Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em..

As that great Mac technician Kenny Rogers said, 
You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run

In one of my other threads you have seen my battles with a 5120 from eBay and as @techknight sagely said, you have no idea if the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. We have little or no knowledge sometimes whether something other than caps leakage caused our vintage Mac to give up its chime. In common with other collectibles, it seems knowing the provenance is increasingly useful.

But I digress. I recently got notified about another FB Mac Portable which interestingly came with a case and manuals and original installation floppies and a couple of other bits of Apple paraphernalia. Described as non-booting, but the bottom case photo showed all the feet intact and in place (sometimes seeing missing ones tells you ominously someone has already poked around inside), I asked if the seller knew the history. Turns out it was his father's who bought it from new, at some point had bought new main battery when they were still available and the original gave out. It ended up in the attic when it no longer was up to the computing tasks required of it. So I gambled on it not being too out of true and it showed up yesterday.

Board looked clean so I powered it up from the molex on the MB eliminating the batteries and was greeted with a clean display, pointy arrow then flashing disk. I could hear the Connor ticking so that is obviously in need of TLC. But pulled out the trusty Floppy EMU, hooked it up and off it went. Screen looks perfect, no lines or apparent missing pixels. I almost cried.

So now I'll brave a second recap, but may avoid the ultrasonic bathing for now. I'll still revisit the other board and maybe I'll get lucky, but maybe it will never return to life. I'm okay with that.

Now just need to source a replacement battery/refurbished case and look at a cable adaptor to put a SCSI2HD in there as I suspect the Connor may have spun its last platter. If anyone has pointers for the former two, please let me know. I know some folks like to keep the spinny sound alive but I'm okay with a little bit of retromod.

Happy tinkering...

Stuart

Recap done, waiting on battery and hard drive cable to connect SCSI2HD. The 40SC is shot by the sounds and gunky edges, I don’t see any successful resurrection of these. 

7FF52877-2F83-4970-956B-2DD62EB03DD8.jpeg

3 hours ago, PowerMac_G4 said:

God, I want a Portable. They are just so beautiful. Congratulations on obtaining a really lovely machine – I don't know if I've ever seen one in better physical condition than yours!

It’s a shame it’s not the backlit one but maybe I’ll keep an eye out for its cousin…

Got the battery and drive cable in from @360alaska, so buttoning everything back up. Dual partitions set up for 6.0.8 and 7.1. Decided to use the SCSI2SD in this and the BlueScsi in the Color Classic (although HD is still spinning well in that.)

Just now, desertrout said:

Congrats on a smooth refurb! What did you end up doing with the other Portable?

On days when I feel masochistic I will probably go prod the logic board some more. It also needs some work on the screen (or cable) as I see vertical lines on it. It did have some better condition body parts which migrated to this one.

On 6/5/2021 at 12:54 AM, at0z said:

Recap done, waiting on battery and hard drive cable to connect SCSI2HD. The 40SC is shot by the sounds and gunky edges, I don’t see any successful resurrection of these. 

7FF52877-2F83-4970-956B-2DD62EB03DD8.jpeg

I fixed a gunked up conner. Key is to do it BEFORE you spin it up and destroy the platter/heads. 

20 hours ago, techknight said:

I fixed a gunked up conner. Key is to do it BEFORE you spin it up and destroy the platter/heads. 

I think it died before I got it. It doesn't actually spin up, the platters look clean but the drive has a nervous tic. It seems to spin freely by hand but either the motor is shot or the controller is.