sales addresses. I can't blame them for taking time off!

{ candyPunk }

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 12 May 2002 :  04:58:15

I think the PAS-16 is a Pro Audio Spectrum Sound Blaster 16 card for Pc's.

There seems to be a mac version of it as well as the PC version.

I found this info about the PAS-16.

The PAS-16 is basically a 16-bit SoundBlaster for the Mac. It sure looks impressive though (it's a 12" card, and every inch is covered in chips, resistors and capacitors). It comes with a handy patch-panel with 4 line-level inputs, 1 output, mic input, headphone output, midi input and output and an IBM-standard joystick port.

The limitations as far as sound manipulation are that 16 bit 44kHz sound samples can't be manipulated with filters like flange, echo, etc. It has to be converted to 8/22kHz first (I think 16 bit drivers were never written). Haven't found any programs that can access the midi ports (all want to use the IIci serial port). The joystick port works, but it slows the system down a lot when a joystick is plugged in.

Otherwise, sound quality is very good, and it helps the CPU out a little for games by doing all the music and sound calculations. The boards are cheap and can often be found brand new (stock that was in hibernation or something).

The Audiomedia II is a different story. It's a professional-level board with digital and analog inputs and outputs. I don't see how the software to utilize this beast can run on a IIci, but I guess it does (their ad shows a IIci).

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 May 2002 :  05:59:59
My PAS 16 doesn't have the joystick port.

i did find an audiomedia breakout cable pinout for a female DB-25 connector like the one on the back of the SA II. i can't make heads or tails of it, let me know if it looks like the pinouts of the DB25 are the same, but the connectors are different on the different digisnake cables, but doing the same job? i get crosseyed trying to figure it out because the functions are unfamiliar, here's a diredt link to the .pdfs:

http://www.digidesign.com/support/docs/Control_24_Pinouts.html
http://www.digidesign.com/support/images/DigiCableMatrix.pdf
http://www.digidesign.com/support/images/DigiSnakes.pdf

pds slot signals i can puzzle out, but this sound stuff is all greek (musical notation? ) to me!

jt . .

p.s. i just tried googling: "media vision" "creative labs"
first hit came up looking like the PC PAS 16 might have been SB compatible, did Media Vision merge with or become Creative Labs?

http://www.logicbox.com/catalogue.phtml?cat=SOUN

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 12 May 2002 06:12:12Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 12 May 2002 :  06:28:32

I came across the PAS-16 mac drivers.

They are at

http://www.macdrivermuseum.com/mv.pas.hqx

The PC PAS-16 is a run of the mill SoundBlaster 16 Clone.

Seems like the mac version is very similar to the PC version.

The Company that made them was MediaVision and I think they are no longer around.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 May 2002 :  06:52:44
quote:

Seems like the mac version is very similar to the PC version.

The Company that made them was MediaVision and I think they are no longer around.

yup! dead as a doornail, i thought they might have been absorbed from your comment. i found an entire book written about the PAS 16, it's probably about the PC version, but it sounds interesting, it's out of print, but used copies seem to be avaiable online, i may order one out of curiosity! (a major failing of mine, that curiosity crap!)

thanks for the driver link, i'd found them somewhere (probably the same place) but they seemed to be what came with my card and/or were listed in the manual. i think it's time to make SURE they're the same, hopefully not! maybe my floppies are corrupted, who knows?

thanks for the reminder.

jt . .

p.s. you wouldn't know of any hotbeds of subversive sound card activity where i might post my plea for help, would you? the only places i tried were here, fritter, MAF and arstechnica. no joy so far.

p.p.s. i might have made a mistake about the 2300c compatability, the one reference i had marked listed the 280c as compatible, but i'm pretty sure i saw the 2300c mentioned also somewhere.

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 12 May 2002 06:58:13Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 12 May 2002 :  08:41:16
quote:
you wouldn't know of any hotbeds of subversive sound card activity where i might post my plea for help, would you? the only places i tried were here, fritter, MAF and arstechnica. no joy so far.

I don't know how you feel about newsgroups, but you might try news://comp.music.misc . Lots of people there asking and offering advice on soundcards.

------------------
MacMoose
Benevolent Genius, 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 9 and counting
------------------

Edited by - MacMoose on 12 May 2002 08:42:06Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 12 May 2002 :  17:22:49
You can upgrade the sound device in a Mac???

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 May 2002 :  18:10:44
quote:

You can upgrade the sound device in a Mac???

dunno how to answer that one, you can put a better sound I/O or processing hardware solution into your mac, i think some of them even plugged into the serial ports and such for MIDI.

the cards we've been talking about are all NuBus based, but the box for my PAS 16 mentions and has a picture of a version for the LC PDS if you want to check around. maybe shreve has some of those too! that might be fun to have a musical feetsbox! i wonder if it could dance, now there's an image for the maniac when she gets back! (maybe tap! HAR! )

if you guys call shreve or google any info on availability or drivers, lemme know!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  20:44:32

Just adding some info on the audiomedia sound cards.

I've been digging up a lot of info and I think the Audiomedia I is running at approx 20Mhz and the AudioMedia II is running at 32Mhz.
Both use the Motorola 56001 DSP.

Both are nubus but there is a AudioMedia LC around as well.
AudioMedia III is pci.

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  04:13:26

Also the SoundDesigner II has a Motorola 56001 dsp chip running at approx 33Mhz.

The NB24 from Lucid is a nubus Motorola 56002 dsp chip.
The 56002 is very similar to the 56001 just a bit more advanced and can run at higher clock speeds.
It also runs 56001 code with no problems.

The NB24 is supposed to be compatible with the usual Audiomedia apps and is probably the fastest.
The NB24 is the most recent card.

The 56000,56001 and 56002 have all been discontinued by motorola.

A lot of the Ham Radio dudes use this chip for digital filters etc.
It can even be programmed to work as a modem.

Why Apple chose the AT&T 3210 dsp for the AV line instead of this chip is one of the Macs great mysteries.

As far as I can tell both chips were about the same price back then.

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  04:16:31

Typo Error.

Meant Sound Accelerator II not Sound Designer II.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  05:22:28
quote:

Typo Error.

Meant Sound Accelerator II not Sound Designer II.

oops!

have you seen anything on the Sound Accelerator II in the way of pinouts, drivers or software? i emailed DigiDesign, trying to get them to release dome info on that card, but they said that it's so old there was never any electronic version of the docs to send me, but they sent me some links to an active online user group they said would be helpful. haven't looked at it yet and the links are probably somewhere on their site, but i'd be glad to forward the email if you or anybody else wants to check it out.

will MPegDec use the DSP cards already or are you researching ways to provide support for DSP's?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  05:49:27

The Sound Accelerator II is hard to get info on.

It seems to be very similar to the audiomedia.

I've got just about everything I need to do a Audiomedia 56001 dsp version of MpegDec.

Maybe the other 56001 cards also.

If I get it going it should really rock.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  06:04:19
quote:

The Sound Accelerator II is hard to get info on.

It seems to be very similar to the audiomedia.

I've got just about everything I need to do a Audiomedia 56001 dsp version of MpegDec.

Maybe the other 56001 cards also.

If I get it going it should really rock.

i've got about 50 pages of crud about sound cards that i pulled off the web in a text file i could send to you if you want it. i haven't had time to go thru it yet, but if it didn't look interesting i wouldn't have snagged it.

i also have a Sound Accelerator II if you need it as a loaner or if you want a beta tester who has one for the project.

good luck!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  06:12:28

Thanks for the offer.

I'll have MpegDec 2.5 finally finished in a couple of days and then I'll start on the dsp version.

It might take a few months to do maybe sooner.

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2002 :  00:10:59

Another nubus motorola 56001 dsp card is the Digital Waveboard by MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn).

These cards must be rare.

They seem to be compatible with digidesign's audiomedia software.

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  06:54:56

Rare Audiomedia info.

A AudioMedia I card works in the MacII nubus macs and the PPC nubus macs but not in the Quadra nubus macs.

Maybe it's a bus speed problem.

A AudioMedia II card works in all the nubus macs.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  08:58:07
quote:

Rare Audiomedia info.

A AudioMedia I card works in the MacII nubus macs and the PPC nubus macs but not in the Quadra nubus macs.

more likely the cache incompatabilities common to the hardware transition to '040. NuBus stayed 10 Mhz thru almost the entire 68k era. which mac introduced the newer rev?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  12:20:23
quote:
Rare Audiomedia info.

A AudioMedia II card works in all the nubus macs.

I did not know that! Thanks, that's very pertinent because I was thinking of saving money by getting an AudioMedia I so that i can run ProTools 3.2 on my 840av. Looks like I'll have to save up for an AM II after all!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  23:15:13

Heres 2 links that have info about "Audiomedia I" and quadras.

http://shoko.calarts.edu/~majordom/music-dsp/1999-nov/msg00282.html
http://shoko.calarts.edu/~majordom/music-dsp/1998a/msg00146.html

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  06:28:20

btw Pro Tools 3.4 can run on nubus 68k's.

http://www.oakbog.com/PT3NuBus.html#Installation

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  09:10:39
Sorry i meant ProTools 3.5. I already have a copy of it on my 840av, I just can run it until I have some sort of DigiDesign nubus card in there, either an AudioMedia II or a Sound Accelerator II or somethin'.

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  07:09:56

I've been looking at the IIci nubus and quadra 700 nubus 90 pinouts and on the IIci nubus there are 8 not connected pins that some old nubus cards have joined together.

These 8 not connected pins have a different meaning for nubus 90 and if the old card connects to them it might cause instability etc.

This might be why an Audiomedia I card (and other cards with problems) won't run properly on a Nubus 90 Quadra.

The fix might be to stop those 8 pins connecting to the nubus socket by wrapping some insulation tape around them for example.

I'll experiment with it and see what happens.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  07:55:10
quote:

I've been looking at the IIci nubus and quadra 700 nubus 90 pinouts and on the IIci nubus there are 8 not connected pins that some old nubus cards have joined together.

These 8 not connected pins have a different meaning for nubus 90 and if the old card connects to them it might cause instability etc.

This might be why an Audiomedia I card (and other cards with problems) won't run properly on a Nubus 90 Quadra.

The fix might be to stop those 8 pins connecting to the nubus socket by wrapping some insulation tape around them for example.

i don't think that'll work, you're bound to strip the insulation off the pins on insertion. if you can get at all the pins where they make the bend between the connector and the card, i'd suggest clipping them on both sides of the bend and wire wrapping or soldering both sides to a header strip, DIP switchpack, breadboard or a protyping PCB mounted to the card or the case with velcro or standoffs or whatever is appropriate.

are you sure the bus driver and addressing multiplexding IC's on the older cards are up to handling the faster clock on NuBus 90? i'd find a cheapo video card that won't work and experiment with that first if i were gonna try anything like that!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  08:21:45
quote:

pulled down the book!

Guide to the Macintosh Family Hardware

quote from Table 14-8 Signal assignments for the NuBus expansion connector

re: pin 2 in Rows A and B.

quote:

*These pins are reserved in the IEEE Nubus specification; in the Macintosh II, they are grounded.

quote from Table 14-8 Signal assignments for the NuBus expansion connector

re: pins 8-11 and 24-27 in Row B.

quote:

*These pins are connected together, but not supplied with the -5.2 V descrobed in the IEEE Nubus specification. This voltage could be supplied by a card, in which case -5.2 V would be available to all cards.

have you found the IEEE Nubus 90 specification?

doesn't look like a very promising line of inquiry at first glance, dunno, lemme know if you find the specs.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  23:03:30

On some quadras there is a 5v standby trickle on the B25 pin.

There are a couple of possible problems that can arise from
this +5 trickle. One problem is thatthe +5V trickle is connected
via a previously defined pin. The pin was not used by theMacintosh.
The pin was one of the ­5.2V signals. If your NuBus card either
connects all of theno connects together or expects the no
connects to be a ground, then your card is
likely to not work very well.
The current that is available on pin B25 is not enough to
power your board,but it might be enough to make your
board act a little strange.If you think that you might have a
problem with this pin, then here is the rule to follow:*
Don't connect your card to any pins that are labeled no connects.

Important The eight lines that were connected to the –5.2-volt
supply in the original NuBus specification are now
used for new features. Many older NuBus cards
connect those eight lines together; the presence of
such a card in a Macintosh Quadra 700 computer will
disable the new features that use those lines. All other
features of both old and new cards will operate
normally.

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2002 :  00:04:52

This standby pin is in the quadra 900 950 and I would say also the av's.

I've heard of someone running an old Sound Accelerator card in a quadra 800 with no problems and the "Audiomedia I" card would be similar.

So if the quadra 800 doesn't have the standby pin then that might be the reason.

The quadra 700 doesn't have the standby pin so the old nubus cards might work in them.

The 610 is not really a nubus mac so it could have problems between the card and the nubus adapter.

Or it might be a case of bus speeds but that doesn't really explain why a "Audiomedia I" works in both a MacII and a PPC nubus.

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2002 :  07:14:23

I tested a IIcx mono video card in the quadra 700 and it worked fine.

This card doesn't have the 8 pins ( B8 to B11 and B24 to B27 (the standby trickle voltage B25 is in this block of pins) )
joined together and neither does a hurdler 4 serial port nubus card either.

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  01:26:10

Found out some more info about the Sound Accelerator II card.

I think it is the card included in digidesigns Sound Tools II package.

And it is very similar to the Audiomedia II except it has double the memory of the AudioMedia II.

So it seems it is a better card than the Audiomedia II.

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  08:14:44
Thanks, mark, very cool. Now I really want to get that Sound Accelerator II card from JT!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  08:40:32
quote:

Thanks, mark, very cool. Now I really want to get that Sound Accelerator II card from JT!

*scurries and stashes coveted 12" NuBus card in ultra-secret hiding place!*

=8-P

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  09:02:02
<sends covert reconnaissance team to NYC to determine the whereabouts of card and possible risk to team during capture>

Total 68K Macs liberated: 8
I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  09:31:03
quote:

<sends covert reconnaissance team to NYC to determine the whereabouts of card and possible risk to team during capture>

*reinforces perimeter defences with motion detector triggered claymores*

jt .

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  20:59:29

I tested the Audiomedia I to see if it has any of the NuBus 90 new signals joined together and it does.

It has Row B 10 and II joined together and Row B 26 and 27.

Earlier I tested a MacII video card and a Hurdler 4 serial card and they did not have any of the Nubus 90 new signals joined together and ran fine in the Quadra 700.

Because the AudioMedia I has some of the NuBus 90 new signals joined together could be why it won't run properly in Nubus 90 (Quadras) macs.

If these pins were isolated the AudioMedia I may run ok.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  21:06:54
quote:

I tested the Audiomedia I to see if it has any of the NuBus 90 new signals joined together and it does.

It has Row B 10 and II joined together and Row B 26 and 27.

Earlier I tested a MacII video card and a Hurdler 4 serial card and they did not have any of the Nubus 90 new signals joined together and ran fine in the Quadra 700.

Because the AudioMedia I has some of the NuBus 90 new signals joined together could be why it won't run properly in Nubus 90 (Quadras) macs.

If these pins were isolated the AudioMedia I may run ok.

that makes a world of sense to me, do they bridge to anything else on the card? i've got a link somewhere on fixing broken nubus eurocard connector pins, want me to find it and post it to check for ideas?

jt .

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.