• 68kMLA Supporter

I'm not certain, but I think that the timing of holding down CMD+OPT+P+R affects what it clears.   I can't remember if the demarcation was the chime of the black screen/gray screen transition.   But way back when it seemed that holding down CMD+OPT+P+R  earlier cleared NVRAM and  PRAM, but pressing the keys either after chime or after gray screen only cleared PRAM.

I may have been wrong, but this could be what you're experiencing.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 68kMLA Supporter
6 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

For clarity, again, the aim here is not to solve the general problem.  In theory you could implement PCI enumeration in OF Forth, I'm sure, but you've only got a bit under 2kbyte of nvram space to play with, and OF is verbose and uses horrible long names.  So I'm not sure you could actually fit an implementation of enumeration in the space available.

So, what we're hopefully going to end up with is patches for a few useful cards and a method for building new patches for others.  I'm frankly not intending to spend the rest of my life building nvram patches in Forth, but I definitely want to document it well enough that reasonably technical people can do it themselves.

Just want to be very clear so that folks aren't disappointed :-).

Understood.  It's good to focus on one issue.    But I figured it can't hurt to mention the related issue.  

Do you know what controls the size of the NVRAM chip?   Programmed in Firmware?  Address space in GLUE? 

I ask because the SOIC pattern is compatible with a 32Kbit SRAM, so if the extra address line is implemented (might not be) then, in theory, one could go from 16Kbit to 32Kbit and double the NVRAM size.    Might be misremembering the SRAM sizes there.

Several years ago I actually soldered the larger SRAM in place and the board worked just fine.  But I'm not enough of a programmer to really test whether the capacity was expanded.   TattleTech still reported the same size, but I don't know if it was detecting it, or just reporting what ought to be there.

• 68kMLA Supporter
6 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

That would be really handy, thankyou, if you could dig that out—I'd like to have a go at that :-)Support for the RTL8139 is built in to OS 9, is it?  (Sorry if that's a silly question, I'm a bit out of my normal "era" of hardware here :-)).

I will look for it.  I know where it ought to be, unless I attic'd it and forgot that I did so.   It will probably be at least a day or so.  Work is super busy right now and I haven't slept for more than day.   Typing this in the 30 minutes between afternoon meetings.

I've been working nights, which let's me use unmovable equipment in the office and stay isolated.   But it makes afternoon meetings problematical...

I can't remember wrt to the 8139.  For the 8169, RealTek released drivers for Classic OS and then drivers for each of the OSX versions, until they stopped.   Maybe through Tiger?

Anyway, might be a loose RealTek driver for the 8139.  I'll check my RealTek folder on my Mac when I have a chance.

• 68kMLA Supporter
1 hour ago, trag said:

I'm not certain, but I think that the timing of holding down CMD+OPT+P+R affects what it clears.   I can't remember if the demarcation was the chime of the black screen/gray screen transition.   But way back when it seemed that holding down CMD+OPT+P+R  earlier cleared NVRAM and  PRAM, but pressing the keys either after chime or after gray screen only cleared PRAM.

I may have been wrong, but this could be what you're experiencing.

In the interest of overkill, in both cases I held the keys through five consecutive chimes on a warm restart. You may be right, though in this case the TAM keyboard definitely behaves differently than the AppleDesign.

• 68kMLA Supporter
15 hours ago, trag said:

Work is super busy right now and I haven't slept for more than day.   Typing this in the 30 minutes between afternoon meetings.

I've been working nights, which let's me use unmovable equipment in the office and stay isolated.   But it makes afternoon meetings problematical...

That sounds ... deeply suboptimal :/.

14 hours ago, jeremywork said:

In the interest of overkill, in both cases I held the keys through five consecutive chimes on a warm restart. You may be right, though in this case the TAM keyboard definitely behaves differently than the AppleDesign.

With mine, Cmd-Opt-P-R doesn't clear NVRAM, but O-F does get me into OF.  Most of the time.

Weird, weird machines, these.