SE/30 Chimes of Death and Simasimac after Recap

I recapped a very dirty SE/30 motherboard, pads were so dirty it took 3 q tips each to get the gunk off, by far the dirtiest board I've ever recapped. I got this computer locally from a guy, and he showed pictures of it powered on with simasimac, not the thick horizontal bars type, but the one with lots of tiny lines. I haven't tried turning it on before I recapped it, and didn't ask him if it chimed. The computer didn't have any simms onboard, so I ordered a Rominator and 16mb of ram. The ram is 2 chip though, which I'll get back to in a second. The computer turns on with Chimes of death and simasimac, I've heard from MrFahrenheit that it doesn't like 2 chip? I'm pretty sure Rom is good and seated well because when it's removed it doesn't chime at all. Can someone help me here? I'm wondering if this is bad RAM. Thanks.

Chime of death means that it can read the ROM. So the RAM may be the problem. I had a SE/30 board that chimed with a chime of death and the problem was one very corroded F258 chip. Could be your two chip RAM too. I would buy 8 1MB chips.

How many RAM chips did you install? There is a documentation in the web, how to upgrade the RAM in macs.

http://akarchive.digidesign.com/support/docs/memguide.pdf

Edited by dochilli

Go for the simple stuff and assume RAM first; the seller could have thought the death chime indicated a reasonably healthy board.  I'd also check your cleaning around the caps check no traces were removed with your Q-tips.

• 68kMLA Supporter

Simasimac/garbled video can also be a loose ROM SIMM, though probably not with death chimes - but still worth a try. It has to be very tight in the SIMM socket and some ROM SIMM sockets have become temperamental over time - you can use a rubber band wrapped around the ROM SIMM and lopped into the front groove on the board to keep it tight in the socket.

Try with matching RAM SIMMs in bank A only first, make sure they are tight in the SIMM sockets. If any of the plastic tabs on the SIMM sockets are broken, use a rubber band to pull them toward the front of the board to keep them tight in the sockets.

I tried removing the ROM, and it didn't make any chimes at all. Put it back in and chimes of death again. So probably not the ROM. Strangely, when the RAM is removed, it makes the normal Rominator boot chime but simasimac as well. Is that supposed to happen when RAM is removed? None of the tabs are broken and I'm sure they're pushed in correctly.

• 68kMLA Supporter

So what RAM are you using, is it a pair of 4 matching SIMMs in Bank A only to start with? A photo would be handy.

the SE/30 is picky about RAM and where you put it. 

If its known good RAM that works in other SE/30s, chances are you have a broken trace to the RAM slots from one of the chips, or the 74F258 muxes are bad and need replaced. 

I don't have any other SE/30's to test it with, I have new ram coming along. I removed UE8 and the 2 other chips on both sides of it, and cleaned and put back on, but no change. It's just 4 4mb 2 chip simms in the bank closest to the rom simm. Which chip is the 74F258 muxes?

10 minutes ago, cadenya said:

I don't have any other SE/30's to test it with, I have new ram coming along. I removed UE8 and the 2 other chips on both sides of it, and cleaned and put back on, but no change. It's just 4 4mb 2 chip simms in the bank closest to the rom simm. Which chip is the 74F258 muxes?

UI2-4 and UJ2-4, between the RAM sockets and the battery holder. They were to blame when I had similar issues.

I did have to fix a few traces, there were 2 black ones, those are the blue and black wires although I looked up that chip and it was just a serial chip so i don't think that would have helped. There was also a broken one near the group of the caps where the power plug is, you can see where I scraped away the solder mask to see the broken trace, I ran a wire underneath the board. I'm also pretty sure the chimes are not slow or fast, although I'll upload a video of it so you can see.

In that 3rd photo down, there is visible corrosion on the pins in the power molex and on the main board. Have you washed the board with something to neutralize the corrosion (like vinegar)?

There also looks like a bad trace between C9 and C10, but hard to tell from photo.

Edited by mattsoft
22 hours ago, cadenya said:

What symptoms did your SE/30 have? That area is the cleanest area on the entire board so I don't think they're bad. Is there a way to test that without getting new chips?

Vertical bars and chimes of death. Mine had a lot of visible corrosion around those chips, though.

10 hours ago, cadenya said:

Are you talking about the thick vertical bars or the one like mine?

Thick bars in my case. But if you see thick bars or the ones you have is just a matter of the video ROM version (I think?).