REVIEW: Kensington Tilt/Swivel for Compact Macs

• 68kMLA Supporter

I haven’t finished watching yet but I already love it.  I always wanted one of these things.

Also there is something pleasantly comical about the shipping box being labeled “GROUND BEEF PATTIES”

I was hoping someone would notice the text on that shipping box.  :-) But it was really the perfect size to ship the product box, so I see why the seller chose it.  As you can see in the video, it is a nice product and works quite well!

@ymk Thanks for watching!

Yes, this newest version model really does look the best, I think.  The model just prior to it also looks nice too.  That slightly older model simply lacks official support for mounting the Color Classic.

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

Great review. You also included a snip of an old Curtis Technologies MacUser ad that solved a small mystery for me — I apparently have the Curtis “MacFeet” but never knew what it was! (It has no identifying markings of any kind.) It’s a simple but well-designed little doohickey that elevates the front of my SE/30 up to a more comfortable viewing angle. 

Edited by Crutch

Awesome!... I actually have one of these... but just the 'stand', no box / instructions -- so had no idea it could be used 'backwards' for the CC / CCII.  :cc:

Fantastic to know that!... will be placing my CCII on it as soon as I'm finished with the restore... Thanks @JDW!

• 68kMLA Supporter
21 minutes ago, mg.man said:

Awesome!... I actually have one of these... but just the 'stand', no box / instructions -- so had no idea it could be used 'backwards' for the CC / CCII.  :cc:

Fantastic to know that!... will be placing my CCII on it as soon as I'm finished with the restore... Thanks @JDW!

I actually have the Box for these (without the manual) and it never crossed my mind I can use it with my Color Classic II! I'm so trying this out in a few hours, loved using it on my SE/30! 

EzVml-RUcAQY_zu-2.jpeg

• 68kMLA Supporter
Posted (edited)

I can't believe that this worked (sorry about the low quality pics this time around)! My Mac Tilt/Swivel never mentions any other macs past the SE/30 and it seems to have been manufactured in 1989, pre classic/performa series of the compacts. 

Were the CC feet designed to follow the same footprint of the previous compact macs or was it a happy accident? 

186540269_1261439470965824_5648760826480884223_n.jpg

187923747_962559014516166_6159148330556548768_n.jpg

Edited by BacioiuC

I enjoyed seeing the lovely CC photos!

As to the silkscreened branding, my version, which matches that of @mg.man, has the Kensington logo appear on the bottom curved part and also appears on the upper flat part.  So whether you use a CC or an SE/30, you will see the Kensington logo.

@Crutch

Excellent photos. Thank you!  Interesting to see that product in actual use. The feet seem to have a rubber piece on the bottom. But of course, the back end of the Mac is just plastic on the table surface.  Very interesting!

• 68kMLA Supporter

Not quite! The angle is precisely chosen such that the rear of the Mac is about one millimeter off the table surface. Only the rear feet touch the table.