Lounge
 Canada, it IS sweet.
Author Topic  
Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2002 :  19:31:12
quote:

Montréal was great. My mom thinks Toronto is cursed though. Got off the QEW in Toronto to find a place to eat and got stuck in a traffic jam. (poor timing)

I have to admit, I enjoyed my once-a-week commutes up there to Montreal, but Lord help you during morning rush hour when you hit town. Even Boston, MA drivers aren't that aggressive. It's one thing when they're just going fast, but when you're driving a straight truck and have a person on either side passing you and then they both try to pull in front at the same time.......that's just blatent stupidity. On the other hand, it's also the only place that I've ever bought a breakfast that had more to it than a full fledged dinner and only cost me $2.00.

Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 03 May 2002 :  04:29:15
quote:

Montréal was great. My mom thinks Toronto is cursed though. Got off the QEW in Toronto to find a place to eat and got stuck in a traffic jam. (poor timing)
- scchicago

I live in Toronto, and you're right. It is bloody cursed! Basically, Canadians across the country make it a national sport to hate Toronto, and so when the city has legitimate needs (ie. funding to keep up our once-world-class transit system!) neither the province nor the feds is willing to come through. Whereas American cities get bags and bags of money from senior governments for transit projects!

And so I'm not surprised that you would get stuck in a traffic jam!

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2002 :  12:09:03

-----
TCP/IP server : 216.130.83.218 L: 68kmla p:68000
Http Server URL: Http://homepage.mac.com/catsdorule/ (Web access to manuals)
FTP Server: ftp://216.130.83.218/Library/WebServer/documents l/p 68kmla/68000Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2002 :  14:17:07
quote:

quote:

- scchicago

I live in Toronto, and you're right. It is bloody cursed! Basically, Canadians across the country make it a national sport to hate Toronto, and so when the city has legitimate needs (ie. funding to keep up our once-world-class transit system!) neither the province nor the feds is willing to come through. Whereas American cities get bags and bags of money from senior governments for transit projects!

And so I'm not surprised that you would get stuck in a traffic jam!

GORDOOM
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."

That is so true! Man I would not want to go there not with the garbage strikes, what is it like?

-----
TCP/IP server : 216.130.83.218 L: 68kmla p:68000
Http Server URL: Http://homepage.mac.com/catsdorule/ (Web access to manuals)
FTP Server: ftp://216.130.83.218/Library/WebServer/documents l/p 68kmla/68000Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2002 :  18:54:55
The strikes are actually long over, but they just go further to illustrate the problems that got dumped on us: when the "mega-city" was formed, Toronto was basically turned into a massive entity that was deliberately structured so as to have a dysfunctional political process, and then was denied access to the money that it needed to actually provide the services that it was supposed to provide!

(You see, in Canada cities don't actually exist on the level of federal law at all; the laws defining cities exist on the provincial level only. Thus, the cities are creatures of the provinces, and so the Ontario government is able to do whatever it wants to Toronto with near-total impunity. In the US, cities exist as entities in their own right, not created or defined by the several states, and so the feds often deal with them directly. Witness the billions in infrastructure funds that come out of Congress every year - the Canadian government puts almost no funding into municipal infrastructure here!)

I can go into further detail on this, but I might bore people too badly...

GORDOOM
total Macs liberated: 22
(as of June 5, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2002 :  20:04:46
quote:

I can go into further detail on this, but I might bore people too badly...

nah! it's fascinating! i like learning about the french quarter of the 51st state!

seriously tho, it's interesting to hear about another dysfunctional arrangement. NYC and NY State have a similar kind of situation, but the power is split fairly evenly due to population distribution and economic clout.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.