this was basically in a multi-page review of new nubus cards in the may 1987 issue of macuser

I had to wonder if a nubus ram card really worked well especially if compared to just buying/upgrading the actual installed ram itself instead?

and hmm I thought I recall someone starting a long thread about offloaded network cards but I'm not sure where that went to, wonder if whoever the op there was would had known of this particular ast-icp card shown below too?

macuser_may1987_ast.jpg

• 68kMLA Supporter
20 hours ago, chelseayr said:

and hmm I thought I recall someone starting a long thread about offloaded network cards but I'm not sure where that went to, wonder if whoever the op there was would had known of this particular ast-icp card shown below too?

Looks like it's a multi-port multi-protocol (high-speed?) serial interface that uses A/ROSE (hence the "intelligent").  It's mentioned as having a side use as a development platform for A/ROSE in the Macintosh Coprocessor Platform Developer's Guide.

Those cards are cool.  I've heard of the other three, but not the ICP card.  According to the Macintosh II Reference Guide, it was designed as a general purpose interface card for A/UX, but if you're running System 7, it can be configured for AppleTalk and AppleTalk bridges.  So I would imagine it integrates very well with AppleTalk Internet Router, and essentially turns your Mac into a FastPath or Gatorbox without much overhead. :)

Phew, must have been an expensive card!  It had a full 512KB of RAM + 68000 & A/ROSE.