Is anyone making SE/30 accelerators?

Hey all,

So, I'm a collector of many different systems, and one thing I have noticed that seems to be "missing" from the 68K Mac scene is modern day accelerators.

The Amiga and Atari 68K scene have many modern day accelerators, with more and more being announced every few months. You have the works of Stephen "terriblefire" Leary accelerating both Amiga and Atari ST systems. You have Buffee, you have Vampire and more! There's also the commercial stuff from Individual Computers.

Yet here in Macland, there just doesn't seem to be much at all modern designs, which is odd, as there are plenty of historical accelerators available for Macs. (The first mac I ever regularly used was a Mac 128 that had been first upgraded to a 512, then had an '030 accelerator slotted in, sitting piggy back in the 68K socket)

Is there just too much of a fragmented market for Mac fans? (Eg the Amiga had 7 models, the ST had about the same, The Mac had over a dozen in just the 68K based Macs)

This is not meant to be seen as a "Mac Bash" BTW, I :wub: my SE/30 with a passion. If someone was making a modern accelerator for it, I'd certainly be interested in it :-)

(My "dream" upgrade would probably be some sort of '040 accelerator, plus either ethernet or, better yet, WiFi. My PDS port is currently occupied by my SCSI2SD, thus my preference for WiFi)

Cheers, and thanks for any information!

Chesh

• 68kMLA Supporter
17 minutes ago, ArmorAlley said:

Look up 'Bolle' and 'SE/30'.

He is our god at the moment.

^ This. Our fellow member Bolle has recreated several accelerators for the SE/30 and the likes. The Carrera040, DayStar Turbo040, Diimo030, DayStar PowerCache... That, and his Combo adapter make a mean SE/40 or faster SE/30. That said, he makes them in batches, as they are hand assembled and often rely on the supply of hard to get ICs, and there are currently none for sale. Keep your eyes out in our Trading Post, that is where he will post when he has a new batch available.

• 68kMLA Supporter
5 minutes ago, CheshireNoir said:

Is there just too much of a fragmented market for Mac fans? (Eg the Amiga had 7 models, the ST had about the same, The Mac had over a dozen in just the 68K based Macs)

Part of the reason here is that the Mac didn't "die" in the way that those platforms did, and that for the most part backwards-compatibility remained good for a long time.  So prospective accelerator makers are not only competing with old accelerators, and not only have to deal with the large numbers of architectures, but also are competing with, say, just getting a Mac Mini G4 or similar off eBay for cheap (I think I got mine for about 30GBP) and installing OS 9 on it; and suddenly you have a 1.4ish GHz classic mac that'll run nearly all classic software.  Frankly, at this stage, for people who actually want speed, there's no way a modern accelerator could economically compete with that kind of option. 

A couple of semi-parallels here: nobody really makes madly fast accelerators for old PCs, because generally one can go out and get a faster PC.  Also, consider RISC OS; it would not, at this point, be viable to produce an accelerator for, say, the RiscPC when it would be competing with just running the latest RISC OS on a raspberry pi.

The difference comes for people who are attached to a specific model, of course; the SE/30 is a .... more popular computer than it deserves to be, for example.  But the main interest there still seems to be in them as historical artefacts, and interest more seems to be in recreations of historical accelerators that were expensive back in the day and vanishingly rare now.  This is where Bolle shines.  There's no particular reason why someone couldn't design a new one, but nobody seems particularly interested in actually doing so.

There's also, I think, a cultural footnote here.  Amiga folks are violently defensive of "their" platform, often beyond the bounds of all sanity or pleasantness; and there's a kind of denial there that these computers are not modern computers and cannot realistically be made to be.  Atari folks seem to have that less, but still do to an extent.  It's much harder to feel this about 68k Macs, which are perhaps more obviously unsuitable for daily modern use, partly because of the existence of much faster more modern macs. So most people seem to be more interested in running period software as well as possible for the period, rather than just whacking it all up to 11.

I guess my point of view is I could never afford an SE/30 (But wanted one) at the time, and having a "maxed out" one is an extra kick. 

I'll keep my eyes peeled for things from Bolle.

(I stick addons in most of my systems, usually, where possible, quality of life improvements. In my SE/30s case that has meant SCSI2SD, 20MB of RAM, a ROMinator and a Floppy Emu. Sometimes, though, you want something speedy)

Cheers!

Chesh

• 68kMLA Supporter

Oh, yeah, I didn't at all mean to tell you what you should want :-) you should do what makes you enjoy the hobby.  More just explaining the social background.

(btw, I just realised I omitted to say welcome to the forums!  It's nice to have you aboard.  Looks like you have a fun collection there)